Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
5,082 Posts
I had just bought my 1st Indian - a vintage. The wife had never been on a bike before so we needed to get some gear. She couldn’t find a pair of boots that fit her, so we stopped at the local HD shop to look at boots. While she’s waiting for one of the employees to stop joking around with another one to help I walked over to the accessories. Some recent high school graduate came up and asks if he could help me - no just looking. Do you ride? Yeah. What do you ride? An Indian. Why would anyone ride one of those? So I’m waiting for the laugh or other giveaway that he was kidding - nothing. Meanwhile I’m thinking $7k less than the Road King I looked at here, bigger engine, more hp, came with things already chromed that I would have to have replaced on the hd - saving even more money etc. But deciding to give him a chance to recover I respond with well, it’s not what you ride it’s that you got there on 2 wheels. He replied I don’t know that I believe that. Alrighty then!
That jackass!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
5,082 Posts
My local Indian dealership is about as chill as you could ask for. A sales rep will usually give you a shout and ask if you need any help, but if you tell them you're 'just looking' they'll usually respond with, "Well, it's not a museum, so feel free to toss a leg over any that interest you," and let you get back to tire kicking. When my adult daughter and I stopped by the local H-D shop so I could look at the new Sportster S in the flesh, the young salesman there latched on to us like a lamprey and just would not leave us be.

Perhaps he'd watched 'Glengarry Glen Ross' one time too many, but one sensed that he REALLY wanted to win that steak knife set.
That Bastard !

·
5,082 Posts
It's not just Harley dealers that have bad salesman. Ive been insulted a few times from the local Victory/multi brand dealership before.
Victory had just introduced the Cross Country models at the Lone Star rally in Galveston Texas. When I got back to Kansas City I visited my local Victory dealership to see if they had one in stock yet. The salesman asked what I was currently riding and I told him Street Glide which he said I'm sorry. He then proceeded to tell me how you couldn't ride one of those on long trips not knowing I just rode back the day before from a 2000 mile round trip! So there's bad salesman with any brand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts