Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rider
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used my local dealer with usually good results for more than 2 years with my 2017 Springfield. I have them do all of the required service and even extended the original warranty for an additional 3 years when the factory warranty expired. Now it is time for the 25K mile service and they quoted me $345. OK says I and how much to go ahead and do the front fork oil flush/service?

Now I get quoted $1,010 just to do the forks for a total of $1,355. I called the next closest dealer, about 100 miles from home vs 15 for the local guys get a quote of $800 OTD for both the 25K and the fork services. An extra 85 miles each way is just a nice ride and saves me $555 so guess where I am going for service. It makes no sense for service fees to vary much less to vary by numbers like these. Unless I run into any issue with this service I think the local greedy service guys screwed the pooch as I probably won't be back.

Also at the local shop it is getting harder and harder to get a straight answer regarding "needed" service. They wanted to do the forks at the 15K service but admitted it was not "required" and I said pass. They wanted to do them at 20K and again given the fees they were quoting I elected to hold off until 25K. The forks don't leak a drop and the bike handles just fine. When I complained about the $1,010 quote this morning they told me to just wait until 30K miles or when they start to leak... Seriously???

I think I'm going to call and speak to the local manager and see if I get a straight answer. I'd rather continue to have the bike serviced locally here in Tucson but I now beginning to rethink that strategy.

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

·
Bronze member
4,281 Posts
The fork service depends on the bike, the fairing bikes take longer vs the non fairing bikes. That could be the difference in price. One was quoted for the fairing and the other for non fairing bikes. .I remember seeing here that the shop job times were 5 to 6 hours labor and then parts. Others that have done the fork job said the cost was about what you have stated here.

·
Rider
768 Posts
Dealers do vary in service price. Many, or most go off of prescribed time found in shop manuals. Some know that their techs can knock out the job in much less time. And then there is shop rates that vary from location to location. When I had my Stage 2 cams installed, my local dealer wanted $350 more than the dealer about 100 miles away. The funny thing is that they both have the same owner. I just told my local dealer about the price difference and they very nearly matched it.

·
Founding member
2,212 Posts
The dealers are independent contractors and are free to establish their own shop rates.
Also, pretty common dealer answer regarding the front forks ... many of us have delayed this maintenance step for 5K, 10K or more miles. Pretty expensive with few potential problems/little risk if it is delayed.

·
Bronze member
3,468 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again... at that price (which seems to be the standard ball park reported).. I'll ride mine until I see a leak... whether it's 15K or 100K... the price is all in the labor..

·
Rider
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP here... i had a couple of good conversations with the dealerships general manager yesterday. They have had some personnel turnover and the new guy I spoke with was less than clear. I am bringing the SF in next week {first available} for just the 25k mile service and their quote has remained at $345 and I can live with that. The 30K mile service is a major event where they flush the front forks and brakes, change out the plugs and air filter along with all of the usual adjustments. Other items addressed get the bill to $1,000 mas y menos and while I find that absurd it is what it is... sigh.

As I said before the service has been good and they are 15 miles down the road so I will continue to use them. As I usually ride 1,000 miles a month I have effectively kicked the financial can down the road for 5 months and I continue to be amazed at what a great bike the Springfield is every time I ride.

:cool:

·
Bronze member
2,702 Posts
You’ll find IM service intervals to be overly conservative...specifically fork oil and belt replacement. I wouldn’t change the fork oil until 30k. If you’re planning on keeping the bike, replace the seals at that time. I had a fork leak at 15k, so I got new fork oil when it was repaired under warranty...couldn’t tell the difference.

Regarding service cost...each dealer sets that and their hourly labor rate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just dropped off my 17 Springfield today for the 30k service, love my bike but ouch, seems I could trade it for a 20 model and use the price of service for down payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
With ever increasing hourly labor shop service rates, I can't help but wonder if the intent is to make maintenance costs so high that you trade it in for a new bike because it seems more cost effective if you can't do the work yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts