Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched for whine issues in the forum, but this whine happens when my bike is OFF, hot or cool. I've walked into my garage before and my bike will let out a whine when it's just sitting there cool. It also does it when I've turned it off after a ride. It's pretty embarrassing! It's been described as a cat screeching or like air escaping a balloon when you pinch the opening. Any ideas??

I don't know if this is a related issue but my bike simply dies at 90 miles. No sputter or gas low light. Also, many times it will start up fine and I'll go 3 to 5 miles to the gas station and it won't restart. I've had it towed twice because of it dying on a drive and not restarting. It gives me so much anxiety about riding with groups that I don't do it anymore. Next step is leaving it at the dealership to get them to figure out what's up with it. I took it there once before and they didn't find anything.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
Next time you hear it, pop open the gas cap. If it stops, there's your issue. There's a valve in there that makes that noise as the gas fume expands and contracts.

There is a fix out there. Search for gas cap whine on YouTube. I fixed mine by getting an aftermarket screw on cap.

Whine:

Disassembly:

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
It's the breather assembly on the gas tank.. totally normal.
There is a how to on a mod somewhere here to fix it If it's a bother, but I don't think I'd go through the trouble for something as minor as a sound it makes when gases expand and contract when your off it... but that's me.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Next time you hear it, pop open the gas cap. If it stops, there's your issue. There's a valve in there that makes that noise as the gas fume expands and contracts.

There is a fix out there. Search for gas cap whine on YouTube. I fixed mine by getting an aftermarket screw on cap.
Jynx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the breather assembly on the gas tank.. totally normal.
There is a how to on a mod somewhere here to fix it If it's a bother, but I don't think I'd go through the trouble for something as minor as a sound it makes when gases expand and contract when your off it... but that's me.
Do you think it has anything to do with it dying or not restarting?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Whine:

Disassembly:
Thank you for taking the time to post those.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Do you think it has anything to do with it dying or not restarting?
It's possible, There's a possibility that the gas cap isn't venting right and what you get is a vacuum in the gas tank that the fuel pump can't overcome. Then as the bike sits the pressure equalizes creating the noize you've heard.

See if you can ride until it quits again and then crack open the gas cap, let the pressure equalize and try restarting.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yep, I second that. I've had experience with other bikes that will stall and refuse to restart because the breather mechanism in the tank cap was blocked...the scout should breathe under the cap through that tiny plastic grommet in the tank rim. You can remove that grommet and check that the tiny hole is open. Be very careful if you do pry that plug out to put something in the gas tank filler hole (a cloth) to stop the little chappy falling into the tank! That vent plug is the access point to the metal tube that passes through the tank and joins a rubber vent tube under the tank and passes back under the seat and down through the bike frame.

·
Registered
201 Posts

The lower open hole is the drain for excess fuel - it goes through the tank by the same route and joins the second rubber tube travelling backwards. Mine is a European model so my breather tube and drain tube join up and dump out the back! I think that on Californian spec models that breather is supposed to go to that carbon filter thingy to comply with emissions regulations.

·
Silver member
5,292 Posts
In addition to what others said;
Regarding bike not starting at times - if you haven't already; checked the battery connections to make sure they aren't loose.

Also it may be one with the bad starter depending what year your bike is.
Indian sent of a Service Advisory on the starter for scout models built through April 20, 2017. Not sure if this is the problem but something maybe worth looking into.

As for the whining noise; that's just your bike crying because it wants you to take it out again... 😊... My Scout does the same thing; pretty common.

·
Rider
1,168 Posts
Bugged the heck out of me until I learned what it was..
Here is what fixed it for me:

There is a good gas station about a mile from home. I always fill the tank on the way home. It appears, based on my experience, the whistling will stop if the tank is full when you quit for the day. I am a path of least resistance guy. IMO, a full tank is the path of least resistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts