Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Why 5.5 Quarts and not 4.5 for oil change?

912 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  TerryD
Ok, a little help please.
I am about to buy the oil change kit and do my service for the beast, it is a 2018 Chieftain Limited with the 116 Stage 3 upgrade done on it. Since I have bought it, my bike took the 4.5L oil change kit to do its oil. I call my local dealer and they tell me they don’t sell a 4.5L kit, just the 4 and 5.5.
So my question is, why did Indian go away from that 4.5L kit and if I buy the 5.5L, do I put it all in, or just the 4.5L that I need.
Can anyone assist me with this, I can’t seem to find anywhere if Indian had revised the oil capacity or not.
Thanks
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· German Rider
2,729 Posts
It has been 5.5 quarts till mid 2019, then changed to 6 quarts. Never been 4.5 quarts, so you are wrong..... 🤔 😁

· Registered
2019 Indian Chief Vintage Icon (Black/Yellow)
323 Posts
Ok, a little help please.
I am about to buy the oil change kit and do my service for the beast, it is a 2018 Chieftain Limited with the 116 Stage 3 upgrade done on it. Since I have bought it, my bike took the 4.5L oil change kit to do its oil. I call my local dealer and they tell me they don’t sell a 4.5L kit, just the 4 and 5.5.
So my question is, why did Indian go away from that 4.5L kit and if I buy the 5.5L, do I put it all in, or just the 4.5L that I need.
Can anyone assist me with this, I can’t seem to find anywhere if Indian had revised the oil capacity or not.
Thanks
RTB - :) - Read the Book. I have attached the printed 111/116 Engine Oil Change Instructions. There is also a YouTube video on the Indian Motorcycle website.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.