Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

it's raining here now and my OEM Kenda tyres aren't really up to the job. Does anyone have any views about the quality of any of the whitewall options? Perhaps Avon AV70/71? Particularly in terms of handling (especially in wet weather) and longevity.

Also, what's the best way to keep whitewall tyres looking nice?

Thanks for any opinions and info,

Bob

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Elbow grease and a good bleaching agent - Bleche White for instance works well. Don't wait for the grime contamination to build up too far or the job becomes a bit more difficult.

·
Early joiner
230 Posts
Beat way to keep clean...don't buy them in the first place, such a pain in the ass to maintain...like wise, wheels with spokes...just my .02 worth.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
I'm old school, white walls belong on luxury cars, not motorcycles.
Why punish yourself with white wall tires on your bike, they are a REAL pain in the ass to maintain.
On a car you only have to worry about one side, on a bike both sides.

·
Bronze member
2,272 Posts
Had whitewalls on a RK Classic. Looked good on a nostalgic bike, but a PITA to keep clean. Best think I found was a Brillo pad. Three things I'll never have again on a bike - leather bags, spokes, and whitewalls.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm old school, white walls belong on luxury cars, not motorcycles.
Why punish yourself with white wall tires on your bike, they are a REAL pain in the ass to maintain.
On a car you only have to worry about one side, on a bike both sides.
On a bike 2 sides and 2 wheels and on a car 1 side and 4 wheels = same number of white wall tire sides to clean ;-)))
Easier access on car I admit.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ok guys, since I'm interested in whitewall tires myself and nobody really answered the OP's question, I repeat Bob's question:
"Does anyone have any views about the quality of any of the whitewall options? Perhaps Avon AV70/71? Particularly in terms of handling (especially in wet weather) and longevity?"
I'm adding to this question: Is anybody using the Shinko 777 and are they any good? Anybody running them with an opinion to share?
Last question I'd like to hear an opinion from an actual user is: Did anybody try running a fatter tire in the rear? Like a 170/70-16?
We all know by now that whitewall tires are "a pain in the but to keep clean" :mad: and that they "actually belong on luxury cars and not motorcycles" ;), so please save these comments and just whitwall users comment :)

·
Silver member
4,836 Posts
Okay, I can't tell you about WWW on non-spoke tires, but I have been running Dunlop WWW on my old bike for years and they hold up great.

On the cleaning, here's what to do. Clean them with Westleys Bleach White or Magic Eraser's. Once the tire is completely dry spray them with Aerosal Scotch Guard and let it completely dry. They will stay clean for 3 to 4 months as the brake dust will just roll off them. Now if you get into a rain storm or mud of course all bets are off, but mine look like this most all of the time with the Scotchguard applied...

Jesse Garage (2).jpg
IMG_0352.JPG

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thank you Pablo94

·
Rider
1,395 Posts
Bike jack + sos pads with bleach in them. Wet the tire gently rub over with pad dry with old towel. That easy, no need to reinvent the wheel

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Okay, I can't tell you about WWW on non-spoke tires, but I have been running Dunlop WWW on my old bike for years and they hold up great.

On the cleaning, here's what to do. Clean them with Westleys Bleach White or Magic Eraser's. Once the tire is completely dry spray them with Aerosal Scotch Guard and let it completely dry. They will stay clean for 3 to 4 months as the brake dust will just roll off them. Now if you get into a rain storm or mud of course all bets are off, but mine look like this most all of the time with the Scotchguard applied...

View attachment 524988 View attachment 524990
Dang, Good tip on the Scotchguard! Your bike looks great! I have struggled with the amount of cleaning my Classic needs in that regard, now I might have a little better luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser does a really good job of cleaning the white walls. Easy to use and fast if you can raise the wheel and turn it as you clean it.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
love the look of them, but i ran into some serious $$$ issues with spoke wheel bike's i had. spokes come loose an will warp the rim. But they do have some serious awesome look to them when both are polished an white.

·
Silver member
3,868 Posts
Any way you clean WWs, it's a labor of love aka, PIA. But to me it's a kind of therapy LOL. I jack bike up, then clean the rims and WWs with 409 or equivalent, then go over the rims and WWs with Windex. Then as Pablo does, Scotch Guard. Scotch Guard makes the next detail session go a lot easier. I did my WWs a couple of weeks ago. I applied a spray wax to the WWs instead of the Scotch Guard, just to see if it will work, or help. Time will tell, but I'm think'n the Scotch Guard is prolly a better bet.

·
Silver member
4,836 Posts
I learned that trick with the Scotchguard from my San Jose Gilroy dealer back in the day. Never failed me yet in normal, non rainy riding conditions.

Reactions: GaD57

·
Registered
592 Posts
I use just about any foaming cleaner. I've used TurtleWax spray wash, TurtleWax upholstery cleaner, even tire shine. The secret to it is the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers! They take almost all of the elbow grease out of the process...
BTW, I will try the Scotch Guard thing.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Great advice on keeping these WWs clean, bright and shiny :) - thanks to everybody! Now, does anybody have any experience with a fatter rear tire on original 3.5" cast Scout wheel, like a 170/70 and or Shinko 777 tires, front and rear?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts