Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm no manufacturing guru. Spent most of my adult working life in uniform, as a matter of fact, so I can't claim any expertise in the world of manufacturing and distribution. Not being one to let lack of experience stand in the way of a good rant, there is something I just have to get off my chest.

Why is it so hard for a company the size of Polaris to get parts and accessories out to their market in a timely fashion? Every discussion I read on this issue talks about the interminable delays in receiving,even the simplest stuff -- backs, windshields, back rests, even floorboards, for crimes sakes! It's like they make these fantastic bikes, and then are shocked -- shocked! -- that the new owners want to personalize them. The desire of a bike owner to find a way to make it their own personal statement is almost as predictable as a December swoon by the Cowboys. One would think (apparently erroneously) that a company with the advantage of having the machine ahead of everyone else would take the opportunity to put together even a modest stockpile of the more commonly requested items to offer at exorbitant prices when the new model is released. Instead, we get this repetitive promise of stuff coming, but who" really knows when? In the interim, all these smaller, hungry, nimble custom shops get a wide open chance to put together some great stuff and beat the big company at their own game. I am sure the profit margin on the extras has to be substantial - why in the heck to they let it go by like that? Just makes no sense to me.

Maybe when I retire from Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, PI will hire me to to a swing at this embarrassment. It's hard to see how I'd do any worse than the current team

·
Registered
354 Posts
You are spot on with your commentary John. I'm looking for a new job, and if I had the smarts and $$ I would start manufacturing accessories myself.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
So true, all you Scout to be riders are like waiting on Santa to deliver your present.

It does make us more ingenious at making items for our bikes, or visiting E-Bay to find that unusual item we have to have on our bikes. I think in time they will catch up with demand! Until then there is always Kuryakyn

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Ok, I'm no manufacturing guru. Spent most of my adult working life in uniform, as a matter of fact, so I can't claim any expertise in the world of manufacturing and distribution. Not being one to let lack of experience stand in the way of a good rant, there is something I just have to get off my chest.

Why is it so hard for a company the size of Polaris to get parts and accessories out to their market in a timely fashion? Every discussion I read on this issue talks about the interminable delays in receiving,even the simplest stuff -- backs, windshields, back rests, even floorboards, for crimes sakes! It's like they make these fantastic bikes, and then are shocked -- shocked! -- that the new owners want to personalize them. The desire of a bike owner to find a way to make it their own personal statement is almost as predictable as a December swoon by the Cowboys. One would think (apparently erroneously) that a company with the advantage of having the machine ahead of everyone else would take the opportunity to put together even a modest stockpile of the more commonly requested items to offer at exorbitant prices when the new model is released. Instead, we get this repetitive promise of stuff coming, but who" really knows when? In the interim, all these smaller, hungry, nimble custom shops get a wide open chance to put together some great stuff and beat the big company at their own game. I am sure the profit margin on the extras has to be substantial - why in the heck to they let it go by like that? Just makes no sense to me.

Maybe when I retire from Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, PI will hire me to to a swing at this embarrassment. It's hard to see how I'd do any worse than the current team
It is the old supply and demand game!

·
Registered
610 Posts

You need to actually go to a Dealer and see the accessories they have, instead of believing what you read on the Internet. I have purchased 10 different accessories from Indian for my 2014 Vintage over the past year and they either had them in stock or were able to get them within a week. And as for the illusive sissybar luggage rack, I saw 7 of them on the shelf at my Dealer today. Now 6 months ago, yes, availability for a few items was a problem. Now you can pretty much walk in a buy what you want.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The bike is foreplay. I would say this to you, it has gotten better since I took delivery in August. It took 3 months to get bike cover. I think many dealers use what they have for new bike purchases. For instance, I am waiting for A/C to come in but I have seen new bikes waiting to be delivered with the new A/C installed. They just don't have enough yet.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've been waiting 2 weeks for a voltage regulator. Waited 4 months for new Indian A/C. Have had a spanner wrench for adjusting the rear shock ordered for 6 months (I don't think I'll ever get that one!). I don't know what the problem is, but it damn sure needs to be fixed...

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
As Dwarf indicated, supply and demand. However, as Barney stated, I can find the parts on-line and in stock that my dealer is telling me will be a few months to get.

It's been proven that some dealers have quite the inventory while other dealers are ordering as they get customer orders.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
I've been waiting 2 weeks for a voltage regulator. Waited 4 months for new Indian A/C. Have had a spanner wrench for adjusting the rear shock ordered for 6 months (I don't think I'll ever get that one!). I don't know what the problem is, but it damn sure needs to be fixed...
As far as I know, any spanner wrench will work. There wouldn't be anything special about an Indian brand wrench. Except maybe the price.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've been lucky too. The only thing I've had to order was a shop shirt. They had just sold the last of my size to the person right ahead of me. Other than, I got everything off the shelf. And I have a lot of schtuff....

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I talked to the dealer today, he said parts will start shipping Dec 26th and should be here by the 1st of the year.

I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've been lucky too. The only thing I've had to order was a shop shirt. They had just sold the last of my size to the person right ahead of me. Other than, I got everything off the shelf. And I have a lot of schtuff....
The Indian spanners for the shock ajustment are a different shape so that it can fit into the space to adjust the shock preload, a C spanner will not fit into the space, my dealer has lent me the spanners at the shop to adjust my shock while their, I cannot justify the cost of the Indian spanners as they would only be used a couple of times, I am still waiting on a Indian stage1 A/C to come in, was due the 22nd of last month, I have paid for it, I think it must be coming with the first shipment of customer Scouts due in Australia, the Sydney dealer has a Scout on display in the showroom, they are not allowed ride or start it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone installed a speaker system on the chief vintage. J&M Self Amplified Handlebar Mounted Speakers With Built-in Amps Driven. If so how is it done please

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Indian spanners for the shock ajustment are a different shape so that it can fit into the space to adjust the shock preload, a C spanner will not fit into the space, my dealer has lent me the spanners at the shop to adjust my shock while their, I cannot justify the cost of the Indian spanners as they would only be used a couple of times, I am still waiting on a Indian stage1 A/C to come in, was due the 22nd of last month, I have paid for it, I think it must be coming with the first shipment of customer Scouts due in Australia, the Sydney dealer has a Scout on display in the showroom, they are not allowed ride or start it.
I just left my dealership. Went for lunch to take advantage of triple points. Sure enough, there is still an A/C sitting all pretty on the shelf ;-) Stage 1 exhausts and CFRs too. And, Scouts arrived yesterday as well as the Slingshot. Got pics of both.

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
I ordered some accessories for 'ol #37 from Lone Star Indian last Saturday, just got an email from them stating my parts are in!!

·
Founding Member
673 Posts
Bought Vintage in August. Took 7 weeks to get luggage rack, STILL waiting on passenger floorboards(3 1/2 months). It seems they're all going on Roadmasters, what a crock!

·
3,414 Posts
Got a call from the dealer this morning. My RM drivers backrest is still not in. He stated Polaris says that will be in yet this month. Funny, that is what they stated last month. How about Polaris giving discounts for all these backordered items?! Dean E

·
3,414 Posts
Bought Vintage in August. Took 7 weeks to get luggage rack, STILL waiting on passenger floorboards(3 1/2 months). It seems they're all going on Roadmasters, what a crock!
They look really good on the RM. Sorry. Dean E

·
Founding Member
673 Posts
Yeah Dean, I've seen them, they do look good. I got the adjustable mounts with my luggage rack, but they do my wife little good without the floorboards themselves. Don't really need them until spring now, but will raise hell with customer service if not in hand by groundhog day. Dealer apologetic?, have been pleased with them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts