Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it’s been a while since I went to my purchase dealer but I had the recall to get done and I needed an oil change. My lift is out of service for a bit so I thought I would let them take care of it

They charged me 100 bucks for the labor as I had my own amsoil and a reusable stainless filter and They reset my pin doing the recall. Didn’t tell me they reset it and when questioned they said they didn’t know what my pin was.. ever heard of a phone?

they are the dealer 1/2 mile from the mothership in Spirit Lake and have a revolving door for techs and other employees.

so much for trying to throw them a little business during the slowdown

Mark

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
A lot of dealers are only in it for the bottom line, and don't realize that, when you are in a niche market like motorcycling, paying more attention to customer service on the back end will help the bottom line in the long run. They also have to be willing to pay for quality employees and treat them well. For example, if you have a motorcycle tech with 20 years of general experience, certifications, and has been to the Indian course, he or she is probably not going to work for minimum wage. Also, I have seen dealerships where the manager tries to micromanage every little thing, and that often backfires.

Reactions: aussiekeeper

·
Registered
460 Posts
Because many of them only want your money from a bike sale, thereafter they are not interested. It amazes me that most do not get get the concept that good customer service means repeat business and therefore more profit. I order spares and accessories from a dealer 600 miles away as the local dealer being the only one in the country wants to ask more than the rest. In this day and age of the internet it's easy to go elsewhere for bikes and accessories and the local dealer misses out on business, they will not even price match what the other dealers will do. I have even bought stuff from the US and with postage and taxes it's still cheaper than the dealers.

I too had the PIN experience following a dealer service before a european tour, first issue was warning lights, turned out they were almost a litre short of oil in it, then I got stranded in Germany as my PIN did not work, they had not reset it following the ECU update. When i rang them they said just pop in when your passing, i'm 2000 miles away in another country!!

I am still waiting 4 years now for a warranty claim they said they would sort out, it will never happen and approaching a year now for a spare key they promised me that was missing when I brought a bike of them.

I will no longer use them for servicing or spares and would certainly not buy another bike from them, great guys when your buying a bike, but thereafter they are not really interested.

Makes no sense to me, look after your customers and they will support and look after you, it's not rocket science but a lot of dealers just don't seem to be able to grasp that.

Find a good one and stick with them(y)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What amazes me is that these guys should be a prime dealer for Indian as you are only less than a mile from the factory. With all of the riders that come through here to tour the plant every year, they get a ton of “let’s just stop in and see what they have business “ and are in a perfect spot for repairs and regular maintenance for these travelers. I have bought 2 bikes from them In 4 years and they could care less. The main reason is no one there remembers that I did because they have a revolving door for their employee.

I won’t go in there again!.. I traveled a hundred miles or so to Bison Indian for my 116 kit install, they are great and their techs know what they are doing.. looks like they will get all my business now!

mark

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Because many of them only want your money from a bike sale, thereafter they are not interested. It amazes me that most do not get get the concept that good customer service means repeat business and therefore more profit. I order spares and accessories from a dealer 600 miles away as the local dealer being the only one in the country wants to ask more than the rest. In this day and age of the internet it's easy to go elsewhere for bikes and accessories and the local dealer misses out on business, they will not even price match what the other dealers will do. I have even bought stuff from the US and with postage and taxes it's still cheaper than the dealers.

I too had the PIN experience following a dealer service before a european tour, first issue was warning lights, turned out they were almost a litre short of oil in it, then I got stranded in Germany as my PIN did not work, they had not reset it following the ECU update. When i rang them they said just pop in when your passing, i'm 2000 miles away in another country!!

I am still waiting 4 years now for a warranty claim they said they would sort out, it will never happen and approaching a year now for a spare key they promised me that was missing when I brought a bike of them.

I will no longer use them for servicing or spares and would certainly not buy another bike from them, great guys when your buying a bike, but thereafter they are not really interested.

Makes no sense to me, look after your customers and they will support and look after you, it's not rocket science but a lot of dealers just don't seem to be able to grasp that.

