Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did guy buy the Chieftain instead of the Streetglide?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rider
875 Posts
I bought my chieftain classic in 2018 so not sure if you're looking for my opinion. That said I test road both. Actually road the street glide fist. Chieftain handled and fit me much better. Also was a much smoother ride suspension wise. Both are really nice bikes. Indian just had the edge IMHO. So that's my two cents.

·
Bronze member
3,045 Posts
I'm assuming you're meaning the 19.. I bought a 18 Limited (left-over) almost went with a 19...me and Hardly don't get along... long story... so I would have bought anything other than a Hardly... but if you want me to tell you the truth.... if Victory was still in operation I would have bought a Magnum over my Limited... having said that this Chieftain is the best motorcycle I've owned... so no regrets

·
Registered
82 Posts
I took the 2019 streetglide special for a test ride. Then I bought the 2019 chieftain DH. I felt the handling was similar but indian was smoother. I was turned off by the harleys bags. They felt more plasticky and wobbled a lot when I opened them up. I know that may seem weird but it felt like a cheaper product. I also wanted to be different than the pack. I couldn't be happier. I know for me I made the right decision.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
646 Posts
I was asked a while back if the 2019 design influenced my decision to buy the Indian over the Harley. Below is my response that I copied from that thread.

Yes actually it did, somewhat. However, I also like the the classic looking bikes. I just like the new design a little better. My 2013 CVO Road King has a little over 60,000 miles on it and I will be retiring in a couple of years so it was just kind of time for a new bike. At first I was looking at another CVO Harley but I was concerned with the Sumping issues they are having and the fluid migration concerns and such. Also, every single Harley Dealer I visited they looked at me like I had 3 heads and claimed they had never heard of these issues when I would ask about them. Then Ivisited Indian of New Orleans while there onbusiness and when I quizzed the sales Manager about the 116 issues Indian was having at thetime he was upfront and honest and what he told me was going on turned out to be exactly what Indian corrected. I also liked how Indian enlisted Carrilo's help with re-designing the connecting rods and such. Then I heard that Indian corrected the bikes that had been modified but had not had issues yet, more or less like a safety recall. It is obvious to me that Indian right now is treating their customers way better than Harley. Harleywould have NEVER done that recall. Heck on my CVO Road King I had put aftermarket lifters and a compensaver on it to correct design flaws on my own dime. To top it all off MSRP on a CVO Harley is North of 40,000 and the exhaust that is on it sucks. Plus the dealers will not deal at all on aCVO. I paid right at MSRP for the one I have and some dealers are getting more than MSRP.

So with all of that said when they came out with the new body style it was just icing on the cakefor me because all of these other reasons would have driven me to Indian anyway. I would havehad to have an open fender though. LOL

Reactions: irvin.boston

·
Rider
606 Posts
IMG_20190621_210612.jpg
I purchased my 17 Limited and traded my 17 Roadglide after 62 days of ownership...did not like the ride quality! 2 & 1/2 inches of rear shock travel! Also I wanted something different H/D's everywhere!
I've been reading comments about the 19 Chieftains since the spy photos were leaked and I stopped at Bairs
Indian last Saturday and took about an hour examining the 19s and all the negative comments I think are way out of line! The 19 Chieftains are very nice!! Pricey yes, but very nice!

·
Rider
875 Posts
I agree that the 19's are nice bike's. I just wish Indian would try to innovate more. The new design just looks way too much like a Harley. I wish they would push the design limits and come out with something different from the chieftain classic look but not too Harley like. I personally like the styling of my chieftain classic and hope they never do away with that design. But I also want them to have alternative designs to attract people who prefer a different look. The way I see it the more riders they can attract the better for the longevity of the brand. Just don't copy anyone else.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I agree that the 19's are nice bike's. I just wish Indian would try to innovate more. The new design just looks way too much like a Harley. I wish they would push the design limits and come out with something different from the chieftain classic look but not too Harley like. I personally like the styling of my chieftain classic and hope they never do away with that design. But I also want them to have alternative designs to attract people who prefer a different look. The way I see it the more riders they can attract the better for the longevity of the brand. Just don't copy anyone else.
I so agree. After seeing the 19 Chieftain Limited I was so happy that I bought an 18. They could have easily redesigned the fairing while retaining the integrated running lights/turn signals.

Also Harley added the vent in the fairing to address wind buffeting but many have said the buffeting is the same or maybe a little worse on the 2019 which tells me they put it in just to copy Harley’s looks.

But it seems whenever Indian does a redesigned they also include some type of cost cutting. Like when they did a nice redesign of the switch housings but then decided to make them of plastic with cheaper feeling switches.

OK, I’m done.....I still love my 2018 Chieftain Limited

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I purchased mine toward the end of the season last year. Except I bought an 18 because I have a Harley in the garage that looks quite a bit like the 19 limited.After 45 yrs on Harleys I needed change something that Stands out on its own. And the ride and handling were incomparable

·
Registered
251 Posts
I purchased mine toward the end of the season last year. Except I bought an 18 because I have a Harley in the garage that looks quite a bit like the 19 limited.After 45 yrs on Harleys I needed change something that Stands out on its own. And the ride and handling were incomparable
I just got my 19 which is beautiful, but I still find the 18 to be more distinctive. I would have preferred they stuck with the 18 type styling but the dealer says the new ones are selling better. Both beautiful bikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was looking at the 2019 Chieftain Limited or Street Glide Special. Handling and suspension were the major reasons for choosing the Chieftain. Proved to be a good choice on recent 4000 mile trip. You can call suspension any special name you want, but 2" will not match 4" no matter what you call it. Secondary reason is just personal. I like the chrome. I know the blacked out look is very popular, but I guess I am a shiny kind of guy. :):)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I still own two Harley’s and thought when I bought a bagger it would be a Street Glide. I borrowed one for a weekend and thought it was a pretty good bike. The suspension wasn’t the best so that would be a future cost. I didn’t like the handlebars either and the M8 doesn’t inspire confidence so I thought I’d take an Indian for a ride. I really like the new style Chieftain so it was a big draw card for me. After I rode one it was a no brainer. The suspension is the best I’ve ridden on a stock bike and I like the riding position. I’ve spent thousands trying to get Harley’s to handle like this bike. It’s a winner.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was looking at the 2019 Chieftain Limited or Street Glide Special. Handling and suspension were the major reasons for choosing the Chieftain. Proved to be a good choice on recent 4000 mile trip. You can call suspension any special name you want, but 2" will not match 4" no matter what you call it. Secondary reason is just personal. I like the chrome. I know the blacked out look is very popular, but I guess I am a shiny kind of guy. :):)
Yeah the handling and suspension travel of the Chieftain were the main factors. And the price after haggling, plus the fact that when I park the Chieftain amongst a sea of Street Glides it sticks out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts