Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I'm Southerndude, Really thinking about getting a 2014 Vintage. This will be my first cruiser I have rode. I have 125,000 miles on 5 different BMW's. Looking to sit lower and slow down a bit. I love how the Indian looks and feels when sitting on one, Thinking about Thunder Black, tan seat and bags. I know there are no perfect bikes. However, I have a little bit of a dilemma with the tubed tires on the Vintage. In my miles ridden I have had around 3-4 flats, all were able to be plugged and down the road to the closest dealer to get tires. My wife also had a flat on here metric cruiser, tubed spoke wheels, She was done, had to have the bike picked up and taken to the dealer for tire repair.

Also when you get a flat on a tubed tire, it happens fast, and that can be dangerous! I'm thinking of seeing if the dealer will put on the mags from a Chieftain on to a Vintage. I love the look of spoked wheels but they are also a pain to keep clean! What are some of your experience's with tubed tires over time, and special cleaning tools and tips for Spoked wheels? Do you think that Mag wheels would look stupid on a Vintage?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't think mags would look stupid on a Vintage, you don't really see that much of the wheels anyway. I have a Black Classic, I too would rather have tubeless tires for the very same reasons you mentioned. Likewise, I have ridden BMW's for the last 6 years, all were dual sport GS's. I had a couple of flats that I repaired since they were tubeless, but most of the problems occurred off the blacktop. I'm hoping I won't run into the same problems they way I'm riding now days, all on the hard roads. I would be willing to bet the wheels can be changed, but I can guarantee it won't be cheap! Here is a link to parts microfiche, fill in info at top of page and find "wheels". You will see what is involved (and I'm not even sure the Chieftain wheels will fit). Browse By the way, I am loving the Indian ride and handling as compared to the Beemer! Like I told a friend who rides at GTL, the Indian is as smooth as a BMW, with the power and torque of Harley, without the vibration...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think mags would look stupid on a Vintage, you don't really see that much of the wheels anyway. I have a Black Classic, I too would rather have tubeless tires for the very same reasons you mentioned. Likewise, I have ridden BMW's for the last 6 years, all were dual sport GS's. I had a couple of flats that I repaired since they were tubeless, but most of the problems occurred off the blacktop. I'm hoping I won't run into the same problems they way I'm riding now days, all on the hard roads. I would be willing to bet the wheels can be changed, but I can guarantee it won't be cheap! Here is a link to parts microfiche, fill in info at top of page and find "wheels". You will see what is involved (and I'm not even sure the Chieftain wheels will fit). Browse By the way, I am loving the Indian ride and handling as compared to the Beemer! Like I told a friend who rides at GTL, the Indian is as smooth as a BMW, with the power and torque of Harley, without the vibration...
Thanks for the input, So I'm not the only guy doing a 180 on changing rides from BMW. Thanks for the links, I will check it out.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The Chieftain is a few thousand more. Also, is the fairing mounted to the frame or the forks?
I would definitely try both bikes before I made a decision. The Chieftain is $2,000 more, msrp. But, you are getting more: Hard bags, tubeless tires, parabellum type fairing, elect. windshield and lots of electronic goodies; Bluetooth, tire pressure monitor, etc. It all depends on what you like/need. The primary difference in the handling of the two bikes is in the steering. The Vintage has a 29 degree rake vs. 25 degrees on the Chieftain. Sit on the bikes and turn them side to side, you will feel the difference...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I test rode a Vintage last Saturday and currently ride a K1600GT. No way the Indian is as smooth, has the same power or handing compared to my Beemer. That said I still want one!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another BMW rider checking in. I test rode a Vintage a few weeks ago. Smooth enough, but I didn't rev it too far. Not that you need to- it pretty much lopes along in top gear at 75mph. But heavy, yes. I got back on my R1150RT and it felt like a 400.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know, it has just occurred to me, this is a great thread for evaluating Indians in changing from your bike to getting an Indian! I think it would be great if we had a major topic area called " Indian Compared?"
Then under the that topic have threads that are BMW riders to Indian, Harley to Indian, Goldwing to Indian, Metric Cruisers to Indian, Then new potential buyers could get some good feedback in helping them make a decision on purchasing an Indian! What do you guys think?

·
Registered
65 Posts
If given a choice I would take the alloy wheels with black wall tires. Spoked rims and white walls are beautiful. Pain in the butt to clean. My 1977 Electra-Glide was the first year of alloys. A breeze to clean. The valanced fenders make cleaning not so easy. My next tires will be black walls. I own a 1973 BSA it's beeser not beemer

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am a BMW GS rider for 13 years now and bought the new water cooled GS in 2013. This bike is absolutely awesome. Now there is no comparison to a 2014 Chieftain. I just bought a Chieftain and it is a completely different animal that's what I like about it. This bike just has a super nice smooth and relaxed ride. The reason I bought the Jndian is to have it as an additional bike to go on relaxed weekend rides with my girlfriend or also going on a ride by myself. I also like the exclusivity compared to Harley's...there are thousands around. On a Indian one has to change the riding mode in the brain compared to the BMW. On my Beemer I go in the foothills and ride it like a sport bike and it's the blast, but I have to concentrate all the time just on the road. On the Indian I feel like on a torque trip without much shifting just enjoying the cruise.
So far that's my take on the BMW / Indian comparison.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You know, it has just occurred to me, this is a great thread for evaluating Indians in changing from your bike to getting an Indian! I think it would be great if we had a major topic area called " Indian Compared?"
Then under the that topic have threads that are BMW riders to Indian, Harley to Indian, Goldwing to Indian, Metric Cruisers to Indian, Then new potential buyers could get some good feedback in helping them make a decision on purchasing an Indian! What do you guys think?
Potential buyers who rely solely upon information provided within this forum are at risk of receiving biased information! By all means use the information found here and on the other forums to enhance your knowledge base. As far as comparisons, let the owner potential buyer make that decision as he/she will be the only one who can decide which it correct for him/her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I just started lookin at Indiancycles.
I been riding 1999 road king for 12 years. My question is what do passengers say about the indian cycle for comfort and enjoyment?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hi. I just started lookin at Indiancycles.
I been riding 1999 road king for 12 years. My question is what do passengers say about the indian cycle for comfort and enjoyment?
The last HD I owned was a 99 Road King Classic and the wife liked the ride for short stints. I bought a Goldwing when I thought I was getting too old to tour on my RK. I was wrong and got rid of it. I bought the 2014 Chieftain. The wife loves it. Says she misses the passenger floorboards but that is it. She did tell me the metal studs on the sides of her seat gave her a bit of a burning thrill when we came out to jump on the bike after a lunch stop. Overall, the Chieftain has a good smooth ride for the passenger, and like the HD, can be adjusted for personal taste.

newbike.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
thanks. what say u bout chieftain?
I guess your question is directed at me. If not, I apologize. The ride and handling is amazing. The pipes are loud enough that I don't feel I need to replace nor upgrade them. Plus with everyone with their stereos up loud and on their cell phones.... you couldn't hear a bike with no pipes on it. The seat is comfortable for me and with the addition of highway pegs, I am in a nice comfortable riding position (6' tall and about 225 lbs). If I was going to complain about anything, it would be you really can't see the information center data. In sunlight and with my sunglasses on....it really doesn't show up. The brakes are really good and I have tested the ABS. They work well but the back one was a bit sticky and causes it to lock up a bit. I expect that to change as the pads get broken in a bit better. Gears are spaced well and at 75mph in 6th gear, I am turning about 2300 rpm. I am getting about 41 - 43 mpg on the freeway cruising along between 60 and 70 mph.
I added drivers, passengers backrests, highway pegs, and will be adding the all important cup holder for the longer runs. I will NOT be adding the saddlebag speakers because I don't like the cheap way they mount nor do I like to give up my storage area.

Overall opinion....great bike. Definitely ride all the versions. The Chieftain and (probably) the Roadmaster have a different rake. 25 degrees vs 29 degrees and it will make the handling different. I know I can throw my Chieftain into a hard curve and power through it without feeling unsteady at any point.

There.... my 5 cent review.
Sorry about stealing the thread. Now back to our originally scheduled programming.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
393 Posts
Indians should have the tubeless spoked wheels like the new Harleys have. I was disappointed to find out the wheels required tubes. I believe it is a $500 option on the HDs.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well I will put my two cents in, I own a Chieftain and a whole lot of other bikes. Yes there is some heft to the chieftain, but it goes away by 5 mph, the hardest part for me is moving it around. After moving it around in the garage and then moving one of my other bikes they feel like toys, maybe I have found a new workout ! When I back the Chieftain out of the garage the sidestand is downhill, it does take some grunt to get it upright. Would a Scout b a better fit for me, probably, but then the girlfriend wouldn't want to ride anymore.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts