Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

421 - 440 of 475 Posts

·
Rider
837 Posts
Next scavenge: Your bike next to a sign with an identifier of the state you live in ??

·
Bronze member
1,376 Posts
State Highway sign.

I missed a much better opportunity yesterday when I went past the Alabama welcome center/rest stop on I-65 just south of Tennessee. Wasn’t thinking of this scavenger hunt.
I considered riding 80 miles to Fort Payne today so I could get a picture of the music band Alabama statues there.
Sweet home Alabama!
For me the weather was too marginal, so I wimped out. Could have been so much better than these other two places!

Now what to look for next?
Clock. Time. Anything functional (as in not a billboard sign or picture), wrong or not.
To pass the time.

Oh... no time display on bike itself, please. Thank you!
IMG_2002.jpg

·
Registered
844 Posts
I totally misread the clue for signs. Mistakenly thought it was a “welcome to...” sign. D’uh. Now it’s time to try the next one.

·
Bronze member
1,376 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
The main point of the game is to have a few laughs and a courage riding. I think naming new items helps with that. At some point I’d say our imaginations will be strained to come up with something new. Are we at that point already? I guess only the time namer can say for sure
I do repost the completed list every so often as a reference.
here it is again.

Just FYI and updating, here are all of the items already collected.

Indians with:

Train

Horse

Police car

Animal statue

Water fountain

Windmill

Military machinery

Waterfall

Peterbilt truck

Shipping container

DOT equipment

Large flag of your country

Swimming pool

Straddling a state line

Aircraft

Capitol building

Pre 1970 classic car

Indian street sign

Harley Davidson dealership

Roadkill

Live non domestic animal

Saguaro Cactus

Storm

Zoo Animal

Statue of military personnel

Railroad caboose

Covered Bridge

Historical monument

Brewery

High school mascot

Gas Station

county/state line sign in the middle of a bridge

Radio / TV mast

Someone admiring your bike

Military memorial

Flag from a different continent

Hot tub

Camp site (with RV or tent)

VW Bus

Police motorcycle

Light house

Ferris wheel

Fire boat

Fire truck

Ski lift

Farm equipment

McDonalds Golden Arches

1970-1985 Chevy Pick Up

Beauty salon

Log cabin

Tipi

Pro Sports stadium

Auto museum

Unusual architecture**

Grain elevator

A carousel with horses

A crop duster.**

A hot air balloon.**

An old town theatre

A dinosaur

A red corvette

A nurse in scrubs

Twins

Snow

Lit Christmas Tree

Cigar Shop

tattoo parlor

Santa Claus

Cigar shop

Tattoo parlor

Santa Claus

Snowman

Sandy scene

5+ story building

Wall mural

Red barn

Water tower

Old Bank

entrance to a state/national park

Family portrait

Chinese restaurant

Sign for state you live in

Clock

**Not Collected

·
Bronze member
1,376 Posts
I’m all for duplicates since they’re bound to be different somehow.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,683 Posts
My mistake, didn't re- read the previous targets.

How about an abandoned store?

·
Rider
740 Posts
Damn! I know exactly where I could take a really cool picture of and old abandoned bike shop but there is 9 inches of snow on the ground and the roads are filthy with salt!! Man I wish I could get this one! It's supposed to warm up this week so if it's still up next week I will run down there and get it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Swung by this place today with the wife - this was originally a gas station, then a motorcycle repair shop, then a bail bond store. It's full of wooden pallets now, so I'm taking that as a sign that it is either out of business (again) or someone is paying their bond in pallets.

Wind Horse - would still like to see the pick of the old bike shop.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Also - I think earlier in the thread (sorry, being lazy) someone suggested a covered bridge but it was deemed a difficult target as there aren't many left. I thought I would upload this one for completeness. It is in New Euharlee, GA, USA. We stopped by a couple of weeks ago (and I've been lazy pulling it off my phone for upload) and got as close as we could. It is only open to foot traffic and is a Georgia Historical Society site. I've uploaded a lower-res image of the sign which reads:

Euharlee Creek Covered Bridge
In 1886 the county contracted with Washington W. King, son of freed slave and noted bridge builder Horace King, and Jonathan H. Burke for the construction of this 138-foot bridge. It was adjacent to a mill owned by Daniel Lowry, of which the foundation is still evident. This bridge replaced several previous structures, the last having been built two years prior. Constructed in the Town lattice design, the bridge's web of planks crosscrossing at 45- to 60-degree angles are fastened with wooden pegs, or trunnels, at each intersection.

·
Rider
740 Posts
Swung by this place today with the wife - this was originally a gas station, then a motorcycle repair shop, then a bail bond store. It's full of wooden pallets now, so I'm taking that as a sign that it is either out of business (again) or someone is paying their bond in pallets.

Wind Horse - would still like to see the pick of the old bike shop.

View attachment 577856
I will still get it and post it. What's the next target?

·
Rider
740 Posts
Also - I think earlier in the thread (sorry, being lazy) someone suggested a covered bridge but it was deemed a difficult target as there aren't many left. I thought I would upload this one for completeness. It is in New Euharlee, GA, USA. We stopped by a couple of weeks ago (and I've been lazy pulling it off my phone for upload) and got as close as we could. It is only open to foot traffic and is a Georgia Historical Society site. I've uploaded a lower-res image of the sign which reads:

Euharlee Creek Covered Bridge
In 1886 the county contracted with Washington W. King, son of freed slave and noted bridge builder Horace King, and Jonathan H. Burke for the construction of this 138-foot bridge. It was adjacent to a mill owned by Daniel Lowry, of which the foundation is still evident. This bridge replaced several previous structures, the last having been built two years prior. Constructed in the Town lattice design, the bridge's web of planks crosscrossing at 45- to 60-degree angles are fastened with wooden pegs, or trunnels, at each intersection.

View attachment 577872

View attachment 577873

View attachment 577874
I don't remember the covered bridge being a target. We have at least 10 of them here in northeast Ohio. We do a covered bridge run every year where we travel to the different bridges. I like the one you posted here and the history behind it!

·
Registered
844 Posts
A covered bridge was named back in page 7. Ectringali then posted a picture of it. (A few minutes before I went to post my own). But yours are still cool pictures and (I think) well within the spirit of the game. Especially adding the history was a nice touch. Thanks.
And I think UnMonkey gets to post the next item?

·
Bronze member
1,376 Posts
Great to see. Before I got my Scout I went looking for all the covered bridges and railroad cabooses (I might have suggested those) within 100 to 150 miles of home.
I had wanted to go see a few covered bridges fairly nearby ever since I saw their locations marked on an old road atlas back in the late 1980's. Didn't get around to it until 9 years ago.
That was while riding my old Yamaha 750 V-Twin. About a few dozen of each found, all shapes and sizes. There was one tiny 'covered bridge' at a home over a ditch along the road. Another behind a house and I was welcomed there to ride into the backyard for a photo.
I never made it to that one in Georgia but it was known to me and if my Yamaha hadn't broken down I probably would have gone there too. I lost interest by the time I bought the Scout but it would be a good idea again, and go beyond the already searched circle.
I used online sources that gave GPS coordinates and other descriptions. I made a map for Google Earth after I had the info. And... looking at that just now, Euharlee bridge is not on there. Yet I know it was a prospective visit. Curious thing. I think it might have actually been my next destination when the stator failed on the Yamaha. I must have been waiting to go before adding to the map.
If anyone is interested, here's the link for covered bridges and railroad cabooses (requiring Google Earth program beforehand). I never got to all of them, so many. And both of these objects can be elusive, changing, ephemeral or just plain gone over time; which I found to my dismay more than once.
I also never listed the original sources so they lack crediting other peoples work since it was originally for my own purposes. Although I probably have old browser bookmarks somewhere. Similar can easily be found with online search for "sightings" of cabooses or bridges, no doubt, I just never found a map like I put together.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Next: A Bowling Alley - I believe they exist in every country. I'm a big bowler, so I'll recuse myself from this one. I'd love to hear the story behind it if it is an older (say, pre-1970) center.

421 - 440 of 475 Posts