Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but haven’t been able to find anything on this. I’ve got a 17 RM and my wheels finish is coming off and they’re beginning to pit. I store the bike in my shop on a rubber pad, it’s not near any chemicals or fuels or oils. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,691 Posts
I'm not sure what might have got your wheels to corrode. I have had salt & brine cause pitting of cast aluminum wheels in the past. I used rubbing compound to polish and remove the corroded outer layer. Lots of rubbing elbow grease is needed. When I got the rims shiny then I applied a good wax to them. I make certain now that it rains a few times before getting my bike out after winter is over.

·
Bronze member
1,382 Posts
Can anyone explain why the factory doesn’t clear coat bare aluminum wheels? Auto manufacturers coat them. Maybe Indian does and I can’t tell. From stains after cleaning I think not.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,691 Posts
Even if they don't out and out corrode, exposed aluminum will dull from oxidation. Polishing and waxing helps prevent that.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I did a search but haven’t been able to find anything on this. I’ve got a 17 RM and my wheels finish is coming off and they’re beginning to pit. I store the bike in my shop on a rubber pad, it’s not near any chemicals or fuels or oils. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem?
I am not sure how bad your wheels are but I jack my bike up once a month and use a ally cleaner then polish the wheel with a good quality polish followed by a wax. Might be a bit over kill but when I was the Road Master ,as you would Kon the wheels are a ***** to clean unless you jack there bike up. It might take a bit of polishing but if you get a good alloy cleaner like Solvol Autosol and a polishing week in the end of a drill that you can set the speed on low or mid way to help take the labour out of doing this it might help you. Make sure you don't use the polishing wheel and drill on too high of a speed or you will burn into the painted sections. I hope this helps in some way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same thing happen last year. I tried all kinds of wax and polish but it did not get rid of the pitted look. Someone either here or on Facebook suggested a polish called White Diamond. Stuff works great! I was only able to get one application but I did not notice the pitted look after this winter.
Google it, it's in a white bottle and costs about $15 dollars.

·
Bronze member
1,593 Posts
My chromed parts of my bike particularly the chrome parts directly in the wind are fading and pitting. I noticed that early within the first 6 months (Summer of 17). Waxed, chrome polished doesn't seem to matter. SoCal weather, garaged & covered bike. Indian needs better chrome.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Has anyone tried to submit a warranty claim for the pitted wheels?

·
Rider
586 Posts
One other thing just a blind shot but if you store any chemicals with chlorine like even storing pool chemicals and such in same area those chemicals will accelerate the corrosion.

·
Bronze member
1,382 Posts
One other thing just a blind shot but if you store any chemicals with chlorine like even storing pool chemicals and such in same area those chemicals will accelerate the corrosion.
And HD used to come back with exactly that when chrome pitting was claimed, or living near the coast.

·
Registered
934 Posts
All aluminum parts will corrode.
Harley, Victory, Indian and everyone else with cast or even $1500 "billet" rims will get corrosion eventually at some level.

The normal everyday road grime is corrosive and when that dust mizes with moisture from the air or condensation, a chemical reaction takes place.

Yes -- waxing is huge. Also an insane pain in the butt....or knuckles as you bust them up trying to get behind the brake discs.

Public busses used to suffer from terrible corrosion because they use so much aluminum.
They use a special acidic wash to clean them and reduce the corrosion.

Ordinary water, for example, will not wash off road salts well.

I make my own acidic wash in a pump sprayer (you CAN buy some online) using vinegar and water and a little simple green. It effectively neutralizes the acid from the roads and carries off the salt -- warm or hot water is much more effective.

I spray in the cracks of my fenders and my brake calipers, as well. Then a normal wash with a longer rinse.

My bikes all do well, and yes, I DO ride with salt on the road.

Life is short. I'm not gonna lay in a pine box while some other dude rides my pristine bike.

Ride it. If it looks ugly, get another.

·
Bronze member
1,943 Posts
I can attest to pool chemicals ruining metal. Long story, but I had pool chemicals stored in my garage right beside two HDs. Did thousands in damage. Even rusted stainless steel. Thank goodness for insurance. Do a search...chemicals ending in ”ine” don’t play well with metal.

·
Bronze member
1,382 Posts
Does anyone know why they do not clear coat the wheel like most autos? I know that clear coat creates a whole different set of issues with rim leaks.

·
Bronze member
1,943 Posts
Does anyone know why they do not clear coat the wheel like most autos? I know that clear coat creates a whole different set of issues with rim leaks.
I’d say it’s all about cost...bikes only have to look good on the showroom floor. Manufacturers don’t really care how big a PITA it is to maintain uncoated aluminum. Take a look at the edges of your cylinder fins on your front cylinder. I bet they are corroded if your bike is a couple of years old. This is why from here on out, it’s powder coated wheels for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts