Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbe question. Since the seat,handlebars and footrests are a system. Which do you replace first to get the desired effect. I need more and trying to decide which to replace first. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chieftain. Looking to get more leg room and ease the lower back pain. 4 hours is my max time in the saddle.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
More leg room: start with floorboard lowering kit, then seat alterations to match your needs. There are finally a lot of aftermarket options in seats.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm 6' 3'' and have a 2018 roadmaster and I did indian highrise seat and and mid rise bars out of the gate. No floor board lowering. The dealer said you will loose too much lean angle and be scraping. I test rode the bike with the standard seat and bars and was way too cramped. The bike is very comfortable and I ride it all day no problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I started with an Ultimate Tall Boy seat, which sits 1" further back than stock. Has a flatter seating surface, which suits me better also. Then, my arms were (are) too short, so i installed the Indian Reduced Reach bars, and Boom! feels great now.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I started with an Ultimate Tall Boy seat, which sits 1" further back than stock. Has a flatter seating surface, which suits me better also. Then, my arms were (are) too short, so i installed the Indian Reduced Reach bars, and Boom! feels great now.
How do you feel the turning (U-turn) with the reduced reach bar?
Please post photos of your bike to see the handlebar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure if this will help. I experienced discomfort from the seat after about 2 hrs or less in the saddle.... I bought a Corbin " widow maker " the seat is Wonderful, gives me a lower riding position than the stock seat with more leg room, as I perceived it at least. My bike is a 2015 Chieftain and came with Mid Rise bars and I am 6' 1" No more discomfort, my only problem now is finding the time to ride as much as I desire.... jp

·
Bronze member
1,393 Posts
I have replaced/re-worked the seats on all of my Indians to add more legroom - haven't touched the bars yet, other than correct positioning.

My RM has a Russel Day Long and the Vintage and Springfield both have Corbins.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a slightly used 2015 Chieftain, the mid rise bars were on it and they made the difference that got me to trade in my Victory XR to buy the Indian. I have since added the Corbin " widow maker " seat. The bike now fits like a glove, more room and much nicer seating comfort.. Just my TWO Cents ! ! !!
2015  Indian Chieftain   _ 3433.jpg

·
Founding member
943 Posts
Floorboard lowering the most bang for your buck. Had them for 4 years. Never bottomed out my pegs on a turn yet. Unless you take turns like a cafe racer. I tried a extended reach Indian seat. At the dealership and really liked it. But at $800 a bit pricey. But works with stock backrest.

·
Bronze member
1,736 Posts
Chieftain. Looking to get more leg room and ease the lower back pain. 4 hours is my max time in the saddle.
Have Corbin build you a seat with the maximum setback. Then give it a try but you may need the bars brought back to you a bit. Then add the Rox Risers.
I’m 6’3” and I use that exact setup. It fits me like a glove.

·
Founding member
2,059 Posts
(6'4", 35" inseam on a Chieftain) I've made two of the three changes ... seat and floorboard extension. The floorboard extension (Aeromach) is by far the cheapest option and made a substantial difference for me. Being able to drop the feet even an inch or so (and forward) makes a big difference. Changing the seat will run hundreds of dollars more, but it will also help provide more room. I went with a Corbin, but if Ultimate would have had a brown option back then, I'd have opted for one of theirs (had one on my previous bike).

For me, the bars are just fine and the only other change I would consider is a driver's backrest (also had that on my old bike with the Ultimate seat. Good luck finding comfort!

·
Bronze member
2,562 Posts
You forgot exhaust. I went this way.
1 & 2, Handlebars (low cost) and exhaust (so it doesn't sound like a sewing machine).
3, Corbin seat (nothing like it).

Reactions: MilwDave
1 - 16 of 16 Posts