Find a good one and stick with them(y)
Is there a difference between how Indian warranty claims work in Scotland versus Germany (or the rest of the EU) and the US? I had separate warranty claims put in by my dealer in the US for the VCU, the head unit, the starter, and the fender chrome. In every case the longest wait was for parts, and all the clamis were settled in less than two months for the longest, and about a week for the shortest. After I got stationed in Germany, I submitted a warranty claim for my front fender rusting. It took about a month or so to get the new fender in, and this is on a 2017 Roadmaster that is US spec, and the claim was submitted through the closest local Indian dealer. 4 years seems a bit excessive for a warranty claim.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Is there a difference between how Indian warranty claims work in Scotland versus Germany (or the rest of the EU) and the US? I had separate warranty claims put in by my dealer in the US for the VCU, the head unit, the starter, and the fender chrome. In every case the longest wait was for parts, and all the clamis were settled in less than two months for the longest, and about a week for the shortest. After I got stationed in Germany, I submitted a warranty claim for my front fender rusting. It took about a month or so to get the new fender in, and this is on a 2017 Roadmaster that is US spec, and the claim was submitted through the closest local Indian dealer. 4 years seems a bit excessive for a warranty claim.
I doubt it, it's just laziness on behalf of the dealer and also the frequent changing of staff. My warranty issue will not be settled because the dealer will not pursue it, I remind them every time I go and they just pull it up on the system and tell me it's ongoing and they are working on it, they have numerous photos they took and copies of purchase details, but it's been 4 years now and the bike is out of warranty so it will never be done. It was the Indian Stage 1 black exhausts, the paint has simply flaked off in the area of the cat not long after I got the bike, been waiting on a new one under warranty as promised by the dealer but it will never happen. I'm not overly fussed as its a matt black bike so does not take too much away from the appearance, but it's the principle of it and the poor follow up from the dealer that annoys me more than anything, so I simply do not not use them if I can avoid it.

Likewise I brought a Roadmaster of them last June, it was missing a key, I was promised they would get a new one ordered, I give up reminding them and got one myself, it's almost a year now and i'm still waiting on it from them. I will not be buying my next bike from them, I'll head into England to a more reputable dealer.

I have had my bike serviced by them twice and had issues both times, not worth following up as they are not interested, I do all the work myself now and only go near a dealer if it needs digital wrench for some reason.

·
German Rider
1,735 Posts
It doesnt matter if it ismotorcycle, Car, Truck, RV, Boat or anything else. In 90% , the reason for denied or never ending cases, a lazy, unmotivated Dealer is the source. In a few Others, mostly the more expensive ones, it is the manufacturer the reason.

Cu,
Sven

·
Bronze member
3,440 Posts
What amazes me is that these guys should be a prime dealer for Indian as you are only less than a mile from the factory. With all of the riders that come through here to tour the plant every year, they get a ton of “let’s just stop in and see what they have business “ and are in a perfect spot for repairs and regular maintenance for these travelers. I have bought 2 bikes from them In 4 years and they could care less. The main reason is no one there remembers that I did because they have a revolving door for their employee.

I won’t go in there again!.. I traveled a hundred miles or so to Bison Indian for my 116 kit install, they are great and their techs know what they are doing.. looks like they will get all my business now!

mark
good to know... I've heard nothing but good about Okoboji Indian...

·
Rider
442 Posts
I am happy to report having had a very positive overall experience with my local dealer, Indian of Tucson. The staff is consistently pleasant and professional. I bought my 2017 Springfield at a dealer 100 miles away in Chandler only because they had the last 17 Springfield in the state, the local dealer had not had one in 6 months. Over the last 2 years I have had 100% of my service needs handled at the Tucson shop and this my brothers is where a well run Indian dealer makes their money. Scheduled maintenance typically runs $300 to $500+ {times 5} and for 2 years and 22,000 miles I have stayed the course including a new battery and a set of tires at 17,500 . Last week I went in and extended the Indian warranty for another 3 years at $1,200 so as you can see it is clearly in their best interests to continue to treat me well.

My only complaint is that they have yet to get the psi right, even when I specifically ask for the proper psi at regularly scheduled services they still screw the pooch. Seems like no one there realizes that Springfields get 46 in the front and 41 one the rear {cold}. Brought the bike in for a small warranty repair a couple of weeks ago, the right saddlebag lid locking mechanism had failed and for reasons known only to Chief War Bonnet they bled off 8# from my front and bumped up the rear leaving me with cold psi's of 38/45. What in the hell were they doing messing with my tires {that were properly inflated when I rolled in} when the repair was to the lid lock? Other than that {Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?} the repair was quickly well done and at no charge.

At 68 the Springfield is likely my last bike and I now have another 3 years of warranty coverage so fully expect to continue to use Indian of Tucson for all of my parts and service needs and given some of the comments above that is probably a good thing.

(y)

·
Registered
460 Posts
There has been a lot of talk ref the Springfield tyre pressure, I think the consensus is it's a misprint in the handbook, I see no reason for it to be so much higher than a Chief or even a Roadmaster that is a much heavier bike. It maybe they are putting right and the book is wrong?? I may of course be wrong.

·
Rider
472 Posts
I as well use Indian of Tucson, they always know me by name. However I only go in a few times a year and the last time I took the bike in for service I said sorry it is really dirty as I was out yesterday. Well picked it up in the afternoon and they did a great job on the service and clean the bike as well, good job guys!

·
Rider
442 Posts
There has been a lot of talk ref the Springfield tyre pressure, I think the consensus is it's a misprint in the handbook, I see no reason for it to be so much higher than a Chief or even a Roadmaster that is a much heavier bike. It maybe they are putting right and the book is wrong?? I may of course be wrong.

Hate to be the one to break it to you but... yes you are wrong. The Springfield has different rake/trail than any other Indian and both Dunlop and Indian agree on 46/41. It is not a misprint in the book and can also be found on the chassis neck.

:cool:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have a friend who's been an auto tech for a Chevrolet dealer for 25 years, he was currently the service manager. Always wanted to be a motorcycle tech, his real passion. Finally got his opportunity at a MC dealer near his home and with reservations left Chevy for the promised land. .
Told me it was terrible, loved the job but the MC dealers starve the techs to death. Crawled back to his old Chevy dealer, they hired him back, as a tech. Damn.

·
Registered
2019 Roadmaster
43 Posts

mark
I can echo what you say about Bison Indian. Every time I walk in there, they recognize me and ask how are things going. Their techs know their stuff and are always helpful whenever I have a question.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hate to be the one to break it to you but... yes you are wrong. The Springfield has different rake/trail than any other Indian and both Dunlop and Indian agree on 46/41. It is not a misprint in the book and can also be found on the chassis neck.
I stand corrected, thanks for the clarity.

·
Rider
1,347 Posts
My dealer whom I shall name Moore Speed Racing in the UK is fantastic. Whilst waiting for my bike there was an unexpected delay Colin Moore even offered me the use of his own personal bike for a planned trip I had organised. Always comes out of his office to say hello and offers ready advice when approached. When my bike did finally arrive shortly before my trip he stayed behind after hours burning the midnight oil to ensure it was ready.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My dealer whom I shall name Moore Speed Racing in the UK is fantastic. Whilst waiting for my bike there was an unexpected delay Colin Moore even offered me the use of his own personal bike for a planned trip I had organised. Always comes out of his office to say hello and offers ready advice when approached. When my bike did finally arrive shortly before my trip he stayed behind after hours burning the midnight oil to ensure it was ready.
Agreed; they are 631 miles from me and I use them for spares and accessories rather than my local dealer who is 170 miles away. Last time I was touring down south I dropped in, they made me and my mates a coffee, give the bike a once over and topped up the oil all for free, then took us on a tour of the workshops and facilities. Customer service at it's best.

·
Rider
1,185 Posts
I will also name my Dealer (Again)

Hernley's in Elizabethtown PA.

They seem to be the best Dealer I have ever encountered and I have had many Vehicles in my lifetime.
You walk in there you can feel it.
Then you talk to them and see they are comfortable in their own skin because they are the real deal and dont need to hide.
They do exactly what they say they will do with no BS excuses.
Very well run business and are there for the customer.
I personally drive the 100 plus miles one way to go to them. I am so comfortable in there with them that I could sit in they're showroom feeling good all afternoon sipping coffee watching the Customers come and go.
There is a dealer way closer to me with nice new big building, new equipment but the attitudes that fly there. The atmosphere in there is so thick you could cut it with a knife.
So here it is in the nutshell........
Indian does not have a strong network of dealers and then you factor in all those dealers that act like they dont want to be there or the way they conduct their business practices and they shouldnt be in business at all.
How many really decent Indian dealers do we really have and could count on?
That number seems very small indeed.

·
Rider
1,347 Posts
Agreed; they are 631 miles from me and I use them for spares and accessories rather than my local dealer who is 170 miles away. Last time I was touring down south I dropped in, they made me and my mates a coffee, give the bike a once over and topped up the oil all for free, then took us on a tour of the workshops and facilities. Customer service at it's best.
I am fortunate indeed they are a mere 2 miles from my house. Due to the standard of work they have also picked up the servicing requirements of my H-D.

·
Bronze member
1,591 Posts
Well it’s been a while since I went to my purchase dealer but I had the recall to get done and I needed an oil change. My lift is out of service for a bit so I thought I would let them take care of it

They charged me 100 bucks for the labor as I had my own amsoil and a reusable stainless filter and They reset my pin doing the recall. Didn’t tell me they reset it and when questioned they said they didn’t know what my pin was.. ever heard of a phone?

they are the dealer 1/2 mile from the mothership in Spirit Lake and have a revolving door for techs and other employees.

so much for trying to throw them a little business during the slowdown

Mark
While I get the pin reset is a PITA, I'm not sure what your other beef is. An oil change does take an hour and those reusable filters don't clean themselves. You can argue that the $100/hr. labor rate is high for the area, but it doesn't sound like they screwed you on the amount of work they did. On top of that, I am actually a little surprised they did the change with your oil. That's pretty unusual. If they sold you the Amsoil, no big deal, but many dealerships woudn't touch the work if someone brought in their own supplies.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts