Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, my fellow forum members. Why did you buy your Indian? Was it the name? The heritage? The classic looks or sound? Is it so you can piss-off HD? Was it the fringe, the war bonnet on the front fender? Did you want your bike to have that "conversation factor"? "Hey, you have an Indian, what's it like?" Do you like the "bling, bling" or "stand out" factor?

thanks for all your feed back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I loved the custom look it provided. But the things I like about the bike is it is made in America first. War Bonnet is awesome and when I sat on it, it felt fantastic right from the start. The shape of the traditional Indian fenders made this bike once again timeless.

·
Rider
1,101 Posts
Just curious, my fellow forum members. Why did you buy your Indian? Was it the name? The heritage? The classic looks or sound? Is it so you can piss-off HD? Was it the fringe, the war bonnet on the front fender? Did you want your bike to have that "conversation factor"? "Hey, you have an Indian, what's it like?" Do you like the "bling, bling" or "stand out" factor?

thanks for all your feed back.
I think for me it's pretty much all of the above reasons and I've never owned a v-twin before.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,763 Posts
I've always loved the style. When they came out again, especially with Polaris running the show, I did my research and determined that it was a good bike and likely to stay around for a while. When I rode one, I was hooked.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Purchased my Indian Chieftain mainly because everywhere I looked it was another Harley. Nothing against Harleys, but I wanted an American bike but different than most others. The moment I seen the Chieftain I knew that I had to have it. The retro style along w/ modern tech. A winner combination!

·
Registered
99 Posts
When Indian was introduced I was blown away. I was looking for another bike and had 3 gimmis's
1) fairing
2) electronic cruise
3) Radio in the fairing
It then had so many more things standard. I liked the style and the fringe. Ordered the bike and went on a demo 2 months later and all I could think about was the TS111. I tried the horn and couldn't stop smiling about all the things Polaris did right.
It is an awesome bike. I have 10,000 kms now and have really learned to like everything about it.

Looking forward to more accessories in 2015 by Indian and others.

·
Registered
130 Posts
LOOKS

I fell in love with how the bike looked the first time I saw a photo of it.
I love it when a manufacture can create an old classic look with all of todays modern technology.
Of coarse I also read all of the previews that gave the new Indian positive remarks.
So I took a chance of putting down money on a bike the dealer didnt even have one of to look at.
Glad I did :cool:

·
Registered
303 Posts
All of the above are true for me as well but the biggest reason I chose the Chieftain over an HD Street Glide is that Polaris seems interested in maintaining the iconic Indian image and still building ultra modern, very reliable motorcycles. The Thunderstroke 111 is what tipped the scale and won me over. I have done extensive research comparing the Thunderstroke to HD's Twin Cam. There is absolutely NO comparison. It is like comparing apples to peanuts! (to say oranges is not strong enough.)

I know many twin cam owners and have heard many stories both good and bad.
The good: Normally consisted of things like, "I haven't had any problems but I only ride occasionally and don't put many miles on my bike."

The bad: My own brother, a huge HD lover says, "I ride my motorcycle more than I drive my car. I have over 100K miles but have blown 2 engines! For $20,000 plus I should get more than 100K miles on ONE engine. My next bike will be the new Indian."

In addition to the engine differences, Indian offers literally thousands of dollars in "extras" in their stock motorcycles for which Harley gladly charges their owners. When comparing the Chieftain to a similarly equipped Street Glide, the Indian came in at $5K less! $5,000 less for a better quality motorcycle? No brainer. :)

I love HD's too, I owned a VRod (Street Rod) and loved it. But that engine is amazing and does not have the well known problems that the Twin Cam has. In a way, I am glad HD refuses to develop a more reliable engine for their big twins. It pushed me toward the Indian and I absolutely love it! Best riding motorcycle I have ever had the privilege of throwing a leg over.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
Growing up in the 50's and 60's there were a couple Indian motorcycles in my hometown that I admired and desired. Now these new bikes bring me back to those days. It is great to be able own an American icon. I love my Chieftain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
everyone in my community had a Harley! they all looked alike and talked about the same thing. owned 6 Harleys over the last 12 years, got tired of spending another 6 to 7 grand to get the same HP and torque the indian came out with stock. like the 49 styling with the heads and exhaust correctly done. like every thing about my vintage #250.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Living close to Daytona and attending bike week on a regular basis I just got sick of the HD people along with their superior attitudes. You park in a parking lot with 1000 bikes and 800 would be Harley's all the same except for a different piece of chrome. I thought how horrible it must be to have to find your bike by looking for a VIN #. same cookie cutter fenders same cookie cutter squared saddlebags same loud ass pipes little to nothing that was different but each owner seemed to think they had something special. I like everything about the Indian it's from the past but yet it now resides in the present. I saw 2 at bike week besides the demos at the displays. My grandfather owned a 1948 and I've always wanted Indian to make a comeback. Knowing the reliability of Polaris and the fact the Indians are not on every corner you turn and there's not 800 of them in the same parking lot made me have to have one. It's the best bike I've ever owned. I wanted an American made bike but was never interested in an overpriced HD. I always thought years back that paying a deposit and then waiting on a bike then paying 5k over MSRP was for crazy people. Just never drank the kool-aide. Rode Jap bikes til last yr bought a Victory XCT but never really liked it and when the Indian came out I took a demo ride on one and knew I had to have one. Haven't regretted it for a moment. Love my Indian and when I ride it to bike week in Oct. there won't be 3,000 of them riding around Ormond and Daytona.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have not purchased yet. Rode Chief Vintage last week in Sturgis .
I like built in America! I love the Indian history, Have always liked the look, The handling, power, balance & showing Harley what I think of their R & D & the way they build bikes by taking my money elsewhere is one of my main reasons I'll be on a Indian soon!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I came from 13 years of riding BMW's They have problems, there not made like they use to be. I had a 2009 R1200RT 21k on it, The last couple of years I thought about buying a Victory, Just before Bike week here in Myrtle Beach, I stopped the Victory dealer, 5.8 miles from my house. I saw that they were carrying the Indian, Loved the Look of the Vintage, Thunder Black, tan bags! I said man thats an awesome looking ride, never had a cruiser, I said to myself the last time I looked at an Indian I said, 35K for a cruiser? But the sales guy told me I would be very surprised, when he said 20K, I said What!! Can I ride a demo? HE said next week the Indian demo truck was coming and I could ride every model! So I did, 40 years later, 9 different motorcycles, I'm just ecstatic over my Vintage! It is with out a doubt, The Best Motorcycle I have ever rode and owned!

Man it's freaking gorgeous! Love the comfort, pipes, motor, the open air feeling when I ride! Super Grand Slam Home Run Polaris! Now I'll probably spend 10K in accessories, LOL!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had a Heritage Softail, blown motor at 5700 miles with regular services...synthetic oil and all. Of course it was "out of the warranty period". To make a long story short....$5,000.00 later, rode it last year, sold it this spring and the search was on. After alot of research it was down to a Vintage or Chieftain. Rode both...Chieftain was the one I liked. I do like the looks of the Vintage.

·
Founding member
1,109 Posts
Last Harley Ultra I had was a POS! Dealer service was terrible. Got a factory rep involved. Bike was never reliable. 22,000$ MISTAKE.

Rode a Victory at Bike Week. OK,but didn't quite get it.

Wanted an American V twin.Looked at Indians for several years but didn't pull the trigger until Polaris got onboard.

I bought a 2014 Chieftain and love it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have always loved motorcycles and never appreciated an indian until I saw the few they have at the San Diego Auto Museum. There is something about the engineering and look of the bike that appeals to me. I love the history and am nostalgic for the days of old. The military Indians from WWII are amazing. The iconic fenders, and look of the engine are amazing. Went to a biker hangout off PCH called Neptune's Net yesterday. Some Harley guys gave me a hard time about my indian, they love the engine (why wouldn't they) and but said they weren't crazy about the look of the indian. I told them that's why I bought it. I don't have a beef with Harley's or Harley lovers, but I don't understand the brand loyalty they have. Then again I will NEVER understand ape hangers either.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts