Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Rider
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally love chrome and the shiny side of things.

Why was it that chrome started to fall out of favor with manufacturers, consumers and the public?

Was it cost of manufacturing? People being too lazy to polish chrome? (not that hard to me). EPA shutting down the process? All of the above?

What is your choice and why Chrome or not to Chrome? That is the question.

·
Bronze member
1,458 Posts
Well two things I definitely don't like are "blacked out" and "denim" colour.

But it is possible for there to be too much chrome, I've got to admit.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I love the chrome and the glossy paint. There are a few of the matte finish colors that look good....like the red and the blue....but I wouldn't want to own them. I absolutely hate the total black out look. Fortunately, there are a variety of styles still available to choose from so folks can scratch their particular itch. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Funny thing is I picked the dragon green and the chrome just to be different. At the Sturgis rally last year there was nothing but dark horses.. not bashing dark horses because they look awesome, hence the reason they are the most desirable at the moment..

Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
I didn’t realize people had such a disdain for bikes with no chrome. I prefer it. I always thought chrome was for old big rigs, show bikes and pimped out Cadillac’s. I like that lean business look. I can appreciate a chrome bike but prefer none on my vehicles. Can be any color with a little brushed aluminum ,another color or mono chromatic. I’ve been covering up or removing chrome since I started driving in the 80s. I come to know like minded people. Not a fad to us.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We of the soft glow of matte clear coats, the mono chromatic themes and shall I dare say the chromeless. Have been look down upon, hated and mean mugged for our freedom of choice for too long.
The days of interrupted group rides because TBone and Bobby need to touch up there bedazzled chrome laden steeds is over. Today is the day of all swag no drag. We shall get to our destinations in a timely manner and we shall never ever push our tour dates back because the UPS man hasn’t delivered your 40lb package of kuryakin plastic chrome. Never Shall We Ever! This is Sparta!!!! Sparta Georgia that is.
Chrome hasn’t fallen out of favor. We just have different choices and isn’t that a good thing.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
too much chrome can make a bike look like Liberace....gaudy and overdone

when faced with the age old question....Ginger or Maryanne....I say....why not a little sumptin sumptin from both?

View attachment 580332
I love my Alaska Leather sheepskin seat cover too! It's great for hot weather riding, because it allows the air to pass underneath the butt, and keeps the monkey butt from happening.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I love my Alaska Leather sheepskin seat cover too! It's great for hot weather riding, because it allows the air to pass underneath the butt, and keeps the monkey butt from happening.
i'm a big guy, my wife also enjoys the occasional second helping if you know what I mean

swamp ass on a leather seat is no fun, but worse when you are a big guy....I doubted this would work as well as it does

michigan summers in SE Michigan are hot and humid, with the emphasis on humid....i ride the hell out of this bike and spent entire days in 90+ heat with high humidity and this thing works....it totally wicks the moisture and heat away....as well, I ride through the winter and it keeps me hiney toasty and warm

one of the guys on the HD forums told me it looked like hammered shit on my bike. :( I have to be honest, it took some getting used to, but I can't imagine my bike without it now, it's unique-ish....and mine :)

·
Bronze member
2,012 Posts
I think each bike has it‘s own identity. Some look great with the matte finishes and black trim. Personally I like the chrome look on my Roadmaster and my wife’s new Chieftain Limited.

the best looking bikes using different finishes are the Harley Davidson CVO models. The mixture of the paint finishes, blacked out trim and black chrome looks spectacular IMHO.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Personally I think auto manufacturers are partly responsible for chrome falling out of favor. GAUDY interiors with platsi-chrome trim around every corner (cup holders, knobs, or just surrounding a radio console) look and feel cheap. Not like in the 60's when they were functional pieces and meant to hold stuff together. Today's chrome is purely style and nothing else. I think people gravitate to style derived from function rather than style for its own sake.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Black and chrome are complimentary colors, best combo in my book. My DH is the first matte finished bike I've owned; takes some getting used to, but I love it. And I'll add a touch of chrome now and then...

·
Banned
4,926 Posts
I think each bike has it‘s own identity. Some look great with the matte finishes and black trim. Personally I like the chrome look on my Roadmaster and my wife’s new Chieftain Limited.

the best looking bikes using different finishes are the Harley Davidson CVO models. The mixture of the paint finishes, blacked out trim and black chrome looks spectacular IMHO.
True on most any bike as far as I'm concerned.

I like chrome. People bidtch about having to clean or polish chrome, but it's a hard durable surface and it's easy to clean, and with minimum effort. And I like the black chrome too, especially on engine parts. It looks bad-azz. Shiny paint too. I'm not a fan of the look of matt finishes. Guess I just like shiny stuff :giggle:

1 - 20 of 141 Posts