• 50s

Votes: 22 8.1%
  • younger

Votes: 24 8.9%
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm surprised at the low number of riders under 50. I suspect the really younger riders haven't gotten out of the crotch rocket stage yet and a large percentage of others are working hard to pay off mortgages, send kids to college and keep in groceries and gasoline and simply don't have the time and money for an expensive bike.

·
Founding member
1,099 Posts
Good points, Hink. I'm sure some of our younger forum members have not posted because of their 'great' ages, and I say that with a tad of envy, :), but also younger folks/riders probably spend a lot more time on FB than forums. What a great group we have though.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
It does look like this poll mimics stats from the MIC that show the median age of riders in the U.S. is slightly over 50. And climbing every year. In 1985 median age was 27!

Personally, I see very few young riders. Almost no minibikes or dirt bikes in peoples yards. No "cheap beater bikes" on the road. The sport is becoming a rich person's hobby.

Are young people becoming spoiled towards comfort and low-maintenance vehicles? Will small electric bikes be the next wave?

·
Rider
2,028 Posts
Whilst not a member of this forum or an Indian rider the oldest mate I know who still rides is the gentleman below. Lifted from another thread which was my response to HowieB2 who introduced himself on this forum at 86 years of age earlier this year.

Welcome from the South Coast UK. I've got a mate Dennis who still rides the same Tiger Cub he bought from new. Every year he says "This'll be my last year of riding" and every year he continues. He has had to have the seat reworked to take foam out as he is getting shorter with age. Dennis will be celebrating his 88th birthday this year. Guys like you and Dennis are a true inspiration. Thank you and welcome!

View attachment 678402

·
Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
368 Posts
I'm surprised at the low number of riders under 50. I suspect the really younger riders haven't gotten out of the crotch rocket stage yet and a large percentage of others are working hard to pay off mortgages, send kids to college and keep in groceries and gasoline and simply don't have the time and money for an expensive bike.
Well I know when I was younger there were several things that affected my bike purchasing.... first and foremost... Funds. Then you also have style, desire and so forth. I could not imagine spending heaps of money for a cruiser bike when I could buy a dirt bike, sport bike and scooter for the cost of one cruiser bike when I was in my 20s. At least for me... and most guys who ride that I know (Mind you most of us ride dirt bikes, adventure bikes and Super Motard type bikes) we didn't get into cruisers till later in life when we had more disposable income and didn't have to give up the other bikes that we love and still ride.

When I decided to get a cruiser bike, I was not about to buy a Honda so looked at Harleys but just can't stand them. Not sure what it is... but then I found Indian and... well here I am. And yes... I am 53 now so that is how the timing worked for me.

·
Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
368 Posts
73 years old, ride my Springfield when I can except in cold Michigan weather. Was able to put 4500 miles on it in 2021.
We had a guy who would put studded tires on his bike and home made "landing gear" / "Training wheels" and ride year round. Talk about dedicated. It was about -23 degrees one morning on my way to work and this bloke goes blasting past me like I am standing still. I love riding... but admit to not being that dedicated. He was so bundled up and usually went by so fast I never really saw what type of bike it was. But it did not have full fairings, I do know that.

I live in WA and it rains a lot here. I would say (I have a lot of MC's) that I put on average about 15,000 to 20,000 miles per year on two wheels. My 4 wheelers are lucky to get more than 500 miles per year on them.

I think it is awesome that you still ride when you can. In 20 years I plan on being just like you!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
So did we ever figure out who is the oldest rider?
Some wise a?? was pushing the buttons !!! If there is a 90 yr old he would have left a message !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:p:LOL:(y):giggle:

·
Registered
27 Posts
65 Y/O....started riding at 17, got my 1st Harley at 18 (my poor Irish mother) had Harleys for 46 years , sometimes 3 at once, bought a 2014 Red Vintage 2 years ago, sold all the Harleys retired 1 year ago moved from NJ to the Beautiful Midwest Heartland. All the money I would have spent on Psychatrists, I spent on Bikes...

·
Registered
84 Posts
My husband will be 74 in July and I am 68 and we both still ride everywhere. He has been riding since he was a teenager, but I didn't even learn how to ride and own a bike till I was 50 years old. We travel all over the country every spring/summer/fall (we live in MN so riding is limited) year and have traveled to California to the west and Maine/New York to the east and everywhere in between. We have never trailered our bikes to any destination. One time we rented bikes in Colorado when visiting family there. My husband rode solo from MN in April all the way to Guatemala when he was 65 years old...he's a bit crazy. We have ridden the Tail of the Dragon and a lot of the well known motorcycle destinations. He did the 4-corners USA ride solo a few years back, too. I've put on almost 100K miles as a late bloomer when it comes to riding. When we can no longer hold up our bikes, we will probably graduate to a convertible... :cool: He now rides a 2014 Vaquero and a 2008 V-Strom and I ride a 2018 Chieftain Limited. With the good Lord willing, we will be riding yet for many years!

81 - 100 of 104 Posts