Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that IMC doesn't recommend a installing the front mud flap on the Chieftain. I know the fork angle is different but does it hit the highway bar or something? Anybody tried one on a Chieftain?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I noticed that IMC doesn't recommend a installing the front mud flap on the Chieftain. I know the fork angle is different but does it hit the highway bar or something? Anybody tried one on a Chieftain?
I saw a pic with one on a chieftan I am going to try as soon as I can find one

·
Registered
208 Posts
My guess it that is is just the fork angle. I've seen Chieftains with flaps both with and without fringes and they seem to be fine. The fenders do have the threaded studs on the inside, so mounting is fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's all about the money... make accessories add-ons rather than original equipment... AND charge top dollar for them. Simple?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I installed the fringe flap on the front fender on my Cheiftain. I guess the worry is that it might catch and prevent a turn. It seems like a remote possibility...Likely won't catch..but it is safe to say don't do it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured the fenders are all the same to keep production costs lower so that is why the studs are there, just wondered if anybody had tried it on their bike. It sounds like Danos mounted one without any issues so that is good to hear. Thanks for all the responses guys!

·
Registered
191 Posts
With rake on the Chieftain the flap could in a deep hole or speed bump hit the bike as it rises not a real big deal, but it will rip the bolts out of the fender in the worst case. Just take a good look at it and you will see how.

·
Founding member
686 Posts
Have both front and rear on my Chieftain with fringe. No issues.
Any chance you could post a picture of your Chieftain with the fringed mudflaps. I've been thinking about buying them but have been unable to see what they look like on the bike.
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I am just running the rear flap with fringe on my Chieftain, think I will wait awhile to see how running a front flap with fringe works out for others.

The people at my dealership said Indian doesn't recommend a front flap with fringe, but one without fringe up front should be okay.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
I wonder if the trail has anything to do with it? Chief = 6.1, Chieftain/RM = 5.9. Two tenths of an inch may not seem much, but who knows?

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
With rake on the Chieftain the flap could in a deep hole or speed bump hit the bike as it rises not a real big deal, but it will rip the bolts out of the fender in the worst case. Just take a good look at it and you will see how.
Any update from someone who installed the front mudflap? Did it bottom out on speed bumps or potholes?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
6K miles on 2014 Chieftain with front flap, no problems!

·
Senior member / bronze
1,614 Posts
Same here 13,000 miles on my 2014 I had it installed at dealer. No issues. They did manage to break a couple studs off inside the fender installing my rear one. Jay

·
Registered
124 Posts
I, personally have sold a bunch. I'll look in the archives, see if I can pull up a picture. Works just fine. Custom is where its at. You can always mount the mud flap higher up into the well so it's not too long, if that is a concern.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I am just running the rear flap with fringe on my Chieftain, think I will wait awhile to see how running a front flap with fringe works out for others.

The people at my dealership said Indian doesn't recommend a front flap with fringe, but one without fringe up front should be okay.
What dealership you using?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Never had any issue with mine -

1 - 20 of 31 Posts