Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Is there a point when Loud is just Obnoxious?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe but I haven't heard it yet...

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Founding member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday I had the pleasure of seeing a very nice Black Roadmaster at a stop in Salina KS. I was admiring the scoot and hoping to possibly catch up to him to compliment his bike...

The the light turned green and I heard him hit the throttle. Damn that beast was LOUD. Looked like Stage 1 exhaust, but I couldn't tell. If it was, it had to be completely gutted because this was loud, loud, loud... Not great sounding loud either, just loud. Still hoping we'd catch up at a light or I'd see where he went and stop to say hi to a fellow Indian rider.

Then he started the darting through traffic switching lanes with handfuls of acceleration on each move and lots of noise.... No way was I going to catch him, as I was in my cage, but could hear him for a while as he went on his way.

So Sunday I'm on the scoot in Salina and there he is again going the opposite direction doing the same thing. I turned around to see if I could track him down but no luck...

I'll catch him one day and find out what the heck is going on with that bike. Too each there own, but not sure he knows just how LOUD his bike is...

·
Rider
362 Posts
I sold my Tabb Zombies because they were a bit too much for my CURRENT taste. 2 years ago it’s exactly what I wanted. Now I’m good with the V&H downturns.

·
Founding member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure he knows.
Not so sure about that. We had a new Brother show up for a group ride once and his bike was wicked loud. At the first stop several Brothers riding behind him were not happy and he was placed at the back of the pack. Next time he showed up he had the baffles in, he apologized and seemed to honestly not realize just how loud his VTX 1800 was without them.

My point is, some don't realize it because they can't hear them under acceleration... If I catch this guy, and I will, He'll at least be told how loud he is. If he is good with it, that's fine, but I'll definitely let him know.

There is a huge difference between performance loud and just loud... My opinion of course.

·
Silver member
3,157 Posts
Although "loud pipes" on bikes has been about beat to death on this site a few times, I agree, too loud is just that, too loud and mostly obnoxious. Butt to each their own.

·
Bronze Member
2,015 Posts
Here is loud, we went to see the Doobie Brothers in 1977, and who opened for them but AC/DC,they were loud and terrible. The Doobie Brothers were
outstanding but loud in a good way.

·
Founding member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@WillyH I did pause before starting this thread because I agree loud pipes have been beat to death on here... Also because he was way bigger than me and if he is on here and reads my post he may not take it in the way it is intended... :) Obviously I created the post anyway, because sometimes the horse shutters and needs a bit more kicking. Lol

@Masta Kink two great bands!

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Not so sure about that. We had a new Brother show up for a group ride once and his bike was wicked loud. At the first stop several Brothers riding behind him were not happy and he was placed at the back of the pack. Next time he should up he had the baffles in, he apologized and seemed to honestly not realize just how loud his VTX 1800 was without them.

My point is, some don't realize it because they can't hear them under acceleration... If I catch this guy, and I will, He'll at least be told how loud he is. If he is good with it, that's fine, but I'll definitely let him know.

There is a huge difference between performance loud and just loud... My opinion of course.
And VTX's sound like big lawnmowers anyway........

·
Silver member
3,456 Posts
I have V&H slip ons on my Scout. Some days I think the sound is perfect; however, when coming home late at night I can tell its a little to loud.

My Chieftain however has the factory exhaust; and to be honest, I'm pretty happy with it; I think it sounds great right from the factory so I have no intentions of changing it.

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
Loud pipes definitely suck in large pack rides. We had a few guys back in the day with Vance and Hines long shots. Man, I hated riding behind those guys. It was ear busting loud. Made my Thunderheader seem like a pussy cat.

Now days I prefer a nice loud, low throaty rumble at idle, but not one that is obnoxious on hard acceleration so I am happy with my stage one Indian pipes. I do like the sound of the rhineharts though. IMHO, a better low rumble than mine.

And I really would like to hear a 2 into 1 D&D exhaust up close and personal...

·
Founding member / distinguished
4,984 Posts
And VTX's sound like big lawnmowers anyway........
That's true!

I had a 2003 VTX1800R some years back. It had stock mufflers and sounded ok, but man, they sound like crap with open exhaust.

They're not nearly the worst though, that honor goes to any loud-piped Yamaha 650 V-Star. Listening to one of those damn things straining it's guts out with that high-pitched, sharp, ice-pick-through-the-head racket they make when throttled up, which is anytime an attempt is made to make forward progress with that pathetic little underpowered excuse of an engine, can drive one to thoughts of homicide.

·
Rider
677 Posts
I never understood loud just for the sake of being loud.
Yup Bobby,, there’s loud and there’s sounds good. Lots of loud Harley’s, haven’t heard to many loud Indian’s. Here’s one,, “ have you ever heard 50 , 60 HA ROAR DOWN THE FREEWAY “ that’s over the top loud, and it also sounds good. For me,, I like sounds good, my scout with rineharts is a perfect V twin sound for me.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yes, but it's subjective.

I have Biltwell shorts on mine and it's as loud as I would want it. I know for sure, from the context of conversations on here, there are those on this forum that would probably put mine in the category of obnoxious. The fact that I agree there is a point where it becomes obnoxious while also contending my bike isn't one of them proves my point. You say his bike was too loud, but I bet he thinks it's just right.

·
Founding member
719 Posts
Loud pipes definitely suck in large pack rides. We had a few guys back in the day with Vance and Hines long shots. Man, I hated riding behind those guys. It was ear busting loud. Made my Thunderheader seem like a pussy cat.
I guess I was one of those guys as I had the vance and hines long shots on my 2000 Gilroy Chief, everyone loved them as did I. Of course I had the baffles in, but when you hit the gas it barked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts