Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went for a short ride last weekend with my brother. I was on my new Roadmaster, he on a beautiful 94 Softail Classic. He had purchased me a new Indian leather jacket for my birthday that was too small, so we stopped by the local dealership to exchange it.
The dealer here in St Charles, MO has many brands in the middle with an Indian showroom on one side and a huge Harley building on the other.
It was early, and they had just opened. My bro decided to park on the Harley side as he wanted to look at their new models.
We were the 1st 2 bikes on the lot. Within minutes, about 15 Harley riders showed up.
As we dismounted and were stowing our gear you could feel the tension in the air. Nothing was said, but if looks could kill, I'd be a dead man! Lol.
I was cordial, even complimenting a few on their beautiful bikes. A few said "thanks", THATS IT.
What the hell is all the animosity for? You'd have though I rode up on a Japanese bike. I don't understand that sort of thinking. We're all brothers and sisters.
Anyone else have a similar experience? I'm not talking at a biker bar. Just out an about? Please share your experiences and thoughts about what you think is driving this. Jealousy? Anger that HD is no longer the only game in town?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,883 Posts
First of all.. this is like the hundredth thread on this subject. Secondly , you're probably part of the problem. I know this due to the Japanese bike comment . the spare parts comment. Did you expect a BJ while they admired the TS111 ? :)

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Went for a short ride last weekend with my brother. I was on my new Roadmaster, he on a beautiful 94 Softail Classic. He had purchased me a new Indian leather jacket for my birthday that was too small, so we stopped by the local dealership to exchange it.
The dealer here in St Charles, MO has many brands in the middle with an Indian showroom on one side and a huge Harley building on the other.
It was early, and they had just opened. My bro decided to park on the Harley side as he wanted to look at their new models.
We were the 1st 2 bikes on the lot. Within minutes, about 15 Harley riders showed up (spare parts for their day trip?).
As we dismounted and were stowing our gear you could feel the tension in the air. Nothing was said, but if looks could kill, I'd be a dead man! Lol.
I was cordial, even complimenting a few on their beautiful bikes. A few said "thanks", THATS IT.
What the hell is all the animosity for? You'd have though I rode up on a Japanese bike. I don't understand that sort of thinking. We're all brothers and sisters.
Anyone else have a similar experience? I'm not talking at a biker bar. Just out an about? Please share your experiences and thoughts about what you think is driving this. Jealousy? Anger that HD is no longer the only game in town?
Been through this many times .. Have had Many Tell me my Scout and other Chief Models are a Polaris not an Indian .. I just tell them I own 2 fine Rides Polaris Built that are well made .. I won't argue the point as in a slight way feel they are right to a small degree , the Original Springfield Indian died in 1953 but Polaris does have every right to bear the Indian Name now and end of subject .. On my Victory have caught almost as much Grief from New Indian Owners as Have HD Riders .. If happen to be on my Dyna can even get more exciting some will ask when are you trading that Old Harley in for a Real Indian .. Just say never because everything sitting under me on the Bike can Rebuild or Repair myself and all parts needed are sitting on the shelf for it ..

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all.. this is like the hundredth thread on this subject. Secondly , you're probably part of the problem. I know this due to the Japanese bike comment . the spare parts comment. Did you expect a BJ while they admired the TS111 ? :)
Well your pretty presumptuous. You dont know me. I have bought Japanese cars all my life and a Honda MC in 1979. The spare parts was a shot at humor. Lighten up.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I get is compliments. I have not experienced what you just described.
Glad to hear that. I didn't feel threatened or anything. Just kind of struck by the fact that were all in this together. You'd think ONE of them could have returned the compliment, as it was pretty clear mine was a brand new bike.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've had quite the opposite experience, even when at Harley dealerships for various events.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have had nothing but positive feedback from Harley and sport bike guys. I was in Cleveland, Texas last week getting fuel, went in to get coffee and drain the MONSTER. When I went to pay, the cashier told me that he was watching my bike for me on camera, cuz people were checking it out, taking pictures and he was afraid someone would try to sit on it.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
They're were probably pissed at you because you weren't drinking the HD coolaid. Personally I could care less what others drive, as should others care less what I drive.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,416 Posts
Why did you edit the part about the parts out ? I think you should put it back in so we can get the full story.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
As being discussed, lots of different factors play in. Believe it or not, I know 2 people hating Indian because of the way they were made out as the devil in that Harley mini-series.
Generally though, I get great compliments and I can read into many of their eyes, how cool they think it is...because that used to be me, until I properly fixed the situation and loving every minute of it.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They're were probably pissed at you because you weren't drinking the HD coolaid. Personally I could care less what others drive, as should others care less what I drive.
I drink NO brands kool-aid. If Indian doesn't measure up, I will find something that does. I researched this purchase to death because of the price involved. Read VERY few negative reports on this resurrection of the brand. Imo, they've gone about it in MOST ways correctly.
I just cant see shelling out hard earned cash on anything just because someone else does. Everyone needs to buy whats best for them. To hell what others think......

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As being discussed, lots of different factors play in. Believe it or not, I know 2 people hating Indian because of the way they were made out as the devil in that Harley mini-series.
Generally though, I get great compliments and I can read into many of their eyes, how cool they think it is...because that used to be me, until I properly fixed the situation and loving every minute of it.
I thought that was a great show. Actually turned my sights from believe it or not a Kawasaki Concours to either an HD or Indian. Loved the look of HD but FOR ME, I couldn't deal with the vibration transmitted through the grips to my hands. Just me though. Others have no problem with it.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why did you edit the part about the parts out ? I think you should put it back in so we can get the full story.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Just thought maybe SOME here have no sense of humor or it was conveyed wrong. Wasn't trying to piss anyone off.

1 - 20 of 357 Posts