Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rider
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna do the best I can to describe this. It's a Scout 60, but this forum gets a lot more activity & shouldn't matter.

Just turned 19k on my 2017. After requisite tinkering, drive belt looks pretty good re tension and tracking.

Higher pitched "whine" noise appears to be drive train in that it occurs mostly at certain speed. The 30-40 range in 2nd or 3rd. Most noticeable at 32-38. Stops if I engage (pull in) the clutch. It also gets more noticeable after the bike has been ridden longer - 20-40 or more miles. If I ride steady at 35 in 3rd it is continuous. If I accelerate through the gears from a stop at a brisk but not hard throttle it's not too noticeable. Say 2nd to 40 mph and 3rd to 50-55

The noise has always been there, I've heard similar on my Suzuki Savage. Oddly enough, seems to be a drive train sort of noise that I believe to be normal, but it has gotten louder the last several thousand miles which is why I am concerned.

Thanks to our fascist governor, I can't get it checked out at the Lexington KY dealer yet, and the Clarkstown IN dealer is semi locked down and just not practical. We have a good Honda dealer svc dept locally, but since they are the only shop within a good number of miles which is fully open, they are booked two months out even for a ride evaluation. Due to insurance concerns they won't even run it down the street for a listen unless it is written up which can't be done until mid / late June.

It is stressing me out not being able to get a qualified mechanic to listen to it to ascertain if it is serious enough to stop riding. I will lose my damn mind if I can't ride on good weather days right now. Gotta get out!!!!

If I knew of a decent shop/mechanic in greater Louisville that could look at it, that might help.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My 17 Scout Sixty is the same. Gear drive primary is almost indestructible but a little noisy. I kinda like the whine, but I love mechanical noises. I ride with full helmet and earplugs but that frequency makes it through somehow. Not a thing wrong with your bike.

·
Bronze member
1,457 Posts
Yes, primary gear whine. Gets a little better w/mileage but will always be there. 100% reliable gear drive instead of a chain. No adjustment and never wear out. Most Japanese bikes use the same. Takes less room in primary case, stronger, bathes in oil, nothing to go wrong. Probably more cost effective too.

·
Rider
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. Where would we be without forums like this??

But, though my budget has been creamed by current [unconstitutional, fascist] shutdown, I may still install some Crusher slip ons to mask some of the noise. Even with severely damaged hearing, a full face helmet and earplugs, it gets through LOL. The irony is that with my bad hearing I seem to miss what I want to hear & NEVER miss all the stuff that annoys me. Sigh.

·
Rider
620 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Where would we be without forums like this??

But, though my budget has been creamed by current [unconstitutional, fascist] shutdown, I may still install some Crusher slip ons to mask some of the noise. Even with severely damaged hearing, a full face helmet and earplugs, it gets through LOL. The irony is that with my bad hearing I seem to miss what I want to hear & NEVER miss all the stuff that annoys me. Sigh.
Get the new Packtalk Bold JBL com system. Get the speakers in your helmet and jam out.

·
Rider
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get the new Packtalk Bold JBL com system. Get the speakers in your helmet and jam out.
Interesting suggestion. For me though, I don't like any distractions such as music on a bike. Fine when driving a car, but not on a bike.
I had planned on some slip ons before the economy went south. I'm going to wait & see how things play out. If my client base hasn't been crushed I may still do it this year. Things are too unpredictable for me right now.

·
Rider
620 Posts
Ah right on. I have an issue with my mind wandering off so I have to have music on. I pay attention a lot better. It's weird but also annoying lol

·
Rider
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah right on. I have an issue with my mind wandering off so I have to have music on. I pay attention a lot better. It's weird but also annoying lol
Seems to be one or the other for people. If I listened to music I'd run off the road....or worse.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The whine shows up the difference between straight cut vs helical cut gears. Straight cut gears have the whine. Helical gears slide along each other as they rotate and don't have the whine. Helical gears tend to push each other sideways and they need shims and bearings to keep them meshed under load. Bikes use straight cut because they don't introduce sideways forces, therefore they're more compact and need less engineering.

Here's a clip that shows the whine is shared across all bikes.

·
Rider
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Followup folks. I have passed 26k on the Scout and one day recently I just noticed that the drive whine had decreased a lot, don't even notice it most of the time. I think everything must be wearing and settling in. I'm pretty sure it's not because I simply got used to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts