Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: CavemanHHH

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to use it in my garage, but yes you can use it in a trailer also.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Something to keep in mind anyway .. Thanks for Sharing ..

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
I have a Baxley LA chock. It's adjustable, so you are not limited to any one size of front wheel. I use it in the shop, trailer, sometImes on the lift. Had it for about 8 or 9 years, completely maintenance free.

The main advantage of this type of a chock, the kind that grips the tire, is loading and stabilizing the bike solo. Just ride or push it into the chock, and it's not going anywhere, allowing you to strap it down without anyone holding the bike. Or place a scissor jack under it. Or work on it without strapping it down.

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, that's a good one also, but for me I only have one bike and the wheel dock you just ride in, no teeter totter, and clamp it in. Very secure.

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
Yep, that's a good one also, but for me I only have one bike and the wheel dock you just ride in, no teeter totter, and clamp it in. Very secure.
And what brand do you have ElRod? I'm thinking of one for a Vintage.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
165 Posts
For what it's worth, I use a Harbor Freight Wheel Chock on my trailer, which cost about $40 (less if you get their 20% coupon which is spammed all over the internet) and haven't had any problems with it. It saw alot of use over the past two years as my last Gilroy Indian Spirit (2002) liked to breakdown because it would rather be towed than riden.

Though this wheel chock has a thin base, making it unlikely to be used on it's own, I don't see why you couldn't screw it to a piece 1x6 to increase the surface area making it into a similar "mobile" product like you are all discussing above.

Just thought I would throw that out there for anyone looking for a cheaper option.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
For what it's worth, I use a Harbor Freight Wheel Chock on my trailer, which cost about $40 (less if you get their 20% coupon which is spammed all over the internet) and haven't had any problems with it. It saw alot of use over the past two years as my last Gilroy Indian Spirit (2002) liked to breakdown because it would rather be towed than riden.

Though this wheel chock has a thin base, making it unlikely to be used on it's own, I don't see why you couldn't screw it to a piece 1x6 to increase the surface area making it into a similar "mobile" product like you are all discussing above.

Just thought I would throw that out there for anyone looking for a cheaper option.
Ha ... I'm also cheap. I've been using the Harbor Freight chock for years. I centered/bolted it to a 4'x4'x1" piece of plywood and it works well with my 2009 H-D FLHT with a 130/80-17 tire. The Scouts 130/90-16 should snuggle right in there :). I do like that Baxley LA though..
Motorcycle Wheel Chock
Harbor Freight Tools Coupon Codes | PromoCodesForYou.com

·
6,027 Posts
WebBikeWorld has reviews of all these right here: Motorcycle Lifts, Stands, Wheel Chocks - webBikeWorld

To summarize, they love the WheelDock and emphasize the ability to 'ride in.' The only con, which shouldn't matter to most is the non-adjustability, so much narrower or wider tires won't work. They called the Baxley the most secure chock because of the automatic locking mechanism of the jaws. As Steve mentioned before, they also mention the need to ride up and down (probably two inches) a tiny ramp which might put off some people. They liked the simplicity and cost of the Harbor Freight but qualified the review (IMO) with you get what you pay for.

We have a bunch of bikes and use the chock in the garage and trailer. We never park the bikes on it, we only use it for tasks. So we only need one chock and the Baxley is perfect.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just bought a Baxley LA Chock - I spent considerable time pondering over the reviews of the different chocks out there. For me, the Baxley LA was the chock-of-choice. I suspect it will also be my first motorcycle heirloom considering the cost ($249). :rolleyes:

I liked the WheelDock chock, but it was Baxley's adjustability that won me. I really like the idea of being able to tweak the chock to exactly match my tire size. That might also come in valuable down the road if I decide to expand my motorcycle collection beyond just the one Scout. I think using this chock with a scissor jack should cover most of my maintenance needs.

I think the Harbor Freight chocks have their rightful place, and certainly would not knock anyone for using them, but IMO you would just have to be a little more careful while using them when working underneath your machine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Baxley wheel chock , for the win
Had this for 6 yrs,,,,,,unlike the "dock" ,,, the baxley will nOT slide or move when putting the bike into and out of the chock..,,those BIG black round rubber feet [end caps] stick to the floor...

that's it holding up the 2008 KTM Duke 690

·
6,027 Posts
Baxley wheel chock , for the win
Had this for 6 yrs,,,,,,unlike the "dock" ,,, the baxley will nOT slide or move when putting the bike into and out of the chock..,,those BIG black round rubber feet [end caps] stick to the floor...

that's it holding up the 2008 KTM Duke 690

Nice bike. My first street bike was an LC4SM. I miss that motor so much! As much as I love twins, nothing like a big thumper. And great suspension out of the crate.

·
Founding member
961 Posts
I've had my WheelDock for over a year now and really like it. Easy in, easy out, and very secure. Great for oil changes, too. I've heard from a friend that they are great for trailering as well. I recommend WheelDock highly. A quality product.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts