Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sold my Scout a couple years ago and am itching to get back on one. I had a Thunder black Smoke Scout that I regret selling. Saw the Scout prices have increased and now there is a 60 available.

I like the all black wheels on the 60, the black engine is 50/50 compared to the polished highlights, and like the tan seat of the 69 much more.

Any reason to spend that much more to go back to a Scout?

·
Registered
62 Posts
From a stock power standpoint, I don't think you'd miss much going with the 60. There are some differences in suspension you might want to look into. Also, the 69 has the added gear (between 4th and 5th on the 60). Whether that's all worth the significant cost increase is up to you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The 60 looks better , and 1-4 is exactly the same , with the 6th being in 5th on the 60. I like the matte black better personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
There are a few threads that compare the two. I put my comment in one where my wife and I have one of each. We rode last weekend and swapped back and forth a few times. With casual riding there is next to no difference. Her Scout is a touch quicker. My 60 gets 10-15 more mpg’s. They ride identically. I feel no need to “upgrade” to a Scout.

·
Registered
809 Posts
There are a few threads that compare the two. I put my comment in one where my wife and I have one of each. We rode last weekend and swapped back and forth a few times. With casual riding there is next to no difference. Her Scout is a touch quicker. My 60 gets 10-15 more mpg’s. They ride identically. I feel no need to “upgrade” to a Scout.
Casual riding might be the best I've heard it said.

Neither is a touring bike. The difference in engine size is so negligible that neither is going to be any better or worse at doing any bit of touring that you do. Neither is going to be better or worse at handling, comfort, or two-up riding as the geometry and oem parts are identical and, again, the power is negligible.

I demo'd a 69 and bought a 60 for the price and the blacked-out look - I don't have any buyer's remorse or feel like I'm missing the extra HP. I take it on 2 and 3 hour road trips and the wife and I regularly ride 2-up with no issues.

I'll also second that I seem to get better gas mileage than most in the scout forums and until bhf said it, it never dawned on me it could be the engine size. I fill up consistently at 136-140 miles and it's always 2.6-2.7 gallons that I end up putting in. That's almost 52 mpg consistently.

·
Bronze member
1,388 Posts
With a $2500 difference in basic black, non-ABS, it would be an easy decision for me.

My (big) Scout was preowned and low miles, and admittedly chosen over the 60 because of a want for more power. Although there also weren't any 60's for less money around at the time. If I knew then what I know now I would get a Scout Sixty if the prices were $1000 or more between the two; new, or pre-owned with low miles.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I come from the world of “very fast “. IE: sport bikes
My 60 is the bike I go out and relax on. For me it is my “big” bike. I put a Corbin on it and it is my touring bike. I love to get out there and just cruise. 2-300 miles is no big deal. I love the sound of the engine hum and how smooth it is. My wife’s 69 for whatever reason I can’t hear. Mine is a 17 and hers an 18. For me I’ll take the gas mileage and forgo the extra 20 hp. I also like the blacked out look. For me it is not “I should have bought a 69. She has offered to trade. I’m perfectly happy with the 60.

·
Rider
675 Posts
sold my Scout a couple years ago and am itching to get back on one. I had a Thunder black Smoke Scout that I regret selling. Saw the Scout prices have increased and now there is a 60 available.

I like the all black wheels on the 60, the black engine is 50/50 compared to the polished highlights, and like the tan seat of the 69 much more.

Any reason to spend that much more to go back to a Scout?
NEW OR USED,,I’ve seen 2016,2017 for a great price,, I think like $ 9000.00 low miles. Some 2015s even lower. Lots of options available. SO YEAH ,, jump on a scout 69 or 60. You’ll be glad you did.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've owned both and I say buy the 69, or buy the 60 and spend the money to upgrade to what the 69 already is.

·
Rider
675 Posts
I've owned both and I say buy the 69, or buy the 60 and spend the money to upgrade to what the 69 already is.
Ya know,, I see black 60’s all over the place, yup super nice looking bobbers, I park next to um sometimes and they look the same . 999cc or 1133cc. Me personally,, I’d like the 1133 to be 1500 or 1600 cc’s.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I got the 60 because I thought the chrome heads look terrible on the bike. Also, the 69 frame is not black. I think the savings on buying the Scout 60 could be better spent on parts needed for either Scout (seat, muffler). Not have ridden a 69, I don't know performance differences, but the 60 has all I need.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 2018 Scout 60 was $8995, a no brainer. When the dust settles I will have added the passenger seat and pegs, sissy bar, saddlebags, 10 inch apes, Mustang seat, floor boards, Avon grips, LED headlight , Denali horn, S and S intake, RCX slip ons, and a Fuel Moto tuner and still spent less than they wanted for a "big" Scout!

·
Registered
62 Posts
To add to my original statement, I ended up going with the 69 simply for the added gear. I don't do any real highway riding, so I really wanted a "true" 5th gear - and I use it quite frequently. The extra finishing touches and modest power increase are just frosting.

Power-wise, I still don't think there's enough difference to justify the price.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,686 Posts
Outside of a missing gear and some horsepower there isn't much of a difference. The tires may still be Kendas on the Sixty and there's less polished and chrome bits but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Buy the 60, do the mods that you like, then purchase a PVCX or PV-3 and let'er rip. On my Scout 60 I had, from the factory, we found out from Fuel Moto & DynoJet, the wide open throttle is restricted. Flashing a new map that corrected this issue, really made my Scout 60 come alive with an intake and exhaust mods. You can search this site for the info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts