Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for some information on what Scout owners like and dislike after riding several hundred miles. I have one on order and located in MN so I will not be riding any time soon. I have not had the chance to test ride at all. The only thing I have been able to find is test ride reviews. I'm very excited about this bike but would like to know what you think after spending some real time on the Scout. Thanks for any comments....By the way I'm new to Indian have a Triumph currently..

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Welcome. Look to the right on this forum, read the 2015 Indian Scout Q&A article.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
I have tried to to post some Good Bad and Ugly about the Scout with 2,000 + Miles on Mine .. Just need to do a little searching around in the Scout Section .. You will find all kinds of Info here from a lot of people ..

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have tried to to post some Good Bad and Ugly about the Scout with 2,000 + Miles on Mine .. Just need to do a little searching around in the Scout Section .. You will find all kinds of Info here from a lot of people ..
After reading probably every review there was/is on the Scout while waiting for mine, I arrived to fine nothing but subjective options on everything, EVERYTHING. What one writer liked another did not. All worthless reviews with the exception of solid facts such as the bikes specifications. I demo'ed twice, threw my money down and took my chances.
In my subjective humble option, after having six hundred miles including a few 105 mph runs in Death Valley, and crawling through downtown San Diego I've only done two changes on the bike; mirror extensions, and mini floor boards. Will probably do a few more ecstatic things like pulsing brake lights etc. but can't see much more than that. This bike is as close to perfection for me as a motorcycle can get, I'm in love with a machine.:D

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
After reading probably every review there was/is on the Scout while waiting for mine, I arrived to fine nothing but subjective options on everything, EVERYTHING. What one writer liked another did not. All worthless reviews with the exception of solid facts such as the bikes specifications. I demo'ed twice, threw my money down and took my chances.
In my subjective humble option, after having six hundred miles including a few 105 mph runs in Death Valley, and crawling through downtown San Diego I've only done two changes on the bike; mirror extensions, and mini floor boards. Will probably do a few more ecstatic things like pulsing brake lights etc. but can't see much more than that. This bike is as close to perfection for me as a motorcycle can get, I'm in love with a machine.:D
I have to agree with Brian. I had a box of stuff ready when the bike arrived, only to find a near perfect bike. So I sent it all back, and now very slowly and deliberatly refining it.

Last new bike I bought, the BMW GS went on the lift with zero miles and didn't come down for two weeks. This one is just that good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments, I just got back from the Indian dealer with my brother who looked at the Scout for the first time and he also thought it was the best looking he has ever seen. The dealer had a gloss black and silver on the floor and he still thinks I will have mine (gloss black) in March. I will be happy if its here in May. I really haven't found anyone that has had major problem with the Scout, its young yet and I will continue to read all I can on the Scout. Thanks for any help from those of you that are lucky enough to have yours now..

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have been looking for some information on what Scout owners like and dislike after riding several hundred miles. I have one on order and located in MN so I will not be riding any time soon. I have not had the chance to test ride at all. The only thing I have been able to find is test ride reviews. I'm very excited about this bike but would like to know what you think after spending some real time on the Scout. Thanks for any comments....By the way I'm new to Indian have a Triumph currently..
Hey Mike,,,,, after 500 some miles on this bike [and a few others in 50 yrs riding] it all depends on one's perspective.
there is a saying among old timers...."the best you know....... is the best you've rode"
one motorcycle can't be all things to everyone... and you really can only find out by {lots of ] time in the saddle.
Unless , like a lot of f#ck sticks these days,,,, you are a "motorcyclist" because you "have " a motorcycle...not that you actually ride the dam thing. ;)

Polaris made a fine first effort in the Scout,,,the paint and chrome are first rate ,,,,,bike actually looks better in person than in pictures [ if that is possible ].
That exhaust sound is great [ stage #1 pipe and tune } ,, but gets a little annoying after some time on the highway [ again, can't have it both ways]
It shifts better than most bikes i have had,,,,NO clunk going into first from neutral :)
Brakes are good , not great,,, better brakes cost more money.
The Seat and Backrest is VERY comfortable,,,two thumbs up !
The suspension ,,well ,, it is crap,,,,but again ,, considering the price,,, i did not expect much different,,, the front is sprung too soft and has little to no dampening ... the rear is just the opposite ,,, over sprung and over dampend.
front soft, rear hard.
but remember , it is a $10,999 ,,, 1133 cc v twin motorcycle.... i spent that same amount for a 08 ktm Duke 690..and it is a single cylinder,,,but has the finest fully adjustable *********** {WP} suspension and radial brakes from Brembo .
different tools for different jobs
The Scout does it's "job" just fine.... day rides, bar hopping, around town go getter , Show Stopper........all fine
Touring, cross country, back roads corner carving....uh,, not so much....there are much better rides for that.

dislikes ?.....
non adjustable [ like those on a FJR or any KTM } brake and clutch levers
NO side stand , engine cut off..........how many are going to crash on the first left turn they make?
Cable operated clutch,,,once you have had Hydraulic ,,,, cable is like going back to the stone age.......again $$$
Riding around with the trip meter displayed ALL the time......if you wait till the "low fuel " light comes on ,, you may be F#cked.
Better to start thinking of fuel around the 80-90 mile mark...1/2 a gallon left is when the light comes on,,,but how much of that is actually available to be picked up by the fuel pump,,is not something i have found out.
The motorcycle and rider sit VERY LOW to the ground,,,,,which means I have had more people NOT see me in 500 miles ,,,than 70,000 miles on the FJR [ bike and rider sit relatively high]...The Scout WILL brake very hard , if need be.

The scout takes a fine picture,,no ugly angles .
this is small motorcycle,,,fat types need not apply.

you look like you will do fine,,,,,,if not,,, the scout will sell fast on CL.

THAT is the great thing about motorcycles,,,,,,,unlike women, if you don't want it no more..........SELL IT

{unless you are a muslim in a muslim country,,,there you can just shoot her or bury her up to her neck and throw stones at her].......the wife,,,,,NOT the motorcycle !
ENJOY IT :) :)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
Hey Mike,,,,, after 500 some miles on this bike [and a few others in 50 yrs riding] it all depends on one's perspective.
there is a saying among old timers...."the best you know....... is the best you've rode"
one motorcycle can't be all things to everyone... and you really can only find out by {lots of ] time in the saddle.
Unless , like a lot of f#ck sticks these days,,,, you are a "motorcyclist" because you "have " a motorcycle...not that you actually ride the dam thing. ;)

Polaris made a fine first effort in the Scout,,,the paint and chrome are first rate ,,,,,bike actually looks better in person than in pictures [ if that is possible ].
That exhaust sound is great [ stage #1 pipe and tune } ,, but gets a little annoying after some time on the highway [ again, can't have it both ways]
It shifts better than most bikes i have had,,,,NO clunk going into first from neutral :)
Brakes are good , not great,,, better brakes cost more money.
The Seat and Backrest is VERY comfortable,,,two thumbs up !
The suspension ,,well ,, it is crap,,,,but again ,, considering the price,,, i did not expect much different,,, the front is sprung too soft and has little to no dampening ... the rear is just the opposite ,,, over sprung and over dampend.
front soft, rear hard.
but remember , it is a $10,999 ,,, 1133 cc v twin motorcycle.... i spent that same amount for a 08 ktm Duke 690..and it is a single cylinder,,,but has the finest fully adjustable *********** {WP} suspension and radial brakes from Brembo .
different tools for different jobs
The Scout does it's "job" just fine.... day rides, bar hopping, around town go getter , Show Stopper........all fine
Touring, cross country, back roads corner carving....uh,, not so much....there are much better rides for that.

dislikes ?.....
non adjustable [ like those on a FJR or any KTM } brake and clutch levers
NO side stand , engine cut off..........how many are going to crash on the first left turn they make?
Cable operated clutch,,,once you have had Hydraulic ,,,, cable is like going back to the stone age.......again $$$
Riding around with the trip meter displayed ALL the time......if you wait till the "low fuel " light comes on ,, you may be F#cked.
Better to start thinking of fuel around the 80-90 mile mark...1/2 a gallon left is when the light comes on,,,but how much of that is actually available to be picked up by the fuel pump,,is not something i have found out.
The motorcycle and rider sit VERY LOW to the ground,,,,,which means I have had more people NOT see me in 500 miles ,,,than 70,000 miles on the FJR [ bike and rider sit relatively high]...The Scout WILL brake very hard , if need be.

The scout takes a fine picture,,no ugly angles .
this is small motorcycle,,,fat types need not apply.

you look like you will do fine,,,,,,if not,,, the scout will sell fast on CL.

THAT is the great thing about motorcycles,,,,,,,unlike women, if you don't want it no more..........SELL IT

{unless you are a muslim in a muslim country,,,there you can just shoot her or bury her up to her neck and throw stones at her].......the wife,,,,,NOT the motorcycle !
ENJOY IT :) :)
"Paint and chrome are first rate".
You either haven't looked closely at the paint. Indian's paint is far from first rate.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand that everyone may have a different opinion about the same motorcycle however after riding for several hundred miles if you have several people saying the same positive or negative thing its a good chance that it is a common plus or problem. I'm not looking for the things that are known before riding such as it only has one seat, or small brake pedal or cable hand brake, I would like to know likes or dislikes, long rides, cornering, shifting and over all comfort and performance, vibration, remember I have not had a test ride. I do really appreciate any comments any of you may have. A big thanks for your opinion.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Mikehell, I think the paint is better than any stock paint from other manufactures. My opinion
I think the paint quality has a ways to go. Too many reported paint issues to say that it is better than other stock paint. The Victory paint improved over time as I believe the Scout will also.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know I guess you may be right about the issues, I have only seen the bikes that have had a good paint job, not the ones that have flaws...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
When you take delivery of your bike, take off the rose-lens glasses and look at it very carefully. From what I have read here, on other forums, and from direct experience, Polaris leaves a lot to be desired with their paint jobs and bit of the fit and finish. I had a thumb print on the top of the fairing on my Chieftain. It was so clear that we could ID the person who left it on the bike. I spotted orange peel on the test bikes and some of the first bikes of the Chiefs. On the test rides of the Scouts, the one I test rode had a paint drip down the back of the front fender. Some will say I am nitpicking on Polaris but anything we as riders let pass by doesn't help Polaris improve their machines. We shouldn't accept these issues simply because we want a bike with the brand name Indian. There are a lot of bikes coming off the line without any problems at all but the weakest link always breaks. Inspect your bike and hold Polaris accountable. It's better than spotting the issue two weeks later in your garage leaving you will little to no recourse for repairs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Loki, I agree with you and I will look it over and I can tell you that I would not accept any less than perfect, We pay a good price for this Scout and the reason I buy new is because I want perfect. Thanks for your comment, I will make sure my excitement of getting a new bike does not make me overlook something that will stay with me a long time.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Paint is paint. It is not magic. I think Harley does a good job considering all the different paint designs they offer. I think Harley's paint and chrome is right up there.
That said, Indian is aware of the problems. The line between a no good job and a good job is the quality inspection. Someone has to own these problems.
Someone is not doing a good paint job.
Someone is not doing a goog quality inspection.
Someone owns it all.
We are paying for it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Loki, I agree with you and I will look it over and I can tell you that I would not accept any less than perfect, We pay a good price for this Scout and the reason I buy new is because I want perfect. Thanks for your comment, I will make sure my excitement of getting a new bike does not make me overlook something that will stay with me a long time.
Cool. Also, don't let it kill your enthusiasm either.
True story: a number of years ago, we purchased a new BMW 550i for my wife. She was extremely excited about it until I did a walk around on the car and in less than 10 minutes, found 17 fit and finish problems with the car. Needless to say, we left the dealership to give them time to repair everything and my wife never let me hear the end of ruining her new car. Sheesh.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Not a problem, I'm very fussy when it comes to finish. I have looked at about 9 different Scouts since they started coming into the dealers and looked close at them, maybe not as close as if they were going to be mine, but have been very pleased with the paint. I will take a much closer look when mine comes.

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
I hope this doesn't side track the (informative) thread, but I'm curious to know what a customer does if he/she sees orange peel or paint drip, send the bike back? order another Scout? ask for consideration on price?

·
5,337 Posts
Will be able to tell you more about how they address the Paint Issue when do my 2500 Service Next Week ..

·
5,337 Posts
You know I guess you may be right about the issues, I have only seen the bikes that have had a good paint job, not the ones that have flaws...
There is Now a Sticky about Paint Problems in the Scout Section ..

1 - 20 of 73 Posts