Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Do you Analog? Or do you graph? And why?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Diamond member
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed I may be in the minority when I view key on pics of the FTR and the users preferred dash format.
I use the analog style dash . I like the organization of the 4 corner lay out, and I find the tach easier for quick glance reading. Yes, Obviously everything can be gotten used to. So I'm just curious and figured it would be interesting to see results.

·
Bronze member
1,764 Posts
^ I use that one as well. The round setup just isn’t conducive to look at. And puts the redline at the bottom of the screen. Plus the rpm needle is jumpy and doesn’t react fast/smoothly enough imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
636 Posts
I'm old school and prefer the analog dash view. Plus, the only time I'm really looking at it is when I crank the bike up to adjust the riding mode and when I'm stopped. I prefer to keep my eyes on the road ahead and not let the dash distract me. Hell, I drove motorcycles for years with no gauges and just my ear to the motor for when to shift. ;)

·
Diamond member
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm old school and prefer the analog dash view. Plus, the only time I'm really looking at it is when I crank the bike up to adjust the riding mode and when I'm stopped. I prefer to keep my eyes on the road ahead and not let the dash distract me. Hell, I drove motorcycles for years with no gauges and just my ear to the motor for when to shift. ;)
Click the poll choice boss!

·
Diamond member
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ I use that one as well. The round setup just isn’t conducive to look at. And puts the redline at the bottom of the screen. Plus the rpm needle is jumpy and doesn’t react fast/smoothly enough imo.

Curious, what does the graph do when redline is hit? The round gauge flashes red, which when happened First time got my attention.. "WTF was that" as I saw it happen in peripheral..

·
Bronze member
1,764 Posts
There is a red box that shows up around the gear number.

Although it would be neat if you could program that to come on like a shift light. As waiting to shift till you hit the rev limiter and see that warning is not very productive.

·
Bronze member
1,764 Posts
Was too fast for the GoPro to catch the red circle. But it says gear shift as well
IMG_1872.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did that for a bit too, I do like the look more, but had it wash out in sun a couple times, so went back to Auto.
Did you know when you exced the 9000 rpm limit on the anolog gauge that the outer gray ring on the tachometer turns red

·
Silver member
4,812 Posts
Yeah, we could actually see that in one of the Brandamp videos that leaked before the FTR was release/unvealed.

·
Read Only
636 Posts
If you're watching the tach waiting for the red limiter lamp to illuminate to shift, you're in deep shit for where you're heading! [facepalm] [blackeye]

·
Diamond member
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're watching the tach waiting for the red limiter lamp to illuminate to shift, you're in deep shit for where you're heading! [facepalm] [blackeye]
Looking at it,, yes..
but your failing to acknowledge the fact that our peripheral vision is literally designed to pick up motion and small changes with in it, while hard focusing on the road ahead..

·
Read Only
636 Posts
If you're wearing a full face helmet (like my Bilt Techno 2.0 Modular), peripheral vision doesn't work. You can't even see the display without looking down due to the section of the helmet across lower face area. If the display was mounted up higher, there wouldn't be this issue. Of course, the display would like shit sticking way up over the handlebar.

·
Bronze member
1,764 Posts
I can see it perfectly with my shoei when leaned down when riding sprinted.

Thus why I like the gauge where that info is towards the top of the screen.

Also the gear shift light illuminates before the rev limiter.

·
Diamond member
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you're wearing a full face helmet (like my Bilt Techno 2.0 Modular), peripheral vision doesn't work. You can't even see the display without looking down due to the section of the helmet across lower face area. If the display was mounted up higher, there wouldn't be this issue. Of course, the display would like shit sticking way up over the handlebar.
I discovered it through peripheral vision on accident, and I don't ride with out fullface bucket. I'll +1, As @ferraiolo1 has said. when in tuck and proper posture during spirited riding, the cluster is nearly front and center.

·
Read Only
636 Posts
Wow! You relocated every visual device. Even hacked off the OEM mounts for the digital display from the handlebar clamps. :eek:

·
Silver member
4,812 Posts
;) I have another pair of these clamps if I ever want to reverse it. Once the full carbon 150hp SP version is released for instance...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts