Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 18 Chieftain Ltd in summer of 19. Bike was prolly at dealer since summer of 18 and I’m sure the stock tires were manufactured in 17. So I’m riding on 2 maybe three year old tires. I only have about 3k on them as of now. . But was wondering if I have to replace on mileage or because they are 3 years old. Don’t ride high mileage a year. So when do you guys recommend me getting new tires? Should I ride them till about 7-10k or will they be to old and about 5 years by then. Thanks in advance.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I don’t think there would be anything bad about five year old tires, you would just want to keep watch of the sidewalls for cracking.
And of course the tread area for unusual wear and damage.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Unless the tires have cracks in em,whether it be in the tread or on the side walls,the tread wears down to 2/32,the tire develops flat spots from setting,or ya have a bubble in it,[usually a broken belt] the tire should still be good to go.And this applies to all tires,car,bike,truck,trailer,whatever!!!

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
3years is about my limit before I notice them getting hard and slick.
Bike tires are much soft than others for better traction but this also means they don't have the same longevity in wear, or time as the rest.
Personally, I'd replace them. Sure yours still appear "good" but they are going to be more slippy, especially when wet. They will break away with less control or warning than fresh, and will be less compliant of a ride than a fresh compound.
If you were to get new of the same tire, you would feel a difference in compliance and traction.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
3years is about my limit before I notice them getting hard and slick.
Bike tires are much soft than others for better traction but this also means they don't have the same longevity in wear, or time as the rest.
Personally, I'd replace them. Sure yours still appear "good" but they are going to be more slippy, especially when wet. They will break away with less control or warning than fresh, and will be less compliant of a ride than a fresh compound.
If you were to get new of the same tire, you would feel a difference in compliance and traction.

This is true of all tires made , :rolleyes: no matter WHO manufactured em,or WHERE they were manufactured!!However,different tread designs is what makes the difference.But all tires still have to be made to a DOT spec.And then,according to how they wear,road hazzards,and or,how the operator drives/rides/uses the vehicle,they'll need replacing at some point in time! (y)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,226 Posts
That and tread wear. If you can stick a penny into the grooves of the tread and see all of Lincoln's face your tires are worn out. A old school way of telling.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I wouldn’t sweat those tires unless they hit 5 yrs or beyond. Check the date on the side wall it will tell you exactly how old they are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts