Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Who is going to Daytona Biketoberfest or Sturgis?

540 Views 18 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  chrisdcraft71
Was thinking about heading down with a friend. Is it as big as the March Daytona Bike Week? Anyone else heading down and possibly want to meet up?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2022 Indian Scout Bobber (ABS)
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not as big as Bike Week. Over the years, both Bike Week & Biketoberfest have seen a decline in attendance and vendors.
Is there a better event? Sturgis better?

· Registered
2022 Indian Scout Bobber (ABS)
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Frank White I think Sturgis blows Bike Week away. It’s my favorite rally. Much more spread out, even to surrounding cities in SD and Wyoming. Plus, plenty of good riding & things to see. Can’t say that about Daytona…flat and straight. Nothing really to see.
I wanted to go out that way but Not the crowd type. But would love to connect with like minded people and such so I figured it would be a good idea. lol

Reactions: Micmac

· Registered
3,207 Posts
I might go down to Biketoberfest this year, since I will be moving to Jacksonville.

· Registered
2020 Challenger...Sandstone Smoke
1,382 Posts
Been to both over the years...Daytona, no big deal, flat straight roads for the most part, main street is fun once. Sturgis is much bigger and has way better riding but way to many people. I've been back to Sturgis 3 times since but never during the rally.

· Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
1,468 Posts
I've been to all three (Daytona, Sturgis, Biketoberfest), I think it was the first Biketober fest in the early 1980's. I was at. It was rune by ABATE of Florida probably less than 200 people. Each has its own ups and downs. I don't think I'll ever go back to Sturgis because of distance, and it seems to be the most expensive.Eveyone has to go at least once that rides. I try to go to Daytona every year (my first time was '73 but haven't been for a few years. I am going this year, and guess what Hink? I'm putting Snake Eyes on a trailer. I might park the trailer at my son's in North Carolina, I might just join all the other trailers on 1-95. Hell, I got Yankee license tags on everything, I'll fit right in. There is another cool rally that is seldom mentioned. Laconia New Hampshire Bike week, usually Father's Day weekend. It is huge and has some wonderful riding in the mountains. Just my .02.

· Registered
3,207 Posts
I’ve got a thing about trailering my bike ~~ the only time I trailer it is when it’s broken. Julie and I always get a kick out of the Harley guys who trailer their bikes to Sturgis. Why not just ride ‘em there? 🤔
I know some guys that trailer behind a motorhome so that they don't have to pay for a hotel room. Seems counterintuitive to me, as the cost of a motorhome generally far outstrips the cost of a hotel room a couple times a year.

I, unfortunately, will have to trailer my RM from NY to FL in a couple months when I move. Two cars and a bike, and only two drivers, so...

Reactions: HINK

· Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
1,468 Posts
I’ve got a thing about trailering my bike ~~ the only time I trailer it is when it’s broken. Julie and I always get a kick out of the Harley guys who trailer their bikes to Sturgis. Why not just ride ‘em there? 🤔
Me too. But when it's below 20 degrees, and I'm too frozen to give the guy at the toll booth on the Maine Turnpike money to pay for a ride on a road I paid for I ain't got no shame! But I agree.

· Registered
338 Posts
Me too. But when it's below 20 degrees, and I'm too frozen to give the guy at the toll booth on the Maine Turnpike money to pay for a ride on a road I paid for I ain't got no shame! But I agree.
As another transplanted southerner to Maine, I concur. Not only the brutal cold, but the fact that every time it snows, (which this winter has been quite frequent), the roads get a good coating of salt, sand and whatever else that will destroy your motorcycle. Roads can be bone dry for most areas, but all it takes is a spot where the melt water from the crud on the side of the road runs across and your bike is coated with this Sh*T.

· Registered
2019 Chieftain Classic 2018 Vintage
197 Posts
Been there and really enjoyed Daytona Bike week, although last year was a bust due to all the rain. Thinking of camping this year, no RV or trailer, just a pop-up tent and a sleeping bag. Any suggestions, I heard that Crazy Horse might be the ticket?

· Super Moderator / Founding Member
5,076 Posts
@Frank White I think Sturgis blows Bike Week away. It’s my favorite rally. Much more spread out, even to surrounding cities in SD and Wyoming. Plus, plenty of good riding & things to see. Can’t say that about Daytona…flat and straight. Nothing really to see.
I have to agree. Bike Week IMO is one of those bucket list things. Did it a few years before COVID hit because a friend of mine was purchasing a bike in the southeast and wanted me to trailer it because of the weather. As we got ready he mentioned that Bike Week was that same week and we were not that far away. We loaded up my bike and headed out. It was fun but a been there and done that once we left. We did a ride up the coast which was the highlight of the trip. It was fun to go up and down the strip in Daytona but I highly doubt I would ever go again. Outside the coastal ride view there was not much else to do riding wise. Besides I thought Kansas was flat! About the only hills in Florida are the bridges as you hop down to Key West! Dean

· Registered
749 Posts
I’ve done Daytona about a half dozen times but it just got too crowded for me. Haven’t been since 2001 or 2002. The only allure of Daytona for me anymore is the better weather after 3 or so months of not getting to ride.
Went to Sturgis in ‘94. 1400 miles of which about 1300 were flat and straight. The most boring ride ever. And then dreading doing it again for the ride back.
Went to Laconia in ‘99 and really enjoyed it. More scenery to ride and things are spread out. Rode there and stayed with a friend and his buddies. A bit different in that part of the country than what I was used to, meaning the people. But I liked it.
If you haven’t been to any of them you gotta try them all at least once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts