Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this another ploy by PI to get new owners to buy our oil from them at ridiculous mark-ups, as there are NOT many suppliers of 15W-60 oil on the market? Any practical reason why 60W oil? That stuff is going to be like honey in the early and late riding seasons up here in New England and I'm worried about delayed lubrication to the top of the head at start up in cold weather. I guess the 15W will assist and perhaps do the job, but why 60? Why couldn't they stick with the conventional 20W-50 oil for most motorcycle applications. I buy my oil by drum for all of my PI and HD bikes.....and it is much more efficient going with ONE grade and weight of oil. Interesting to hear some comments!!! Thnx

·
Silver member
5,463 Posts
It's a watercooled engine with a thermostat in the cooling circuit. Even while it's cold outside it should still reach a decent operating temperature. Same with the FTR.

And yes, I too have different grades of oil on the shelf....

·
Bronze member
2,198 Posts
I’ve been riding my bike in central pa all winter when it’s in the 30s with the Indian recommended oil.

I wouldn’t over think it. And it’s not much more expensive than any other brand of motorcycle oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
943 Posts
Roadmaster recommended oil is 20-40 I run 20-50 with the 116 assuming a bit more heat. Also in the summer, I have ridden in temps over 110.

·
Bronze member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any thoughts on using 10W-60 oil? What brand of NON Indian 15W-60 synthetic oil are local retailers selling? And while I have a few Chally owners attention, what are you guys paying for first/500-mile service? I tried to get my dealer to throw that in as part of the "deal" and he said he couldn't do it. Has to show that it was done and charged/paid for to maintain warranty protection. My dealer gave me a cost of $360.00 for oil/filer, adjust clutch and whatever else is on the dealers list of "checking the bike out". I thought that was a little steep......but heck spread out over the first 24 months of warranty coverage, I guess that's only $15/month.......as I'll be doing my own lube, oil, filter after the first service. Thanks for your input. Love this forum; a lot of guys with a clue!!

·
Rider
943 Posts
I call BS on the warranty excuse, the dealer I was at yesterday has 19's with the first 5 services included with the price. Also he is telling you that you have to bring your bike in for warranty service or it's void. Does that mean all of us that do our own work are screwed? I do not believe that to be true.

·
Bronze member
2,639 Posts
I'm sure IM engineers factored in various outside temps when they selected this viscosity. Like with most engines, you can run a different viscosity without any issues. 20w50 would work fine, I’m sure.

·
Rider
448 Posts
Any thoughts on using 10W-60 oil? What brand of NON Indian 15W-60 synthetic oil are local retailers selling? And while I have a few Chally owners attention, what are you guys paying for first/500-mile service? I tried to get my dealer to throw that in as part of the "deal" and he said he couldn't do it. Has to show that it was done and charged/paid for to maintain warranty protection. My dealer gave me a cost of $360.00 for oil/filer, adjust clutch and whatever else is on the dealers list of "checking the bike out". I thought that was a little steep......but heck spread out over the first 24 months of warranty coverage, I guess that's only $15/month.......as I'll be doing my own lube, oil, filter after the first service. Thanks for your input. Love this forum; a lot of guys with a clue!!
When I took my Challenger in for the 500 mile break-in service, they quoted me a price of $270 plus tax. When I got there, Indian had just released a special for $99 and the dealer honored it. Got the 500 mile service done for $99 plus tax. I was really pleased.

·
Bronze member
2,198 Posts
Your first service shouldn’t cost more than $200 anyway. Mine was $160. 1hr if labor plus the oil. Any more than an hour to look over a new bike and they are gouging you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
808 Posts
The only time I can recall paying the dealer for the 500 mile service was in 2011 on a Victory Vision. They were the most straight up honest people I’ve ever done business with. They weren’t pushy or threatening, voiding the warranty but assured me iit was necessary because I lived 200 miles away, did my own maintenance and wouldn’t be seeing much of me any time soon A 500 mile service is supposed to include, refer to the shop manual 34 items: including oil,filter change, naturally. Check belt adjustment, torque major fasteners, compression test, tire pressure, clutch adj., lube cable ends etc. etc......... The dealer often tells its customers the 500 mile service is mandatory to avoid warranty issues. Do they do all the required stuff? The Vic shop assured me they did and I could spend the whole time looking over the techs shoulder if I wanted to. Being new to Vuctory I had a lot of questions so spent 3.5 hours in the shop which included stage1 exhaust, ac and remap install. He even down loaded the shop manual on a disc for me. I left with about a $400 labor bill + parts. I’ve had a pretty good experience with the Indian dealer, but like most wont allow a customer in the shop. They too tried to insist on the 500 mile initial service, but knowing a round trip for me was 1000 miles they relented lol.

Reactions: Britroy

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't believe it has to be charged to the owner. My dealer threw in the 500 mile service on my new Challenger. Won't happen for a while (it's a little chilly in Minnesota right now), but when it does, it's free.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
It always amazes me how much is spent on these things, how much is spent to protect these bikes. how to wash them, how to keep this guarded that protected, how to store it, what expensive this to buy, what not to do Often to a trivial level...
but then we come to the life blood of oil being potentially a couple bucks more, that's where the line is drawn?!

I've said it before, the Indian oil kit when contents of it are considered, is not much more than the other options available to us.. so I don't see that being much of a factor..

When it comes to its engineering, the millions of miles put on these engines in many different conditions during RnD by the people that designed it, surely know better than those that only put on a few thousand miles on one engine, often with either old out moded knowledge, or old fashioned urban legend.

If we as community start seeing reasons to go against the engineering (which seldom but sometimes happens), than OK. But I would definitely would wait for a reason backed by consensus beyond the hardship of a couple bucks and just forgo the fringe, and 30 dollar polish Until then.
IMHO.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
For what it is worth. I gotta get my 5K service done at 4400 miles. The trans or clutch when cold will not shift without extreme pressure. Once you go through a couple of shift cycles it is normal shifting. That being said, the oil has 3530 hundred miles since the last change. Gonna make sure that PI knows of this.

Reactions: Hoseman

·
Bronze member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For what it is worth. I gotta get my 5K service done at 4400 miles. The trans or clutch when cold will not shift without extreme pressure. Once you go through a couple of shift cycles it is normal shifting. That being said, the oil has 3530 hundred miles since the last change. Gonna make sure that PI knows of this.
Arapaho, let us know what you/the dealer find out here. On some good news, as I know you bought one of these and sent back for refund, but my Eagle GEN III light the factory sent up yesterday with a NEW wiring harness did the job. Headlight is like looking at a welding torch with the sun behind you. I think the issue was in the wiring harness/adapter plug, but because they sent me a NEW light fixture as well, I replaced them BOTH and sent the old stuff back, postage paid by the vendor. So these guys delivered...for now. For all of you Chally owners who purchased an earlier version of the Eagle GEN III fixture, they figured it out. It's NOW safe to ride hard into a corner....at night!!!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Arapaho, let us know what you/the dealer find out here. On some good news, as I know you bought one of these and sent back for refund, but my Eagle GEN III light the factory sent up yesterday with a NEW wiring harness did the job. Headlight is like looking at a welding torch with the sun behind you. I think the issue was in the wiring harness/adapter plug, but because they sent me a NEW light fixture as well, I replaced them BOTH and sent the old stuff back, postage paid by the vendor. So these guys delivered...for now. For all of you Chally owners who purchased an earlier version of the Eagle GEN III fixture, they figured it out. It's NOW safe to ride hard into a corner....at night!!!
Does the light project down the far enough, or does it cut off like the stock light?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does the light project down the far enough, or does it cut off like the stock light?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I didn't take it out on the road....as it's still winter up here in MA...but I can tell you that it is "night and day" better than the stock lens. No pun intended. Very good wide angle coverage as well. I think for a couple hundred feathers, it is a decent safety investment. I think you will be impressed.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I didn't take it out on the road....as it's still winter up here in MA...but I can tell you that it is "night and day" better than the stock lens. No pun intended. Very good wide angle coverage as well. I think for a couple hundred feathers, it is a decent safety investment. I think you will be impressed.
I will wait till I see how far it puts out. Do you have a pic of the Halo?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts