Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My knock off manual instructs me to remove the debris flap thusly:

But I dint see no "darts" in the fender and it sure doesn't look like it's coming off from the top.

Is my Chief like your Chief?

Trying to install the lowering kit.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
The photo above appears to be the front of the rear fender? Was there no debris flap? I'd have to go out and pull the seat to check mine....which I can't do right now.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My debris flap is under the front of the rear fender. Just where it makes perfect sense for it to be.
The pic in the manual makes it look like it's on top of the fender and would just lift out from above.
Also there are 3 holes in my fender where the plastic darts could poke into...But the plastic flap has no darts connecting it into those holes.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on the manual & the pic, there is no debris flap. I plan to remove my seat today, will check it out
There's a plastic flap or guard our whatever in both the manual and on the actual bike. You can't see it in the pic of my bike cause it's under the fender. The actual placement on the bike makes perfect sense.

At this point it isn't clear to me why it would need to come out. I was going to go for the swing arm removal approach to swapping out the shock mounts and it calls for removing this flap.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Interesting it does not match pic. Maybe the guy who put it on had too many beers the night before. Maybe after you lower it it needs to go on top?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's definitely strange.

Just to clarify, this is the Indian shop manual. Not an instruction sheet. And that flap could not sit on top of the fender...no room.

And both the manual and the actual have the tip sensor attached to this flap. So it's not like the flap is just missing from my bike.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Looks like in the service manual it should attach to the top side of the fender and held in place with the 3 fasteners (per step #11). I've got to check mine too.

·
Early joiner
157 Posts
Checked my Vintage flap is on top with rivets like the manual shows. Only have to remove the RH sidecover to see it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked my Vintage flap is on top with rivets like the manual shows. Only have to remove the RH sidecover to see it.
Maybe we can leverage this into a debate about which is the superior design

One things for sure, my version is undocumented...pleh...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I've got it figured out...shop monkey shenanigans!

OK this is what I'm thinking:

At my 500 mile service way back in July I had a problem with my rear turn signals. They ended up having to replace a controller for them...not just a fix at the tail light assembly.

I think they must have needed to get back through there for some reason and placed the flap under the fender during reassembly. Because that flap is there with the sensor connected. And I can feel the shape of it...it feels like the picture in the manual looks.

I'm surprised the tire isn't hitting it when riding over the bumps.

Of course the project is to lower the bike, so I guess I'll need to get up under there and get that flap put right or I'll be scraping it for sure.

:eek:

·
Early joiner
157 Posts
Also with it under the fender it would channel water and crud into the Battery and VCM area - not a good thing!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts