Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Chieftain has now been at the dealer for over a month getting rewired. I understand why its taken so long, but not being able to ride is absolutely killing me. The weather for the last two weeks has been gorgeous and I just want to get out and hit the road.

Hopefully I'l be back on the road in the next week or so. The Service Manager told me a week ago the bike was on its way back together.

·
Registered
713 Posts
My Chieftain has now been at the dealer for over a month getting rewired. I understand why its taken so long, but not being able to ride is absolutely killing me. The weather for the last two weeks has been gorgeous and I just want to get out and hit the road.

Hopefully I'l be back on the road in the next week or so. The Service Manager told me a week ago the bike was on its way back together.
Did you push HARD for a loaner bike? A month is ridiculous.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Lol, I feel your pain. Mine has been in for minor stuff, but that still takes time. And had to ride my wife's Sporty on a 380 mile chapter run.....that was enough to convince me I needed a backup. Picked up a well used Softail on the cheap, for when the Indian is in the shop, to play with in the garage, and have a bit of a project. Wouldn't want to ride all day on her, but she's a lot of fun! With the used HD market so flooded, it's easy to find a strong running bike for not too much coin.

Attachments

·
Not for much longer
401 Posts
You sure didn't miss any good riding days this past weekend. At least until late Sunday afternoon.Weathers been crap since late Wednesday. But I hear you. It's tough knowing riding season is almost over. Hope your Chieftain is back on the road soon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol, I feel your pain. Mine has been in for minor stuff, but that still takes time. And had to ride my wife's Sporty on a 380 mile chapter run.....that was enough to convince me I needed a backup. Picked up a well used Softail, for when the I Dian is in the shop, to play with in the garage, and have a bit of a project. Wouldn't want to ride all day on her, but she's a lot of fun!
If only my wife would let me purchase another bike. I'd kill to have a well loved sporty 48, fat bob or street bob.

·
Registered
554 Posts
image.jpg
Her 1200C looks a lot like a 48, just with buckhorn bars and the 4.4 gallon tank-it has the big front tire. Much easier to ride than the skinny tire sporties. It's fun to ride too, and fast! Pretty sure her sportster can outrun both my Indian and Softail up to 80 or so. Was actually looking for a sportster to use as a donor for a handrail frame, when I found the Softail. Can never have too many bikes. Really wish Indian would come out with a big twin light frame bike, would grab one in a minute. But the Chief/Dark Horse are basically my Vintage, and heavier than I wanted to use as a barhopper.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You sure didn't miss any good riding days this past weekend. At least until late Sunday afternoon.Weathers been crap since late Wednesday. But I hear you. It's tough knowing riding season is almost over. Hope your Chieftain is back on the road soon.
It was quite nice yesterday afternon
View attachment 107009 Her 1200C looks a lot lime a 48, has the big front tire. Much easier to ride than the skinny tire sporties. It's fun to ride too, and fast! Pretty sure her sportster can outrun both my Indian and Softail up to 80 or so. Was actually looking for a sportster to use as a donor for a handrail frame, when I found the Softail. Can never have too many bikes. Really wish Indian would come out with a big twin light frame bike, would grab one in a minute. But the Chief/Dark Horse are basically my Vintage, and heavier than I wanted to use as a barhopper.
I agree my first bike was a 1200 nightster, with thunder headers, and a pwer commander. it was nimble and a blast to ride.
FullSizeRender.jpg

·
Registered
87 Posts
Boy I was very excited about a new Indian Scout, but after reading all the problems , I'm just not sure anymore. I've had two street bikes when I was younger, in 2007 I purchased a new Honda 500 atv and in 2014 I purchased the Honda pioneer 700 . Never had a single issue on any of them. The two street bikes were both yamahas. I'd love to buy American , but is it worth the risk. Maybe I'll just buy another gun.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have one bike up north (old Guzzi) and an Indian down south so technically I only have one bike at home. If I got another I think it would be an old toaster tank or another old Guzzi. If you haven't ridden a Guzzi I challenge you.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Happiness is........... 2+ bikes
Emphasis on the +!!

Strongly considering another, touring bike for "chaptering". Maybe an Ultra, or Road King, or as more used Indians show up and used prices drop a bit, a Chieftain.

For those not familiar, "chaptering" is a way to tour, without having to take multiple weeks off at once. You leave on a week, ride 5-6 days, park the bike in a storage unit with your gear, and fly home. Next vacation, fly out, grab your bike and hear, ride somewhere else another week, park it, and fly home. Repeat. A great way to ride all over the US/Canada, over a year or two. I have a lot of vacation but taking more than a week at once is tough. This would be a cool way to plan ahead, pre-position, and ride the US. Someday.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm retired , so time to travel isn't a issue. Buying a bike that you can have confidence in, is the issue I'm facing. No dealers within a hundred miles of my home.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
I feel you agony. My riding season in South Florida is much longer, 365 days a year, but when I'm not riding I pop my head out in the garage quite often just to look at her. Hopefully you will have her back soon. Don't push them too hard because you want it done right without having any glitches.

·
Founding Member
704 Posts
I would go the dealer and find a bike in their lot with a key(or fob) and start it up, put it in gear and start to move like you were going to leave the lot. "Hey what are you doing?!"
My reply would be "I'll bring this one back when mine is fixed."...... See what happens.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would go the dealer and find a bike in their lot with a key(or fob) and start it up, put it in gear and start to move like you were going to leave the lot. "Hey what are you doing?!"
My reply would be "I'll bring this one back when mine is fixed."...... See what happens.
I like that idea... I'll try anything twice.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Good plan! If you're bikes in the shop, and you can't ride anyway, might as well spend that time in the pokey, with 3 free meals a day. Save money that way!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
A month for any repair is not acceptable. This would be the 1 issue I have with Indian and may very well be the reason my next bike wont be Indian. So far I haven't had any problems with my '16 Dark Horse luckily. I'm not a trained professional motorcycle mechanic, but i'll bet I could rewire a bike in 2 days if need be. A month +???? Ridiculous!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone have ideas how to hurry this along? Im still waiting for my bike to get fixed. Dealer keeps telling me they are waiting on parts. Probably still looking at least another week before it will be ready.

IMG_2392.PNG

This wait is strongly making me reconsider my purchase of an Indian. I never had issues like this with my HD.

·
Rider
625 Posts
Look up the lemon laws in your state. Call your states attorney office. I had an F150 that had serious suspension issues.... they had it the shop for 38 days... I told them I was gonna use the lemon law and CC'd the general manger on an email to the states attorney office. They bought an aftermarket suspension and had my truck repaired within the week and put the aftermarket suspension under factory warranty

1 - 20 of 64 Posts