Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Over the labor day weekend I made a trip to Ohio to pick up a car. During my travels of 16 hours, one way, I saw a lot of bikes on the road and there were a few that were going well over the speed limit but within reason. Now this is a bit
much.

·
Rider
879 Posts
I hit 164 on an Aprilia on my way into work one morning in Garden Grove, Ca.

Freeway was clear of any traffic. Was a weird empty spot so I took advantage and pinned it for nearly 2 miles then shut'er down when I was nearing the cagers ahead. It was only when I got to my work I looked up the top speed on the bike and saw what I hit. Happened so quick!

·
Rider
936 Posts
I've been riding in a pack, triple digits, elbow to elbow. We have been passed by highway patrol and been given thumbs up everytime. Of course having Vet patches on helps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
can confirm as a cop...we don't chase (99% of the time) it's is a self correcting issue. I've had to work many accidents where there was bits of human stretched around 200ft but usually its decapitated limbs.
That seems like a good policy. Let the idiots kill themselves. They’re probably not going to be able to kill someone else with a bike.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
How fast is to fast. When you are no longer able to move forward without goo coming out your ears, nose and mouth. Are broken bones. Are simply not being able to maintain control.

·
Rider
1,097 Posts
When you can't hold on to the handlebars due to wind resistance..LOL

Reactions: Hangman

·
Founding member
662 Posts
Drove my buddies Hellcat, once. That thing scared the hell outa me. Swore I would never drive it again.

Reactions: HyeHog

·
Rider
432 Posts
Many years ago my best friend, a very talented semi pro rider, picked up a Suzuki GSR 1100X. At the time it was the fastest production motorcycle you could buy and of course he tricked it up a bunch. His happiest day was when he turned 40 and went from being the oldest guy in his group to the youngest, often taking it up to Willow's for some serious fun on the track. He once told me the best thing about his bike is that no-one ever asked to ride it. A few would get on and fire it up for a few seconds but they all shut it down and said no thanks to actually riding it.

At the time he was a high school teacher commuting from Vista in north San Diego County all the way up to Idlewild. Every once and while he would blow by a cop {most did not even try to catch him} and then had to drive his truck for a week or two as they were obviously watching for him.

He eventually switched {very successfully} to racing cars and I worried less about him after that. His current ride is an 84 Porsche that he went through {thoroughly} dropping a 375 HP Corvette engine in, it weighs just 2,700#. When he couldn't get California to smog it despite it running far cleaner that needed he went out and bought an identical, street legal 84 Porsche and would just switch the plates when he needed {wanted} to run on the street {now that is hard core}. :eek:o_O:cool:

Here's a shot from his garage, the race car in the front and his ghost twin the back:

He finally managed to get the race car smogged but still has both. Whenever he bitches that I have a nice bike {and he does't} I point out that he has two nice Porsche's in his garage and remind him to "Bite Me!"

·
Bronze Member
1,557 Posts
Hold the throttle open until you see grandma. Then you know that you're going too fast.

Seriously though, 140 mph is the fastest that I've ever gone on a bike. Scared the beJesus out of me. Since then the fastest I've ever gone on two wheels was 111 mph. That was in second gear on a Yamaha R1.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My agency has pretty strict chase policies. We can't chase a motorcycle at all unless it's a fleeing felon. Even for cars we have to meet certain criteria to chase. But just one county north of me they will chase for anything, including motorcycles. They have been known to "bump" fleeing bikes as well, causing accidents. Be careful where you decide to take off. Just not worth it.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts