Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The starter had been going downhill for a while. Started failing at 2500 miles as a very intermittent issue; cold and moisture in the air made it worse. Not the fuel rail, not the battery, not the rectifier or any wiring connections or ground issues - just a bad starter that continued to build resistance until it was drawing over 22 amps. It was on a first run scout. It finally failed 3/20/17 at aprox 3300 miles and of course I was at the FIRST EVER Indian Motorcycle PowWow in Chiefland Florida following Daytona Bike Week; at least I was with a bunch of great people who helped me roll my scout back on the trailer. I'm headed to the dealership today and hoping the mothership Polaris Indian takes care of this warranty issue straight away. I'll keep you posted - I took some videos of the testing and failure sequence but the files are too large to post here - maybe i'll figure out how to create a you tube video.
IMG_1119.JPG

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Sure Hope you get this sorted out Rudy .. Hated seeing you have to leave early but Glad we got to meet and got to check out that Fine Looking Ride of Yours .. We will get together again ..

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
if still under warranty they will replace free!! at least they did mine. Scout starter is a very well known problem!
Trouble is are they replacing it with another very well known problem? Just another starter off the shelf??
Alpal

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
There are after market starters available if you run into snags or are still on a hold, as last u heard they were.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
The starter had been going downhill for a while. Started failing at 2500 miles as a very intermittent issue; cold and moisture in the air made it worse. Not the fuel rail, not the battery, not the rectifier or any wiring connections or ground issues - just a bad starter that continued to build resistance until it was drawing over 22 amps. It was on a first run scout. It finally failed 3/20/17 at aprox 3300 miles and of course I was at the FIRST EVER Indian Motorcycle PowWow in Chiefland Florida following Daytona Bike Week; at least I was with a bunch of great people who helped me roll my scout back on the trailer. I'm headed to the dealership today and hoping the mothership Polaris Indian takes care of this warranty issue straight away. I'll keep you posted - I took some videos of the testing and failure sequence but the files are too large to post here - maybe i'll figure out how to create a you tube video. View attachment 209585
I'm not surprised... yours had a familiar sound to it. Yours died at 3300... mine at 3420. You had the other side of the coin... yours is pulling too much amperage... mine wasn't pulling enough...

BTW, I hope your dealer has one... they're on supply chain delay again. Ask your dealer to get one from another dealer if they don't have one...

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Trouble is are they replacing it with another very well known problem? Just another starter off the shelf??
Alpal
They have pulled all the old starters off the shelf and remade new ones and issued a new part number for them.
I was informed on 3/22/2017 that Indian / Polaris has a total remake starter that will hit the streets around 4/20/17 and be available for our Scouts thereafter. Be patient. @AZmitch @Hatt

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Dude, have you seen they're building codes there... no you haven't they have none. Have you seen they way they drive there? India is like China... lots of garages making things, not big companies with QC. I have nothing against India, but let's face it, there are no aerospace manufacturing there...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just had my starter replaced under warranty.........had to wait for months to get it. They have had the new starter for a few weeks and finally had the opportunity to get it to the dealership. Took it in last Friday, would not start at all, battery was dead which was odd as I keep it on a tender, had to be towed to the dealership. With that, got a new battery under warranty. Began having problems around the 3000 mile mark. When I first took it in to the dealership to address the starting problems, they replaced the fuel pump due to low fuel pressure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dude, have you seen they're building codes there... no you haven't they have none. Have you seen they way they drive there? India is like China... lots of garages making things, not big companies with QC. I have nothing against India, but let's face it, there are no aerospace manufacturing there...
"Their" and "is no"

But there is aerospace manufacturing in India. It's even growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 106 Posts