Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Roadmaster Classic with 116. Changed oil in May, which was the first oil change since the 116 install. Got nowhere near 5 1/2 quarts of oil out of it when I drained it. Thought it was possible it was under filled at the shop. Change the oil myself with the Indian kit. Hit 5000 miles yesterday and changed oil today. Drained only 4 quarts out of it. Did not catch what came out when I took the oil filter off. So maybe add another pint. I don’t notice any smoke when riding And have never had anyone say that the Bike smokes. But somehow I’m losing a quart and a half over 5000 miles. Anyone have any insight?
Water Roof Water tank Storage tank Gas

·
Bronze member
3,578 Posts
What color are the inside ends of your mufflers?Are they black?? If so,it's possible that the rings haven't seated just yet,hence you will burn some oil.Or,it's also possible that the guys that assembled the motor did NOT stagger the rings,which i've seen mnay times over the years in the trade.Do you drive your bike hard or driven the bike at high speed on the highway since the job was done??Look at the litttle black hose that is located at the bottom of your air cleaner housing.Do you see any oil in or around that area??And then,it's also possible that the shop didn't put quite enough oil back in after completing the 116 up grade.As a rule of thumb,when you do a rebuild,alittle oil consumption will take place.
Anyways,finish your oil change then ride it,paying attention to the oil level on the dip stick on the next day to see if it has dropped.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Bikes with a catalytic converter can be hard to see if they are smoking or not they burn the oil completely so there isn't smoke.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hot running air cooled engines will flash off oil....
Little air cooled 4-strokes run at high speeds on the interstate (like the LS650 Suzuki single cylinder cruiser) will "use" a quart of oil in a few thousand miles. It isn't "burning"...it's just getting used.

Reactions: Moto_Max

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What color are the inside ends of your mufflers?Are they black?? If so,it's possible that the rings haven't seated just yet,hence you will burn some oil.Or,it's also possible that the guys that assembled the motor did NOT stagger the rings,which i've seen mnay times over the years in the trade.Do you drive your bike hard or driven the bike at high speed on the highway since the job was done??Look at the litttle black hose that is located at the bottom of your air cleaner housing.Do you see any oil in or around that area??And then,it's also possible that the shop didn't put quite enough oil back in after completing the 116 up grade.As a rule of thumb,when you do a rebuild,alittle oil consumption will take place.
Anyways,finish your oil change then ride it,paying attention to the oil level on the dip stick on the next day to see if it has dropped.
I thought the same thing about the shop maybe not putting enough oil after the BBK install, but today I drained the oil that I put in it in May. Both times only got about 4 qts out. Warrantee on the BBK is up in December.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don’t think using a little oil between services is anything unusual for most engines . Even 1.5 quart is not unusual especially if your running full synthetic. It seems every engine I run full synthetic in tends to use oil. This is exactly what I think about every time I read about someone advising to not check your oil. The idea that if it’s not leaking or smoking then it’s in there is totally false and it’s going to catch up with someone sooner or later. I personally wouldn’t worry about 1.5 quart consumption over 5k miles but I would be checking the oil every so often and topping it off.

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is just another reason why I will NOT use synthetic oil in anything I own.But,whada I know!!
I wish I could run conventional oil in my scout but the only option for the 15-60 that I know of is the full synthetic from Indian or amsoil. So far only 2.000 miles and no measurable oil consumption but I keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just did my 35,000 oil change an hour ago, and it used 16 oz. in 5,000 miles. It used 1 1/4 qt.s last time, ran Indian 20w/40 both times. This time I put in Rotella t6 15w/40 just to see what the difference is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just did my 35,000 oil change an hour ago, and it used 16 oz. in 5,000 miles. It used 1 1/4 qt.s last time, ran Indian 20w/40 both times. This time I put in Rotella t6 15w/40 just to see what the difference is.
Would like to know your results.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,917 Posts
I don’t think using a little oil between services is anything unusual for most engines . Even 1.5 quart is not unusual especially if your running full synthetic. It seems every engine I run full synthetic in tends to use oil. This is exactly what I think about every time I read about someone advising to not check your oil. The idea that if it’s not leaking or smoking then it’s in there is totally false and it’s going to catch up with someone sooner or later. I personally wouldn’t worry about 1.5 quart consumption over 5k miles but I would be checking the oil every so often and topping it off.
Not true at all. I run full synthetic, do my own oil changes and drain 5.5 qts out every 10k miles.

·
2,917 Posts
I thought the same thing about the shop maybe not putting enough oil after the BBK install, but today I drained the oil that I put in it in May. Both times only got about 4 qts out. Warrantee on the BBK is up in December.
I have found that the service manual procedure of running the engine up to 2500 rpm for one minute does NOT circulate enough oil. I always put in 4.5 qts, run down the street and through all 6 gears, then add another qt.

·
2,917 Posts
what part is untrue?
That properly tuned and maintained engines use oil. I don’t care if it’s liquid or air cooled, a properly maintained street engine will not ”use” oil.
My 2014 Chieftain has 82,000 miles on it. I started using Amsoil at about 15,000 miles. It does not use, burn, or consume any oil between changes. If it is using any, it’s not enough to measure.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That properly tuned and maintained engines use oil. I don’t care if it’s liquid or air cooled, a properly maintained street engine will not ”use” oil.
My 2014 Chieftain has 82,000 miles on it. I started using Amsoil at about 15,000 miles. It does not use, burn, or consume any oil between changes. If it is using any, it’s not enough to measure.
We will just need to agree to disagree on this one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have found that the service manual procedure of running the engine up to 2500 rpm for one minute does NOT circulate enough oil. I always put in 4.5 qts, run down the street and through all 6 gears, then add another qt.
My manual says to run it for three minutes up to 2500 RPM before dumping in the last quart. Do the manuals for some of our bikes say to run for one?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts