Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mine, but need to talk to others that also may have.

Has to do with fit.

Also, if you have on FTR S or Base model.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have mine, but need to talk to others that also may have.

Has to do with fit.

Also, if you have on FTR S or Base model.

Thanks
assume you are talking about FM. mines about 7/16 from going all the way on.fits over the slots ok ,the rest of the dia. is about .010 to small.the tough ss will not move like mild steel .
my bike-FTRs

·
517 Posts
assume you are talking about FM. mines about 7/16 from going all the way on.fits over the slots ok ,the rest of the dia. is about .010 to small.the tough ss will not move like mild steel .
my bike-FTRs
Our link pipe is designed to engage the stock head pipe with a very tight fit as it does not use a gasket like the factory catalyst chamber and this ensures a leak free installation. It may be necessary to work the pipe back and forth slightly and use some lubricant to get proper engagement, the link pipe just needs to slide on sightly past the slots. We have found some of the stock header pipes are slightly egg shaped and the spec varies a bit so a little extra effort may be required.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my bike-FTRs
Kind of like this.......

1st De Cat Too Small.jpg

·
517 Posts
Kind of like this.......

View attachment 516672
As we communicated today we are more than happy to accomodate you in any way you feel comfortable. If this includes further expanding another pipe to your liking we can do so, we stand behind our products 100%

we’ve sold many of these pipes to users & dealer across the country, and i’ve personally installed several of them. Also note and the S and RR use the same pipe.

after you communicated with us today I pulled the muffler and link pipe from our in house FTR and grabbed 2 different new link pipes from our inventory and fit them up to our bike to verify fitment. Yes, tight fit; slight amount of lubricant, move back & forth and they installed without issue. Just has to clear the slots and engagement is positive.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In my case, all the lube and flexing in the world wasn't going to get it any farther.
I even ground the inside a bit with a closely fitted die grinder abrasive wheel.
It was too much under sized at .025 to .040 .
I even used a brass hammer on the only corner that I cold get a hit on. Not hard, but repeated contact.
In a full system, the maker has an easier time to make everything fit.
In the case of aftermarket part vs Indian, it's a bit of a moving target on specs / fit.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just a bit louder, but not by much.

Has a bit of a deeper sound.
Thank you for that.

Can this link cat delete pipe be used without any other changes? Bolt in and go?

I'm interested in reducing some weight, heat and improving the exhaust note a little bit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
After  De Cat sz 999.jpg
Thank you for that.

Can this link cat delete pipe be used without any other changes? Bolt in and go?

I'm interested in reducing some weight, heat and improving the exhaust note a little bit.
You would want flash specifically for DE cat link.
I got the flash for it even after I had flash to improve bike with stock exhaust.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do.
S model.
Just a bit louder, but not by much.

Has a bit of a deeper sound.
Just curious, have either of you guys noticed a reduction in heat radiating off the bike?

Also, do you recommend putting the baffles back in the cans, or leaving them out?

I think my link pipe is supposed to come in tomorrow, and I'll mess around with it over the weekend and let y'all know what my experience is.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just curious, have either of you guys noticed a reduction in heat radiating off the bike?

Also, do you recommend putting the baffles back in the cans, or leaving them out?

I think my link pipe is supposed to come in tomorrow, and I'll mess around with it over the weekend and let y'all know what my experience is.
Haven't noticed any difference in radiated heat, but I really haven't looked for it, either.

I'm running mine with baffles in.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts