Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to hard wire a usb plug to charge my phone. Is there a place under the dash storage compartment or do I need to go to the battery?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not sure what year your bike is.. but check this out.. this is how I wired my bike. I was able to get it from the back side without taking the front fairing off..

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use the SENA Powerpro mount charging system on my Vintage...You charge the device before you leave and it is good for 4 full charges...at least mine is..You don't have to connect it to the battery or anything...it works GREAT!
Camera accessory Toy Plastic Auto part Electric blue

·
Registered
2014 Indian Chief Classic
269 Posts
I don't know about the RM but I found an extra Delghi plug under the headlight harness that was easy to plug for a phone charger. I had to contact "White Electronics" for the other side to complete the connection. Maybe look under there. I zip tied the cable to the handlebar and use a Ram Mount X Grip to hold my iPhone 13. It's been working out just fine. By the way I have a Chief Classic.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not sure what year your bike is.. but check this out.. this is how I wired my bike. I was able to get it from the back side without taking the front fairing off..

You should be able to get a weather cap for that usb connector for when you're not using it. Also, I used that plug as a source for my radar detector and a USB charging cable - the radar detector worked fine, but the USB charging port won't work at all...I'm assuming the source circuit doesn't have enough current to charge my phone, but it does have enough to run the detector.

·
Registered
42 Posts
USB Splitter, Andul USB 2.0 Y Splitter Charger Cable 1 Male to 2 Female Power Cord Extension Hub Adapter for Car / Laptop / LED Etc,Navy https://a.co/d/gLD7kwf

What about something like this? Make the one in the dash compartment into a double. Assuming it can still read the songs on the mem stick would be an easy and cheap solution.

·
Registered
2014 Indian Chief Classic
269 Posts
I just watched the video listed in previous comments, that is the plug I used for my connection. Try White Electronics for the Delphi plug match and it's an easy solution to getting an extra USB on the bike.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
If you don't need to have the phone mounted on the handlebars, you can just plug a charger into the 12v port in the right saddlebag.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I already have a flash drive plugged in there with a couple hundred songs. I ride in areas that have no service so I can’t use Spotify, XM, etc.
10-4! Not sure what year you ride but the 2021's have the battery port right on dash, i use it to power my apple airpods (with battery tender USB stick) which enable Carplay on the Ride Command for my Iphone in the cubby. I hang the airpods on the brake line with lightning charge cable connected to the tender USB.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
USB Splitter, Andul USB 2.0 Y Splitter Charger Cable 1 Male to 2 Female Power Cord Extension Hub Adapter for Car / Laptop / LED Etc,Navy https://a.co/d/gLD7kwf

What about something like this? Make the one in the dash compartment into a double. Assuming it can still read the songs on the mem stick would be an easy and cheap solution.
This worked great. I installed the splitter under the storage box and ran one usb into the box and the other up to the Ram mount for my iPhone.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. There should be a power on/off with the bike's power button accessory connector inside the fairing. Probably have to take the front chrome piece off if you have that style fairing, and maybe remove the headlight to find it. Then just have to get the female plug to fit it and wire up whatever. Probably also the same underneath the seat too. Male accessory plug. Got tapped in to that one to run the cameras on my RM. And there are the cigarette style plug receptacles one in the back end of the right side saddle bag, and one in the trunk. I got adapters for USB, Mini USB, and Type C so I can plug in to one of those if I need to charge anything on the run like my NoCo jumper pack, portable air compressor or a phone or device. Got all the plug bases covered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts