Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My top reasons - What are yours?

Gals "Looks Pretty" - Guys "Looks Badass" = Pretty Badass
Prefer the confident highway tracking provided by the relaxed rake and longer trail
Truer to original Indian production designs
Smart phone on nacelle paired with a BT set provides soooooooo much with voice only
Can strip to "Classic Naked" - and quickly too!.
Grin Factor Level - 1901
No matter what protection or comforts one adds - "rain falls through the roof" - Embrace!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,995 Posts
Chieftain/RM compared with the Vintage, are two different animals. They appeal to different folks ,for different reasons... Usually its the distressed leather that sucks folks in .. or .. the rake... or able to strip it down like a classic

I love my Chieftain .. but then ... already have a KM Vintage :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Did they reduce the rake on the new 2016s so they turn sharper?
Russ,
Had the change to lead Indian Demo rides for three days on 16 different 2016 bikes of all models.
The rake difference between the Chief's and the fairing models is still there.... Thank God!

I love my Vintage and it's extra 6" of wheel base!!

Cheers,
D-Man

·
4,503 Posts
I have to agree that the Vintage captures the Indian spirit better than the Chieftain or Roadmaster. They truly are beautiful bikes that have panache and pay homage to the Indians of yesteryear! That said I like the comfort of my RM and find it easier to handle. But if I had the $$$ I would buy one in a second.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had plans to get the Scout initially and had paid the deposit also. But during the wait reading the forums I saw that a lot of them were trading in their Scouts for bigger Indian's - Dark Horse, Vintage or the Chieftain. So, I test rode the Chieftain and also the Vintage today at the Twin Cities Indian Motorcycles, St. Paul and here is what I observed...
  • The Vintage looks awesome - without the windshield - and did not feel any vibrations on the floor board. Loved the style. Did not like the placement of the instruments cluster on the gas tank.
  • The Chieftain looks nice and comfortable and stately (but not portly:) ). Same engine note and also like the placement of the instrument cluster.
So... I am transferring my deposit on the Scout to a 2015 Chieftain and getting a Thunder Black color (black color makes the Indian emblem/graphic on the gas tank stand out more I think).

I am getting the 2015 Chieftain because they have the 5 year warranty and a $1500 incentive on the 2015 models.

What do you experienced members think?

·
Rider
2021 Roadmaster
671 Posts
I had plans to get the Scout initially and had paid the deposit also. But during the wait reading the forums I saw that a lot of them were trading in their Scouts for bigger Indian's - Dark Horse, Vintage or the Chieftain. So, I test rode the Chieftain and also the Vintage today at the Twin Cities Indian Motorcycles, St. Paul and here is what I observed...
  • The Vintage looks awesome - without the windshield - and did not feel any vibrations on the floor board. Loved the style. Did not like the placement of the instruments cluster on the gas tank.
  • The Chieftain looks nice and comfortable and stately (but not portly:) ). Same engine note and also like the placement of the instrument cluster.
So... I am transferring my deposit on the Scout to a 2015 Chieftain and getting a Thunder Black color (black color makes the Indian emblem/graphic on the gas tank stand out more I think).

I am getting the 2015 Chieftain because they have the 5 year warranty and a $1500 incentive on the 2015 models.

What do you experienced members think?
I will tell you what I think. I am picking up my 2015 Chieftain tomorrow. :) ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Did they reduce the rake on the new 2016s so they turn sharper?
Russ: Rake is the same for the Classic and Vintage - be happy! - Longer rake and trail makes a bike slightly more stable - and at speed on the road, the thing really tracks a serious straight line - taking curves is not a problem.. A shorter rake is more responsive, but that said, it will put you in the wrong lane quicker. Just a matter of preference and physics - engineering is the art compromise. Now if you are looking to knee drag at high speed - any of the chiefs are not your cycle.

·
1,956 Posts
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

There comes a time in life when:

1. Motor scooters are just too damn small to even think about
2. You're tired of falling off dirt bikes
3. You've had so many adventures that you're over Adventure Bikes
4. You've almost died at warp speeds on Sports rockets and you wanna live longer
5. Sleeping in the saddle has ruined your bum - you're due for bum replacement surgery, so no more tourers
6. You don't want to look like a pirate any more, YOU just wanna be YOU

All of which boils down to the fact that you're ready for a CRUISER...

..... AND NOT JUST ANY FRIGGIN' CRUISER

YOU'RE READY FOR AN INDIAN....

..... and not just any Indian....

YOU'RE READY FOR A......

VINTAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Founding Member
682 Posts
IMO if you are going to tour on a MC, the Goldwing wins hand down.
If you are not going to tour on a MC and don't want to ride a behemoth, the Vintage fits nicely.

My wife and I tour on our Vintage. No 800 mile days, but 300 - 500 not a problem. My arse gets sore before hers does, I don't know how she does it. Stock seats, both have back rests, her's is tall model - Dan

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's a great looking bike and the best bargain in the bunch. If you outfit a Classic like a Vintage you're going spend a lot more money and you can go from touring bike to stripped down cruiser in a matter of minutes. Plus the thing handles like a dream on the freeway at 100 mph.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I looked at the Chieftain first and very closely before buying an Indian. The price difference between the Vintage and Chieftain gives you a lot of stuff for not much cash but I ended up going with the Vintage because it can quickly become a Classic or be used as an old school touring bike. You can't do that with the Chieftain. The Vintage is not as homey nor as well equipped with creature comforts but it is damned easy on the eyes and is an extremely substantial scooter.
Incidentally, I visited a, yet to be open Indian showroom, at a local dealer yesterday for the second time and may do so again today. They have a mix of models on the unfinished floor all 2016 models. One RM, a Chieftain, two Vintages and three Scouts. If I could have two bikes I would ride the Chieftain again but also the HD Ultra Classic before making a choice but I think the Vintage is in my garage to stay.

Reactions: Will
1 - 20 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.