Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,545 Posts
The local HD dealer here is a non-pressure dealer. They greet you and leave you alone if your just looking. They sell a lot of HDs, and because of that there isn’t much if any negotiations on a bike. If you like/want it-there is the price tag right there on the bike. Geeez, At least they don’t try to sell you the lifestyle BS. Now at the local Indian dealer they really try to hype it up. They also don’t negotiate and didn’t want my trade. I bought my Indian from a different dealer out of town because they were willing to take my trade. The Indian dealer in my town avoids me because I didn’t buy from him. (Lol). After 3 yrs I traded my Indian in to the HD dealer for a fair price and bought the HD model I wanted. Been buying, riding, and wrenching for over 50 yrs so I don’t need a dealer to work on my stuff. Arrogance has no place at any vehicle dealership.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I had just bought my 1st Indian - a vintage. The wife had never been on a bike before so we needed to get some gear. She couldn’t find a pair of boots that fit her, so we stopped at the local HD shop to look at boots. While she’s waiting for one of the employees to stop joking around with another one to help I walked over to the accessories. Some recent high school graduate came up and asks if he could help me - no just looking. Do you ride? Yeah. What do you ride? An Indian. Why would anyone ride one of those? So I’m waiting for the laugh or other giveaway that he was kidding - nothing. Meanwhile I’m thinking $7k less than the Road King I looked at here, bigger engine, more hp, came with things already chromed that I would have to have replaced on the hd - saving even more money etc. But deciding to give him a chance to recover I respond with well, it’s not what you ride it’s that you got there on 2 wheels. He replied I don’t know that I believe that. Alrighty then!
When they ask me what I ride I ask them what are riding ? Most of the time they answer is I'm In between bike's right now! I answer YA RIGHT

·
Registered
398 Posts
After reading through this thread, I'll add my HD dealer experience. Few years back before my Indian, I had a 2014 Yamaha Stratoliner. Wife and I were at a rally in Gettysburg, PA. We had parked the bike in the field at the fairgrounds. The 30 mile ride to hotel that evening the bike handling felt a bit off. The following morning (Sunday), I found a nail in the rear tire. We were heading home early Monday morning (about 200 miles) - was not chancing that with wife on back. Called the big mega HD dealer in Gettysburg, Battlefield Harley, to see if they had a tire and would install it. Once I mentioned Yamaha, phone call was cut short - only work on HD. They did not give a reason as to why - I guess liability maybe. If it was knowledge, I knew that bike front to back - torque specs, belt tension, alignment etc.
So the search continued. I found a shop near the hotel that had a tire, but no mechanic to work on it. They directed me to a Yamaha dealer about 35 miles from hotel. They had a mechanic available, but no tire. See where this is going...
I bought tire from first shop and strapped it to bike. Rode the 35 miles to other shop to have it installed. We still go to Gettysburg several times a year- have never step foot in Battlefield HD!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice response - wish I’d have come up with that…

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hate to repost this but here goes. 2013 Road King Classic. Made an appt at the dealer for a routine oil change. Got to the dealer and then waited 4 hours for work to be completed. When I got the bike back, it was covered in oily hand prints. When I complained, the response was sorry, he's one of the new kids....I think what is going on is that they might have 1 or 2 certified harley techs, the rest are HS kids with a tech in the shop/backround. This dealer only works on harley's, they must be less than 10 years old, and you have to buy all the parts and supplies from them. Went down the road to the Indian dealer, made a amazing trade in on a Vintage and have never looked back. My buddy buys his tires online and they are happy to install them. I have heard of other Harley dealerships that are great. Not my experience.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It all varies by dealership, and even staff within a dealership. As I ride both, it is not uncommon for me to stop in the Harley dealership with an Indian shirt on. Just last week we stopped into a dealership I had not been in and my wife and I were looking at clothes. Woman working there came in and asked if I rode an Indian, I said yet. She said she loves them, they had a used one in a week or 2 ago and they are so nice. Have also had someone at the local dealership try to give me shit over it. At least I do actually see sales people (in bikes and clothing) show up and ask if I need any help within a few seconds of stepping foot into an HD dealership, pretty much always. Some of the Indian dealerships around here (all primarily polaris powersports dealers) make it hard to find someone to get help at all.
My Polaris dealership is exactly the same, and I have not stepped foot on the HD dealership since 2018 went the local HOG director told me I could not ride my 2017 Indian CDH on a Patriots day ride, after being invited by the RC - So I dropped my local HOG group. I am a LIFE Member of HOG - and still own my 2012 CVO - Harley Owners Group means just that - my Chieftain is by far the best MC I have owned in my 55+ years of riding. Don't see me going back anytime soon. Rant over.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It’s the arrogant ones with the badass biker attitudes that I can’t stand.
I was at a St. Louis HD dealer once and the salesman (a little chubby greasy guy) approached us, what you ride now? I told him a Indian, he asked if I was ready trade ( I was on my Indian my buddy on his Goldwing) I said do you take non Harley trades I don’t see anything but Harley’s). He said yeah we got a big junk pile around back we throw the Indian and Goldwing trades.
He then came outside looked at our bikes and told me what he liked about mine, the sales manager overheard him and said you changing sides? He said no I was giving them some shit too, you can ask them.
He was a funny guy and we enjoyed talking to him. I can joke and have a good time but I can tell in the first ten seconds of chatting with a salesperson if I want to stick around or leave.

·
Rider
573 Posts
My local Indian dealership is about as chill as you could ask for. A sales rep will usually give you a shout and ask if you need any help, but if you tell them you're 'just looking' they'll usually respond with, "Well, it's not a museum, so feel free to toss a leg over any that interest you," and let you get back to tire kicking. When my adult daughter and I stopped by the local H-D shop so I could look at the new Sportster S in the flesh, the young salesman there latched on to us like a lamprey and just would not leave us be.

Perhaps he'd watched 'Glengarry Glen Ross' one time too many, but one sensed that he REALLY wanted to win that steak knife set.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
5,037 Posts
My local Indian dealership is about as chill as you could ask for. A sales rep will usually give you a shout and ask if you need any help, but if you tell them you're 'just looking' they'll usually respond with, "Well, it's not a museum, so feel free to toss a leg over any that interest you," and let you get back to tire kicking. When my adult daughter and I stopped by the local H-D shop so I could look at the new Sportster S in the flesh, the young salesman there latched on to us like a lamprey and just would not leave us be.

Perhaps he'd watched 'Glengarry Glen Ross' one time too many, but one sensed that he REALLY wanted to win that steak knife set.
That Bastard !

·
Silver member
3,964 Posts
I have not been to a HD shop in years now. When I was riding Harley we had good experiences at most of the dealerships. If your in the club you are welcome but if you don’t ride the accepted bike you’re an outsider.

Reactions: irvin.boston

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
5,037 Posts
It's not just Harley dealers that have bad salesman. Ive been insulted a few times from the local Victory/multi brand dealership before.
Victory had just introduced the Cross Country models at the Lone Star rally in Galveston Texas. When I got back to Kansas City I visited my local Victory dealership to see if they had one in stock yet. The salesman asked what I was currently riding and I told him Street Glide which he said I'm sorry. He then proceeded to tell me how you couldn't ride one of those on long trips not knowing I just rode back the day before from a 2000 mile round trip! So there's bad salesman with any brand.

·
Registered
'19 SF - Metallic Jade & Thunder Black
1,259 Posts
The "are you ready to upgrade? / why would you ride that? / It's time to get you off that beginner bike, etc" type insulting comments baffle me. I mean, they don't really. They're a mark of an amateur and insecure salesperson. I think we've all heard them in various forms at different types of products, not just motorcycles -ever buy Matco, Snap-On, or Mac tools from someone trying to establish their territory?

The salespeople who try to put you down for riding whatever you're riding that isn't their brand are the same types of guys that yell, "Name three songs!" at people that wear band t-shirts just because they like the design or logo.

Shorts Shoe Smile Sky Muscle

·
Registered
982 Posts
As one who, over the years, has been in "sales" of various things, I can appreciate a good sales pitch. And I start off with respect for a salesperson who I know is trying to make some money and earn a living. So I will chat with them. I will likely ask them some questions about their product(s) and, in turn, I may answer some of their questions to me like am I shopping for something in particular but I won't give out too much info. And if they are knowledgeable about their product, polite and easy going we will get along fine and, who knows, I might seriously consider buying from that person either now or at some time in the future. But...., don't tell me any lies, about ANYTHING. Don't insult me about what I may ride now. Don't get overly pushy trying to close a sale today when I may not be through shopping at your place and also maybe other places. And if I ask for a price, give it to me and don't leave something out that you know you will be adding in before we are through.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't want to deal with the H-D dealerships near my current home, but Friendship Motorsports a.k.a. Stateline Indian Motorcycles in Bristol, VA is a fine operation run by good people. I recommend them to anyone.
Thanks you! Thats us. By the way, we have the demo truck here next weekend. Anyone close by come on by and check us out! Be sure to ask for Shane!

·
Silver member
3,964 Posts
Thanks you! Thats us. By the way, we have the demo truck here next weekend. Anyone close by come on by and check us out! Be sure to ask for Shane!
Another like for Bristol Indian. I traded for a Challenger there and had a good experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went the HD in Dothan, AL. Looked at a bike. Even got down to signing the paperwork, but couldn't sign with high interest HD wanted. Went to my bank with all the info USAA, great bank. My bank said they are asking more than what it's worth like 1100. The dealership said we will finance it all what we quoted. I said no thank you, lower the price the 1100 and I will buy. They said we can't do that, so I left and 7 days later I bought a used Indian Roadmaster off a guy in Panama city, fl. Love my bike!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts