Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from our European motorcycle there're always places to buy exciting accessories (performance, carbon and bling) for bikes. Since cruisers are new to me as is my scout are there any places like that to buy accessories. Or people just go to the dealer?

The short list for me are new bars - black and beach, exhaust and a performance chip/re-flash. Longer list will be new shocks and possible fork and tires.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Never ever dealer. Never ever OEM unless they are the only ones making the specific part I covet (e.g. DP slipper dry clutch). I try to buy directly from the part manufacturer as much as I can. I try to work with small shops who'd build it just for me. That's rarely possible anymore, so Dime City, Lowbrow, Revzilla, Touratech, AltRider have all been good for the bikes we ride.

Bigwaves, you and I see eye to eye. So I've done the research for you (us):

- For bars, there is only one great supplier IMO - Flanders. Nuf said.
- Exhaust - wait a bit. If you can't, de-cat your stocks.
- Chip/Reflash - wait until you find the exhaust you want. PC just came out with a kit, so if you can't wait, only game in town.
- Shocks - short list - Ohlins, Wilburs, Progressives. Do you want/need piggyback? Whats your budget?
- Forks - Keeping the look, probably a kit from Hyperpro or Race Tech. For adjustibility, have not researched it yet. I am actually thinking hard about springer forks from Paughcho or others, but not yet.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For bars, there is only one great supplier IMO - Flanders. Nuf said.
- Chip/Reflash - wait until you find the exhaust you want. PC just came out with a kit, so if you can't wait, only game in town.
- Shocks - short list - Ohlins, Wilburs, Progressives. Do you want/need piggyback? Whats your budget?
- Forks - Keeping the look, probably a kit from Hyperpro or Race Tech. For adjustibility, have not researched it yet. I am actually thinking hard about springer forks from Paughcho or others, but not yet.
Awesome - that's exactly what is was looking for. Thanks, M !!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think when items start being produced for the Scott you will find generic items at Dennis Kirk and J&PCycles.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Never ever dealer. Never ever OEM unless they are the only ones making the specific part I covet (e.g. DP slipper dry clutch). I try to buy directly from the part manufacturer as much as I can. I try to work with small shops who'd build it just for me. That's rarely possible anymore, so Dime City, Lowbrow, Revzilla, Touratech, AltRider have all been good for the bikes we ride.

Meg's, you are ahead of the curve. But don't knock the OEM parts. They are put through stringent testing and are factory specific for their products. I have always used the original parts whenever I'm making repairs because they fit right and customers expect me to use them.
Generic parts an

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OEM are nice if you want to look like everyone else. I tend to start with small changes and then go big. Then sell the bike to fund the next project. This is my first venture into US bikes. Normal Italian and BMWs are my canvas. Not sure i'll ever sell my BMW GT.

·
6,027 Posts
I have always used the original parts whenever I'm making repairs because they fit right and customers expect me to use them.
Excellent point. For most repair work, I go OEM. We track replacement parts for a couple of our bikes on fleaBay and have a few shelves 'spares.' NOS Ducati tank anyone? And for prone-to-failure repair parts we buy new OEM.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Over the years, EBay has been my friend for "projects". I'm fortunate to work at a dealership and have a family member a Parts-Unlimited/Drag Specialties dealership. Dealerships generally have a better return policy. EBay is basically you bought it/you own it. Many reputable online retailers (DK, Motorcycle-Superstore, Revzilla, etc). Many dealers will discount prices to stay competitive with internet pricing.
Next project: suspension

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Please keep us posted on your ultimate decision on shocks.
Will do. One of the first things I'll do when I bring the bike home is remove a shock to measure eyelet/eyelet length. If possible, I'll get a shock probably .5" longer. Also, I'll likely go the cheaper but better route, using either a Progressive 444 or 430. For the front? For a cruiser, I'm more of a fan of progressive wound springs (Progressive) over straight wound springs (Race Tech). I'll likely start by just adding a washer/two to each fork leg to firm it up a bit. Might be awhile before Progressive or Race Tech has a Scout kit.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Meggie where will you put the pc5 I've looked at my bike and can't see a place where it would fit?

·
6,027 Posts
Short answer, no effing clue. However, if I go to a smaller Lithium battery, might be able to put it next to it. I think PC has some suggestions, too, have not pored over the instruction. No plans to do it until I find a slip-on I like, so someone else here will probably figure it out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Short answer, no effing clue. However, if I go to a smaller Lithium battery, might be able to put it next to it. I think PC has some suggestions, too, have not pored over the instruction. No plans to do it until I find a slip-on I like, so someone else here will probably figure it out.
I thought you knew something I didn't I am looking at using an antigravity battery 4.25" x 2.25" x 4.5"
Thanks anyway

·
6,027 Posts
I thought you knew something I didn't I am looking at using an antigravity battery 4.25" x 2.25" x 4.5"
Thanks anyway
Sorry, haven't tried it yet. We got a Shorai LFX14L2 in another bike, and at some point I'll test it. That one measures 445X230X350.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will do. One of the first things I'll do when I bring the bike home is remove a shock to measure eyelet/eyelet length. If possible, I'll get a shock probably .5" longer. Also, I'll likely go the cheaper but better route, using either a Progressive 444 or 430. For the front? For a cruiser, I'm more of a fan of progressive wound springs (Progressive) over straight wound springs (Race Tech). I'll likely start by just adding a washer/two to each fork leg to firm it up a bit. Might be awhile before Progressive or Race Tech has a Scout kit.
Please keep us posted on the shocks. I like this direction for the scout.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any updates on people changing the Scout shocks? I hate being an early adopter on this bike. Already have shelves of motorcycle parts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts