Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got home the first thing I had to do was pull the seat and side panels off to check out my new ride. Here are a few shots of what I found. It was nice to find the pig-tail for a battery charger already installed and routed out the right side. Hope you all enjoy, this should be the same for all Classic and Vintage Chiefs.
After viewing a video on the design of the bike the pin to drop the rear suspension is the silver plug/pin with a red mark on it just below the shock on the first picture. It is held in place with a C-Clip and the center of the Silver Pin is threaded, I presume this is to help in pulling the pin, screw a bolt into it and a slide hammer will pop the pin out of the frame.
Sanqhar has a good video link that shows the presentation of the Indian bikes down under AUS/NZ and it shows the pin.

iefs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I feel sorry for you.
Reading your owners book it say to change belt and pulleys every 8 thousand miles. You would think a 20 thousand dollar bike could go farther then that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6736 said:
I feel sorry for you.
 Reading your owners book it say to change belt and pulleys every 8 thousand miles. You would think a 20 thousand dollar bike could go farther then that.
It actually says to refer to the service manual or dealer for replacement intervals. The second paragraph is talking about replacing the whole set if the belt has the listed damage after 5,000 miles (8000km) of service. I missed the details the first time I read it too. I'm not trying to sharp shoot you, just makes sure we put out correct info. This comes from page 87 of the owners manual.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
6736 said:
I feel sorry for you.
Ouch - by the sounds of that the new Indian's may have a very high total cost of ownership (TCO).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
6736 said:
I feel sorry for you.
To quote George Clooney from O Brother Where Art Thou
You're dumber than a bag of hammers.

Since I guess you didn't read my response to you the first time I'll repost it here so others can know they can't trust a word you say. (originally posted in the Indian Belt Maint. thread)

<span>Where does it recommend 'at eight thousand miles you should go to dealer and spend a thousand dollars on a new belt and pulleys'??? </span>

<span>Page 82 says to change the belt at 30,000 miles and doesn't even say anything about changing the sprocket. </span>

<span>Page 87 says 'Replace the drive belt and both sprockets as a set if the drive belt has over 5,000 miles (8,000 km) of service at the time of damage or failure.' </span>

<span>Since you seem to be incapable of under standing basic english let me see if I can explain that to you.</span>

<span>Inspect your belt at 500, 2,500, and 5,000 miles then every 5,000 miles after.</span>

<span>If you don't find any damage change your belt at 30,000 miles.</span>

<span>If you do find damage evaluate the damage using the pictures on page 87 (since it has pictures I assume you won't need anyone to explain it to you, at least I hope you don't. If you do need someone to explain it then I'd suggest you sell your bike since you don't seem to have enough intelligence to properly operate one).</span>

<span>If you do find damage that the pictures on page 87 recommends you change the belt with less than 5,000 miles on the bike you would probably be safe to just change the belt.</span>

<span>If you do find damage that the pictures on page 87 recommends you change the belt with more than 5,000 miles on the bike it is recommended that you change both the sprockets as well as the belt.</span>

<span>For the record, there is not a single mention of 8,000 miles in the entire book. I guess you are incapable of figuring out that km istand for kilometers, not miles. Hopefully your speedometer only show miles per hour or else you will be going extreamly slow while trying to figure out why all those maniacs are flying by you </span>
<span> </span>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PRETTY!!! I did the same with my Vegas. Yeah, she had the battery tender pigtail too. I thought they threw it in(WINNING), but it's listed on the invoice(WHO LICKED MY ICING). It's still nice to have either way.

8K, wow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Based on what seems to be much more accurate information, I retract my statement about Indian's potentially having a high TCO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always inspect my bike at every oil change. My 2002 TCD went over 50 K miles and was still using the same belt without problems. My Vision is approaching 30 K miles and no issues with the belt. I may elect to do a fork oil service around 35 K because she isn't showing any signs of diving on stops and rides just fine. I'm sure my Indian will be as trouble free as my other two bikes. I traded the TCD in for the Vision and the new owner is still riding on the original belt. It all depends on road conditions and how you ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4606 said:
To quote George Clooney from O Brother Where Art Thou
You're dumber than a bag of hammers.
Geez, Does a Nut have your Goat?

I'd be disapointed if the belt didn't last at least 50,000 miles or 5 years on any bike.

Oh OP, Nice pictures. You seem like me. Gotta tear into it and see what makes it tick.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
13945 said:
Geez, Does a Nut have your Goat?

I'd be disapointed if the belt didn't last at least 50,000 miles or 5 years on any bike.

Oh OP, Nice pictures. You seem like me. Gotta tear into it and see what makes it tick.
Not at all. Go back and read some of his other posts and you'll see that he has an axe to grind and doesn't mind lying to achieve it. If this were a Harley forum I wouldn't even bother. But this is a place where people come to find out what these Victories and Indians are all about. If someone posts such a blatant lie and no one refutes it then it must be true. No offense to Known1 but he bought it hook line and sinker so I'm sure others would as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4606 said:
No offense to Known1 but he bought it hook line and sinker so I'm sure others would as well.
No offense taken as I don't own an Indian nor do I have a manual for one. If someone states that they are reading out of an owners manual I'm going to believe them more times than not. (Even though in this case it did seem a bit hard to believe.) Thank you for setting the record straight!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To quote from the owners manual page 82 at 30 K miles they recommend belt replacement. Based upon my experience with belt driven bikes unless there is damage to the belt itself or to a pully there is no need to replace the belt. Reviewing my Vision manual and it's shop manual they both mirror the Indian Periodic Maintenance Table recommendations. There is nothing different about the Indian or Victory belts as far as I can tell. Keep the belts clean and within adjustments and you can ride far beyond that 30 K point. That chart is just a guideline and the manufacturer wants to cover their six. I'm shure any other motorcycle manufacturer has the same guide lines. I personnaly don't care if someone is trying to snipe about Polaris or the bikes they make. My experience to date is that these guys put a better product on the road than anyone else. I'd rather ride than spend time wrenching or towing my bike to the dealer. I know this won't dispell those who are predisposed to sniping, but my reaction is go get a life guy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe that the pin in question is the lower bolt the shock is attached to the swing arm with. I have included a couple of photos of the underside of the bike showing the brake line routing and the tray holding the ABS solenoids at the bottom rear of the engine. Enjoy the photos, I didn't take the time to put the bike on a lift but just laid on the cold floor and used my iPhone and a flashlight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally got my bike up on my jack to take some photos. The shots show that I use the hard rubber furniture cups to keep from pinching the clutch cable when I jack up the bike. Enjoy the uderside photos these are more clear that the floor shots of a couple of days ago.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
11345 said:
I always inspect my bike at every oil change. My 2002 TCD went over 50 K miles and was still using the same belt without problems. My Vision is approaching 30 K miles and no issues with the belt. I may elect to do a fork oil service around 35 K because she isn't showing any signs of diving on stops and rides just fine. I'm sure my Indian will be as trouble free as my other two bikes. I traded the TCD in for the Vision and the new owner is still riding on the original belt. It all depends on road conditions and how you ride.
FYI, in the last thread he posted this drivel I pointed out the belt service intervals as well as the pictures and wording in the Indian manual are exactly the same as in the Victory manuals. Go beyond the recommended intervals if you choose but it's such a minor piece of maintenance I think it's being penny wise and pound foolish to ignore it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not for nothing but I have rode belt driven Harleys for over 22 years and 250K miles. Never had to replace belt or sprockets. The belts on the Vics and Indians are made from the same material (Kevlar) and probably in the same factory. Inspect belts at service intervals and ride on. IMO after purchasing the service manuel ,reading it, and giving my bike a through going over, these new Indians are much easier to maintain than any Harley I have owned. Couple of things I question in the service manual: 1). Changing the Fork oil @ 15K and replacing the brake fluid @ 10K. Seems way overkill to me. I beleive these intervals are based on folks that let the bikes sit more than ride them. If you are putting 12-15K on these bikes anually than the fluids should be fine for much longer intervals. Again MHO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with your post Cheiftain947. I don't rise for the snipes who just want to stir the pot. This is my third Polaris product and to date the best one yet. My Vision is going great, changed the brake/hydralic fluids at 30K because the clutch fluid was getting pretty dark. Normal oil/filter changes are about all she needed. I did have to replace the IAC feed hose because the original rubber one split. Once I did that the poping on decel went away on the Stage One Vision.

Looking over my Indian I'm impressed with how clear the hoses and wiring are. The engineers really paid attention to detail and made a great product. The rubber grommets that hold the side panels on seem to be well made and you don't have to exert a great deal of force to put the side panels back on.

Now if I can just find an easy way to keep the white walls clean, that is the only down side to clean ups. Brake dust and road grime likes to show itself far to easly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Clean your whitewalls with a nylon-bristle scrub brush, a pot of warm water and some Comet or similar scouring powder with bleach in it. Wet the tires, dunk the brush in warm water, sprinkle a little cleanser on it, the gently scrub around the witewall. Of course, it helps to has the bike on a lift so you can turn the wheels as you go...
Rinse with clear water, you're ready to go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
11345 said:
I believe that the pin in question is the lower bolt the shock is attached to the swing arm with.
See this video at 12mins 46secs. The pin is up in the frame and is not the lower shock bolt.

Does it show in any of your photos?

tom

1 - 20 of 34 Posts