Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just stopped into my dealer to check on status and inquire about the $400 cash back on accessories and came across an interesting tidbit. During the dealer ride in Vegas, a rider came back and checked in their bike and the tech said "you did 3 wheelies", naturally the rider denied any such action. Then the tech showed him the proof, the ECU had recorded each of the wheelies.

Now this may just be a normal part of testing to help determine how to program the throttle response, traction control, and wheelie mitigation. It will be interesting to see if it makes it into the production bike and what ramifications it would have for owners, i.e. warranty, insurance, & legal.

On a side note, the dealer did confirm that he had been told bikes would begin arriving mid-May as has been widely reported on this site.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,686 Posts
"Black Box" technology is showing up in our vehicles like it or not. These things will have an effect on traffic accident investigations, traffic courts, and of course our insurance premiums.

·
Bronze member
2,854 Posts
Just stopped into my dealer to check on status and inquire about the $400 cash back on accessories and came across an interesting tidbit. During the dealer ride in Vegas, a rider came back and checked in their bike and the tech said "you did 3 wheelies", naturally the rider denied any such action. Then the tech showed him the proof, the ECU had recorded each of the wheelies.

Now this may just be a normal part of testing to help determine how to program the throttle response, traction control, and wheelie mitigation. It will be interesting to see if it makes it into the production bike and what ramifications it would have for owners, i.e. warranty, insurance, & legal.

On a side note, the dealer did confirm that he had been told bikes would begin arriving mid-May as has been widely reported on this site.

Yep it will be on production bikes

·
Silver member
3,450 Posts
Its seems it getting to the point that companies will do anything to try and get out of paying warranty claims these days; assuming they would use this as a tactic to not cover something.
I wonder what that technology cost to develop.

·
Bronze member
2,854 Posts
Its seems it getting to the point that companies will do anything to try and get out of paying warranty claims these days; assuming they would use this as a tactic to not cover something.

That is the same tech that has been around for years its in our phones, its everywhere. These bikes are more likely to be abused due to the power and style of rider. So they don't want busted frames, etc when guys are out moto-crossing on these bikes.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts

I would bet this is already there. Toyota started this long ago to deflect warranty complaints where the owner was abusing the vehicle. Its used in crash investigations as well, like if someone claims the vehicle accelerated out of control or the brakes failed.
One of my Commercial trucks was experiencing an inordinate amount of repairs. I finally had the dealer check the computer. It was discovered the driver was basically driving it like a bat out of hell. Gas pedal to the floor everytime from a dead stop. Hard deceleration etc.....
Driver is no longer employed. Tried to draw unemployment. Denied.

·
Silver member
3,146 Posts
More "big brother". When I bought my new Silverado in 2016 it came with On Star. On Star sends me a report every month. There was a section of the report that reported on any jack rabbit starts and/or hard breaking. That's a bit scary. Smart phones suk too. Hell ya can't even rob a bank without your phone narking on you. I have a flip phone and I don't believe it will pin point my location when I pull off a bank job.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Not nearly as much as the claims from an operator pushing a vehicle beyond what it was designed for. Who pays for false claims in the end? We all do with increased sticker prices.
Buy a ladder lately? A good portion of the price you pay goes toward fighting frivolous lawsuits because some dumb ass either didn't follow safe practices or shouldn't have been on the ladder in the 1st place.
25 years ago, we had a large Paint store here called Brod Duggan. Probably 20 stores in the metro area. Had been in business for 75 years.
They were forced into bankruptcy by a litigant that bought a Warner ladder from them, which he fell off of and broke his back and was paralyzed.
Look at all the warning labels on a ladder today.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
More "big brother". When I bought my new Silverado in 2016 it came with On Star. On Star sends me a report every month. There was a section of the report that reported on any jack rabbit starts and/or hard breaking. That's a bit scary. Smart phones suk too. Hell ya can't even rob a bank without your phone narking on you. I have a flip phone and I don't believe it will pin point my location when I pull off a bank job.
Oh yes it will when it pings off the tower next door to the bank.

·
Rider
816 Posts
Operate/use most things within their design parameters and they shouldn’t give you problems.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
17lbtf.jpg

·
Bronze member
1,148 Posts
Ya know,,, as much as I love my Vintage, I still wish I had my Valkyrie! I "HATE", all these damn computer modules in everything. I also have a 57 Chevy that's been in my family since new. I go to a Cars & Coffee meet every month and I just love the fact that she's all mechanical while I'm driving down the road.

·
Silver member
3,450 Posts
That is the same tech that has been around for years its in our phones, its everywhere. These bikes are more likely to be abused due to the power and style of rider. So they don't want busted frames, etc when guys are out moto-crossing on these bikes.
I agree; some riders may do the extreme and take their bikes beyond the capabilities; but if I.M. is monitoring the amount of wheelies a rider does; would they now use that to there advantage during warranty claims.

I guess my point is; if they don't want riders doing wheelies and their going to start monitoring for that type of stuff; maybe they shouldn't put riders doing wheelies in their own advertising. I know I saw in one of Indians ads recently for the chieftain where the rider did a short wheelie off the line but can't find that add at the moment.
The other add that comes to mind is of the FTR.

FTR Wheelies at around the 1:14 mark

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
I agree; some riders may do the extreme and take their bikes beyond the capabilities; but if I.M. is monitoring the amount of wheelies a rider does; would they now use that to there advantage during warranty claims.

I guess my point is; if they don't want riders doing wheelies and their going to start monitoring for that type of stuff; maybe they shouldn't put riders doing wheelies in their own advertising. I know I saw in one of Indians ads recently for the chieftain where the rider did a short wheelie off the line but can't find that add at the moment.
The other add that comes to mind is of the FTR.

FTR Wheelies at around the 1:14 mark

But there is always a disclaimer "Do not attempt, Professional Driver on a closed course. Always wear a helmet and be sure to keep in touch with mommy. Lol.

In answer to your question. All corporations will do all they can to mitigate warranties and potential lawsuits. We live in a very litigious society. Everyone is sue crazy. Shooting for the easy buck.

·
Silver member
3,450 Posts
Put there is always a disclaimer "Do not attempt, Professional Driver on a closed course. Always wear a helmet and be sure to keep in touch with mommy. Lol.

In answer to your question. All corporations will do all they can to mitigate warranties and potential lawsuits. We live in a very litigious society. Everyone is sue crazy. Shooting for the easy buck.
Totally Agree

·
Registered
51 Posts
Who cares! I hope they put a damn burnout counter on it as well! I’m gonna wear both of them out. How about a both wheels off the ground at the same time counter! This bike is meant to be driven like you stole it. I can’t wait.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts