Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I take the bike out today to make final adjustments to the spoiler. I'm very happy with the result. Tested it on slow and fast roads. So, I take one final trip a few miles down the highway. It's busy, but I overtake some fast-moving traffic and go back into the nearside lane, going about 70mph. Suddenly, the bike feels as though it's slowing a bit - as though it's either overheating or running out of fuel (although I know it's nowhere near empty). I roll off the power and start to slow down. Then the back starts swinging from left to right. I keep it shiny side up for as long as possible. You know what happened next. Thankfully, the car behind stops, blocking the lane, and three guys make sure I'm OK, and then help me fetch the bike, which is lying in the middle of lane. Amazingly, there's surprisingly little damage (although it won't be cheap), and I'm bruised but OK. Aramid with knee and hip protectors is more effective than I'd dared hope. At first, the bike won't restart (although it turns over fine), but I try again after 20 minutes and it does start, so I'm able to ride home.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow, so I can book it in for whatever's needed. But, the question in my mind is what happened? The guy in the car behind said it looked as though I'd had a puncture, which I hadn't, but we could see a line of rubber on the road, so it seems my rear wheel stopped turning.

Did the engine stop and in the heat of the moment did I forget to pull in the clutch? Hard for me to believe but possible. If it stopped, did it seize? But the temperature reading seemed normal, and although it didn't start right away, it did turn over. And the engine ran fine when I finally got it started - no smoke or odd noises. If it didn't seize, did the engine stop due to an ignition or fuel fault? Perhaps - recently, it had been reluctant to start a couple of times when up to temperature - in fact, very reluctant just before I started that final ride home. If I did remember to pull in the clutch, then I'm wondering about a seizure of the bearing or the brakes. But the brakes seemed fine when I rode home.

So, I'm puzzled, bruised, and embarrassed. And hope that the puzzle will be solved, because it's unnerving when the rear wheel stops going round on a very crowded, fast-moving highway, and I really don't want that to happen again!

On the plus side, I'd been wondering how I could justify a new helmet; I did like the gloves, though...

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,240 Posts
Glad you are ok. Sounds very strange indeed.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Could you shift through all the gears on the way home with no issues? Clutch seem to work ok?

Nice that people blocked the road and helped you. That wouldn't happen everywhere.

Glad you're ok.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could you shift through all the gears on the way home with no issues? Clutch seem to work ok?

Nice that people blocked the road and helped you. That wouldn't happen everywhere.

Glad you're ok.
Thanks for your input.

Yes, I'm grateful to those who stopped. One chap followed me all the way home to make sure I arrived safely. It turned out that he's a young naval officer - reminded me of our son, who's in the air force; 'top-drawer' blokes.

The gears seemed OK. I think I used every gear in the box on the way home. I briefly took it to 60mph, but not for long, in case the wheel locked up again.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to hear you're safe!
Thank you; I'm sitting here with an ice pack on my knee - hoping the swelling doesn't get too bad, but grateful for the protection of the knee pads (and hip protectors) I was wearing under my jeans. I don't always wear them. It could have been a lot worse

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Could you have by chance hit the kill switch? The things that could lock up the back wheel would be gearbox, brakes, and a stopped engine that's still in gear, barring some kind of foreign object getting jammed somewhere.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could you have by chance hit the kill switch? The things that could lock up the back wheel would be gearbox, brakes, and a stopped engine that's still in gear, barring some kind of foreign object getting jammed somewhere.
I didn't have to switch the kill switch back on, so, no, I didn't hit that.

I agree that, barring a foreign object (and there's no wheel damage to suggest that), the options seem to be: gearbox, brakes, or stopped engine. I'd be surprised if I didn't pull in the clutch, but it's got to be possible. If I did fail to do so, then I'm thinking sudden but temporary loss of fuel or spark. If I did pull in the clutch lever, than I suppose that would leave the possibility of the gearbox, the brakes (ABS?), or maybe a problem with the final drive.

·
Bronze member
2,921 Posts
Glad your OK , that is a strange one
Let us know what your dealer fines when they plug it in. Could it be a problem with the spoiler

·
Registered
120 Posts
I doubt abs would lock up the wheel.. it takes pressure away not gives. But I've been wrong many times.
Also if the engine quit, I don't think the rear would lock up. I've had many a bike quit on me and only at 5 mph or less will it lock the wheel.
I'd say for someone to ride 55 mph, hit the kill switch and try it but i'd get flamed!!! It's just that unless something was seized up in the engine or??
Glad you are ok. I'm voting for debris or a tool in the belt or!!!!!!?????

·
Administrator
20,584 Posts
Good grief, graham -- glad you're ok, brother!

The fact that it took a few seconds to lose power completely says to me its not a total seizeup of the bearing or tranny -- that would have been an abrupt rear wheel lockup and you wouldn't have been able to ride it home. I'm sure the service guys will check it, but mayhaps your drive belt picked up a piece of debris (tree branch etc) that jammed up in there and subsequently released when it wore down or you stopped.

The other thought that occurred to me is the momentary interruption of the electricals or fuel supply. The failure to promptly restart would be consistent with interruption of fuel. A big bubble in the fuel line would do that. The dealer probly wouldn't find anything since once the bubble worked out it'd run fine. Spraying a soapy mist from a squeeze bottle down the fuel line would show any leaks that might lead to such a bubble.

????

·
Rider
881 Posts
My guess would be debris from what you describe. Glad you're OK! Please keep us posted.

I'd expect an ABS system to fail safe - with a warning light on, and functioning but non-ABS braking available.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad your OK , that is a strange one
Let us know what your dealer fines when they plug it in. Could it be a problem with the spoiler
Good question as that's the last thing I adjusted, but I really don't think the spoiler could have this effect.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts