Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Scout Bobber Icon ABS
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide between FMB Choppers 10" Blazed ape hangers or the Dean Speed Low Ball 1 1/4" bars. Differences I see are pullback: FMBs have 8" and Dean Speed has 3.5". Both are 1 1/4 tubing. FMB has bar-end bungs for mirrors, DS doesn't specify. FMB mentions blazed, DS doesn't. Any information, guidance, or knowledge is appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My husband has FMB Chopper Fatty Mercs on his Victory and I have Dean Speed Low Ball 1 1/4 on my Scout! Here's the points we came up with:

For the pullback, it depends on how straight up or angled you want the bars (for comfort and looks) and what seating position is most comfortable for you. With FMB Choppers' increased pull back, you'll be able to have them more straight up & down. If you want the bars more angled toward you, the less pull back of Dean Speed Low Balls would probably be more comfortable.

It really helps to do a mock up on your bike to decide which pull back is a better position for you.

The bar end mirror bung of FMB choppers sounds convenient to me and would make me lean that way.

Great experiences with both places.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying. You have the perfect scenario owning both types! I'll have to try a mock up like you described. Dean Speed did reply back saying theirs doesn't come with the bar end bongs, but I dont think I would want them on tapes.

So from what you described, the less pullback, the more angled the bars can be. I think I get it. I was thinking of using the rake of the forks as a starting point. If I may ask, are the grips more angled toward you than say the stock bars? Many thanks again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
To me the angle of the Dean Speed bar ends is very, very close to the stock bars, almost the same.

I attached some pics of both of our bikes. With the black Victory, you can see how far the bar ends pull back from the bars (16" bars with 10" pullback.) And you can see how different the angle of the bars are compared to the forks. They're more straight up and down than angled because of the increased pullback and that's a comfortable riding position for him.

With my white Scout, the pull back is hardly noticable (12” bars, 3.5" pullback). And the angle of the bars is more in line with the forks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't believe how perfect your pictures show pullback. And I see that your husband is more hardcore than I am! I had thought that I was going with FMB because of the bar end connection (bung didn't work in my last post!). But your husband's bars, while bad ass, would not be a position I would feel comfortable riding in. I like the less pullback of your Dean Speed bars, and I would feel more in control closer over the forks, if that makes sense. I also like the straighter grip position than them pointing further back like FMB.

I have to say you sold it. Beautiful bikes, nicely sheltered, after my own heart. Now I need to build up enough guts to tackle this mod. Changing cables and ABS lines are new to me on motorcycles but nothing ventured, nothing gained ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Happy to help! Our mods and your questions worked perfectly, I have to say.

Yeah, the bars on my husband's bike are a bit ridiculous 😆, but definitely make it one of a kind!

Post some pics of your new bars when you get them on! Good luck with the mod, it's all part of the fun 🙂

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Placed my order on the 30th for my bars and called Barnett for the clutch and abs cable. Bummer they dont make their 'stealth' cables for the Bobber, I would pay extra for black chrome fittings. Almost went with Magnum Shielding, but their website doesn't know Bobbers exist and when I called the lady confirmed it. Too bad again, they have a copper color that would look awesome on my blue and black Bobber. Pics to come.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Good choice on dean I’ve got bars, sissy bar, engine guards and a custom exhaust from him. Top notch quality at a price that’s really hard to beat.

·
Registered
393 Posts
That's a sweet ride, I bet that exhaust is loud. What mirrors did you go with?
Yea it dose it’s very best to try and wake the dead lol. The mirrors I’m running right now are off a dark horse they work good but I’m planning on changing them soon for something a bit better looking

·
Registered
112 Posts
FMBrotha the best in da West well at least out here...Menacing 11s ohhh doggiee
yea n used the Indian kit was tight round the neck n had a box of Barnett goodies waitin to catch the lil Iowa night train but traded for a Cheiftain...ahhh the good ol days smokin teslas LnR.
20190907_111235.jpg
20190809_192443.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
FMBrotha the best in da West well at least out here...Menacing 11s ohhh doggiee
yea n used the Indian kit was tight round the neck n had a box of Barnett goodies waitin to catch the lil Iowa night train but traded for a Cheiftain...ahhh the good ol days smokin teslas LnR. View attachment 596938 View attachment 596939
Sweet bike!! Those bars are awesome on the bobber 🤘

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's mine. Had a problem with the first set of bars, so it took forever. Thanks to Prairie.rider for the helpful info and pics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts