Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like many on this forum I’m trying to decide which seat to go to for my 2018 Chieftain Limited. Since I had the reduced reach handlebars installed the stock seat no longer works for me.

I’m trying to decide between, sending my seat to Mean City to be modded, or going with a Corbin or Ultimate seat.

Just looking at the design it looks like the Ultimate seat has the best design for the money. It looks like they made it more narrow at the front which would reduce pressure on the inside of the legs when both feet are flat on the ground. A complaint I have with other seat options. It’s also why I went with Indian because all the Harley stock seats I sat on caused pressure on my thighs when both feet are on the ground.

But.....I went on Corbin’s website and designed this really great looking seat. Plus Corbin now offers a built in seat cooler as well as a heater which might be a great option to have with the heat the 111’s make. (But the option isn’t cheap) Also I think the brown stripe I put on the seat would look nice with my bronze smoke paint. (My bike is bronze smoke unlike the one used in the attached picture.

Any helpful insight is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,552 Posts
Seats are kinda like windshields... you can’t try ‘em all. All I can tell you is that I could not be happier with my Corbin, and yes as you said, their website makes it fun and super easy to design your own perfect custom seat. But I know too that there are plenty of people on here that are just as totally happy with their Ultimate and Mustang seats. All I can say is good luck!

PS — let me add that Corbin has a great blood-red piping color, I think (maybe you already saw it) that I bet matches the color of your bike reaeeeeally well. I have it on my Corbin in fact.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seats are kinda like windshields... you can’t try ‘em all. All I can tell you is that I could not be happier with my Corbin, and yes as you said, their website makes it fun and super easy to design your own perfect custom seat. But I know too that there are plenty of people on here that are just as totally happy with their Ultimate and Mustang seats. All I can say is good luck!
Do you have any issues with the seat, like pressure on your legs with both feet on the ground?

(My bike is bronze smoke that’s why I went with tan piping.)

Unfortunately Corbin doesn’t let you choose the color of the bike when you design the seat.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
I’m not trying to rain on your parade but everyone’s ass is so different. I don’t know if you can return a Corbin now but you couldn’t a few years back. I had to sell mine at a loss not real bad I took a $150 hit. For me a little over an hour and my ass was killing me. I’m not knocking Corbin or anyone else’s seat. Just tryin to show how everyone fits different. Not like years ago when seats were $150 to 250. These seats get expensive.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m not trying to rain on your parade but everyone’s ass is so different. I don’t know if you can return a Corbin now but you couldn’t a few years back. I had to sell mine at a loss not real bad I took a $150 hit. For me a little over an hour and my ass was killing me. I’m not knocking Corbin or anyone else’s seat. Just tryin to show how everyone fits different. Not like years ago when seats were $150 to 250. These seats get expensive.
I appreciate what you are saying. I like that about Ultimate giving you a 14 day trial period. I found out from Corbin though that they will give you one free modification to the seat.....but they are considerably more expensive.

The thing I don’t like about Ultimate is if you read their website carefully they say you have to use a rain cover on the seat if you are riding in the rain since they don’t make their seats with a water barrier like most seats have.

What seat are you using now?

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Like many on this forum I’m trying to decide which seat to go to for my 2018 Chieftain Limited. Since I had the reduced reach handlebars installed the stock seat no longer works for me.

I’m trying to decide between, sending my seat to Mean City to be modded, or going with a Corbin or Ultimate seat.

Just looking at the design it looks like the Ultimate seat has the best design for the money. It looks like they made it more narrow at the front which would reduce pressure on the inside of the legs when both feet are flat on the ground. A complaint I have with other seat options. It’s also why I went with Indian because all the Harley stock seats I sat on caused pressure on my thighs when both feet are on the ground.

But.....I went on Corbin’s website and designed this really great looking seat. Plus Corbin now offers a built in seat cooler as well as a heater which might be a great option to have with the heat the 111’s make. (But the option isn’t cheap) Also I think the brown stripe I put on the seat would look nice with my bronze smoke paint. (My bike is bronze smoke unlike the one used in the attached picture.

Any helpful insight is greatly appreciated.

Unlike most, I like my OEM 17 RM Seat. I guess it just fits my shape. IF I were to swap, I'd go with Corbin. They off so many choices in colored leather and stitching. They are very comfortable and you can get both heated and cooled.

·
Rider
724 Posts
Unlike most, I like my OEM 17 RM Seat. I guess it just fits my shape. IF I were to swap, I'd go with Corbin. They off so many choices in colored leather and stitching. They are very comfortable and you can get both heated and cooled.
^^^^ This ^^^

I rode 701 miles the 2nd day I had my RM on the stock RM seat. I could have done another 300. I just get off every 150 miles, stretch, fill up, get some fluids in me, resoak my bandana, and then back on the bike.

I may add an airhawk at some point, not sure. I am still thinking about the extended reach seat.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
I appreciate what you are saying. I like that about Ultimate giving you a 14 day trial period. I found out from Corbin though that they will give you one free modification to the seat.....but they are considerably more expensive.

The thing I don’t like about Ultimate is if you read their website carefully they say you have to use a rain cover on the seat if you are riding in the rain since they don’t make their seats with a water barrier like most seats have.

What seat are you using now?

I’m quite fortunate this go around I have no issues on the long run with the stock seat on my 18 limited. I gave up on everyone’s seats luckily we have a seat guy here. I use to just give him my stock seat he would pull everything out and redo with 3 different type of foams. When he got done I was always good. He redone my Victory seat also 3 days to Cali from Chicago no issues. My whole point was I learned the hard way after hearing “this seat is the greatest” lol not on my Ass. For the price they should all be returnable in my eyes. Good luck and step cautiously was my point.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I’m quite fortunate this go around I have no issues on the long run with the stock seat on my 18 limited. I gave up on everyone’s seats luckily we have a seat guy here. I use to just give him my stock seat he would pull everything out and redo with 3 different type of foams. When he got done I was always good. He redone my Victory seat also 3 days to Cali from Chicago no issues. My whole point was I learned the hard way after hearing “this seat is the greatest” lol not on my Ass. For the price they should all be returnable in my eyes. Good luck and step cautiously was my point.
I like your advice about stepping cautiously. These custom seats are so expensive that you could wind up losing out on a lot of money. I like the ultimate seat because it looks like the shape is what would fit me best for the most comfort and I like their 14 day return policy. But I don’t like that you have to buy their rain seat covers and use them if it’s raining, even for riding in the rain. Ultimate doesn’t put a rain barrier in their seats so you basically are sitting on a giant sponge if you get get caught in the rain or if it unexpectedly rains overnight while at the hotel.

In my opinion though the Corbin seat is a much better looking seat and knowing that they can modify it after I purchase it is attractive as well as knowing Corbin makes their seats with the rain barrier built in. Also I have the option of riding to Hollister and have them custom shape the seat anyway I want. Decisions, decisions.......

I am disappointed because the stock seat was OK before I changed the handlebars. But I had to change the handlebars because of my arm and unfortunately that set off other changes.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
@Gearset807 i know what your saying I went Corbin for my Harley same reason. Good looks but for me it was like sitting on a picnic bench My Brother has a RM same with him. He gave his seat 3000 miles hoping his ass and the seat would form a friendship lol NFG ! He bought a seat like mine. We rolled for Cali again last summer he’s all good. I had a mustang on one of my Harleys that worked well. And some of my Harley oem seats worked well. My last Harley seat I’d roll with the Boss on back Chicago to Denver 1 day no problem. All in all like myself you realize these damn seats are nothing but a crap shoot every time. Good luck !

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
I like your advice about stepping cautiously. These custom seats are so expensive that you could wind up losing out on a lot of money. I like the ultimate seat because it looks like the shape is what would fit me best for the most comfort and I like their 14 day return policy. But I don’t like that you have to buy their rain seat covers and use them if it’s raining, even for riding in the rain. Ultimate doesn’t put a rain barrier in their seats so you basically are sitting on a giant sponge if you get get caught in the rain or if it unexpectedly rains overnight while at the hotel.

In my opinion though the Corbin seat is a much better looking seat and knowing that they can modify it after I purchase it is attractive as well as knowing Corbin makes their seats with the rain barrier built in. Also I have the option of riding to Hollister and have them custom shape the seat anyway I want. Decisions, decisions.......

I am disappointed because the stock seat was OK before I changed the handlebars. But I had to change the handlebars because of my arm and unfortunately that set off other changes.

Indian sells a seat cover that I'm pretty sure will cover just about any seat out there for those motel nights. It has plastic taps that fit under the front then elastic band that you stretch over the rest. Think its $40?

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,656 Posts
Go withMean City first. It's only a few hundred $.
If that doesn't work, then decide witch expensive seat to buy. I had Mean City try twice to fix my seat with no luck because I'm too tall for the stock seat (6'3").
Then Mustang for a year...
Now Ultimate Tall Boy for two years and happy.

·
Bronze member
1,552 Posts
Do you have any issues with the seat, like pressure on your legs with both feet on the ground? (My bike is bronze smoke that’s why I went with tan piping.) Unfortunately Corbin doesn’t let you choose the color of the bike when you design the seat.
My seat is perfect — as is my wife’s — she got a Corbin before I did and helped sell me on them (along with lots of happy customers on here). No issues with leg pressure or hot spots anywhere after riding for a full tank of gas. I in fact had that exact thought a few weeks ago after an overnight, 220-mile trip. Got home and my first thought was, “man it’s nice to not have a single issue with my seat comfort.” Haven’t ridden any other seat aside from the stock Indian, but in my book, and my wife’s, Corbin rocks. And their service and website rock too, IME. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any seat that has stitching should have a rain cover....liquids WILL pass through stitching.
That is true but Ultimate lets the buyer know that they do not put a water barrier between the cover and the foam like what you have in your stock seat, or in most seats. If the seat gets wet on the Ultimate seat the water will go through the stitching holes and directly into the foam. They even go as far to say that if you have a heated seat and the seat gets wet because the rain cover is not on the warranty is void.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts