Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, that's like asking what do you want in a mate. First let me tell you the problem I'm trying to fix. I have a 2020 Challenger and oldie butt. The engine vibration is acceptable and fine for those with young butts; not so much with oldie butts. So that's what I'm trying to find out - which seat is best on absorbing engine vibration? Saddlemen claims to reduce engine vibrations by 50% but can you believe it? Does their layer of gel laid in the saddle actually help? So I'm looking more for the right construction of a seat that would help more than the brand or even the cost. And does the word sciatica explain things? I do know I have two options. Those would be getting a younger butt and the other to quit riding. One option is impossible and the other is unacceptable. So, any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I would look for a seat that can be accommodated to your particular issues. If you are looking for an aftermarket seat, then Corbin, Russel, and (I think) Ultimate can "alter" their seats based on your preference. If you want to keep and modify your stock seat, then Mean City Cycles has a range of options and will work with you to solve issues, however, they do not work on seats with stock heaters in them.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I had a saddlemen on a previous bike, was the most comfortable of all the seats a tried

Reactions: bmoore

·
Vendor / bronze
2,985 Posts
Most of the aftermarket seats are pretty good. I use and sell Corbins. I love them and so do my customers. But many love their Mustang, Ultimate and Russel and Mother Roads. I think the Corbins are the most popular but you should notice a big improvement with any of these.

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chieftain (Tanto) Steel Gray
342 Posts
I Bought a Mustang and it much better than any stock seat I've ever used, on a Harley-Davidson or Indian.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Interesting, I was dreaming of possibly getting a Challenger someday because I didn’t like the vibration on my Chieftain only to learn that the Challenger also has vibration.

You just helped me save a lot of money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Most of the aftermarket seats are pretty good. I use and sell Corbins. I love them and so do my customers. But many love their Mustang, Ultimate and Russel and Mother Roads. I think the Corbins are the most popular but you should notice a big improvement with any of these.
I’ll be calling you this week I need the set screws for my quick disconnect bracket.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have tried most of the brands mentioned on this post over the years. I have Russell Gallery | Bike Seat | Russell Cycle Products on three bikes so that may say a lot right there. A less expensive alternative is a Terry Adcox seat Home | terryscustomseats that I have on another BMW cruiser currently and am impressed by the quality and comfort as well as looks. Russel and Terry seats are built to your specs on the original seat pan. I bought a used seat in a few of these on Ebay and had them recovered to avoid downtime. A custom seat fitted to your style, riding ergonomics, weight and inseam will usually always outperform an off the shelf item. A little more money but compromising on the comfort in the long run was never satisfactory for me. The pics of the BMW below are of the Terry's Seat. The top Pic is the Chieftain with the Russel Seat.
russel seat.jpg
IMG_2446.JPG
IMG_2441.JPG
IMG_2443.JPG

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all who replied but I still have a question left unanswered and maybe there is no answer to it. But I wonder if anyone had an idea about the gel that is used in aftermarket seats that is supposed to cut vibrations. I have no problem with the stock seat or the bike when it comes to ride for bumps and such. I am more concerned about the vibrations; you can feel them in the rear fender. Does anyone know if seat makers use the same type of gel? Or is there a certain type of gel that works best for vibrations? Claims are one thing. Facts are another. I've tried the gel pads without real success; maybe a little help but I also didn't want another 1/2" of seat height.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,985 Posts
One reason aftermarket seats are more comfortable is they use higher quality and more firm foam. If you are wiggling around on the seat it will wear you out fighting to stay stable. Stocks seats cause this problem. The gel is like a very firm foam and could work ok. But if is is not mounted firmly there is little to no benefit. So in conclusion I don't think a good seat needs the gel built in. Firm foam is cut from one piece and I think a better approach. So again, most, if not all of the aftermarket seats use good foam.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Thanks to all who replied but I still have a question left unanswered and maybe there is no answer to it. But I wonder if anyone had an idea about the gel that is used in aftermarket seats that is supposed to cut vibrations. I have no problem with the stock seat or the bike when it comes to ride for bumps and such. I am more concerned about the vibrations; you can feel them in the rear fender. Does anyone know if seat makers use the same type of gel? Or is there a certain type of gel that works best for vibrations? Claims are one thing. Facts are another. I've tried the gel pads without real success; maybe a little help but I also didn't want another 1/2" of seat height.
I could be wrong but I don’t think a seat with gel in it is going to help the vibration issue. Seats like the ones made by Saddlemen have gel in them but it’s a very firm gel that contours to your butt over time but it doesn’t help much with vibration. It’s been a long time since I’ve owned a Saddlemen seat so they might have improved their vibration isolation from when I owned one.

Something like an air pad on top of your seat would probably isolate you the most from vibration. The most popular are the AirHawk motorcycle seat pads. They will also raise you up some too since you are sitting on individual air chambers built into the pad. The pad fits inside a cover so it just looks looks like a seat cushion when it’s on the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thank all for your imput as I said before but a special thanks to Gearset807 and Marcus as I think you got it right. I actually bought a gel pad to put over the seat and didn't find it helped with the vibration at all. So I'm going to go for the foam. And the input from you is what I'm looking for - a better chance of success than the gel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts