Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across this before?
A white residue on the piece of metal that is just behind the engine. I’ve tried soap , wd40 , alcohol . Clears when the metal is wet but returns when dry. TIA
1C5DFCBF-B28E-4527-8836-2D611FEB983C.jpeg

·
Rider
979 Posts
Did you use simple green to wash the bike. Sometimes that will leave a residue like that due to the acid in it unless it is diluted. First you have to figure out what caused it and then avoid doing it again. As for a fix I have used HD engine brightener before with good results. I believe S100 make a product as well but I haven't used them in a while. Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SJ
I use Autosol Matt Shampoo. I’ll try some HD engine brightner.

·
Bronze member
2,003 Posts
I first noticed that part on my Scout sometime after a wash using S100.
It didn’t get wiped down like the paint and chrome. It was fairly evenly covered in white spots. I was able to clean that off but it remains speckled as pictured here.

The instructions for S100 Total Cycle Cleaner says something about not letting it dry on surfaces, and incomplete rinsing off could leave a white residue.
Here’s the other side.

I was thinking it’s probably something about the paint of this part, and the possibility of road salt.

I have applied ACF 50 (metal protector) only once a couple years ago, and S100 Engine Brightener half year ago.
I mostly just use the S100 Detail+Wax, only a complete wash twice a year.

·
Rider
979 Posts
I first noticed that part on my Scout sometime after a wash using S100.
It didn’t get wiped down like the paint and chrome. It was fairly evenly covered in white spots. I was able to clean that off but it remains speckled as pictured here.
View attachment 594369
The instructions for S100 Total Cycle Cleaner says something about not letting it dry on surfaces, and incomplete rinsing off could leave a white residue.
Here’s the other side.
View attachment 594370
I was thinking it’s probably something about the paint of this part, and the possibility of road salt.

I have applied ACF 50 (metal protector) only once a couple years ago, and S100 Engine Brightener half year ago.
I mostly just use the S100 Detail+Wax, only a complete wash twice a year.
Yeah S100 total cycle cleaner will leave spot unless you rinse thoroughly. Another thing to think about is not washing your cycle or any vehicle for that matter in direct sunlight. This will cause the minerals in water to remain on the surface of the vehicle after the water evaporates and can cause spotting/damage to the finish.

How did the S100 engine brightener work for you?

·
Bronze member
2,003 Posts
How did the S100 engine brightener work for you?
My honest opinion, it was very much like the ACF 50 stuff, mainly an oily coating.
Of course it was the idea I had in mind, to cover every possible metal surface. All the nooks and crannies.

Although I didn’t notice any accumulations of dirt or dust afterward, like I read might happen, the mufflers and heat shields smoked and streaked a lot. So those had to be cleaned.

It’s anybody’s guess as to the actual difference it makes as far as preventing corrosion.
I did think it helps shine up the dark parts of the Scout engine. Obviously due to a wet look.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I've sometimes got white residue after cleaning, which I took as not rinsing and wiping dry quickly enough and some soap spots dried on. Mostly I've cleaned it up with a detailing spray.

·
Rider
979 Posts
In addition to rinsing thoroughly, I use a blaster to blow all the water off before it can spot. There may be some left but it is very minimal and can easily be wiped away.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Personal use I wipe the black metallic areas down with a small bit of ATF and it keeps them really nice looking for several months.

Interesting note it smells the same as the oil burned off when the bike is new. Delicious.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here is a couple pics after a quick wipe down with ATF. The part showed in the OPs picture gets the same white splotches. The light film of oil keeps the black areas vibrant for a couple months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts