Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I know, it really doesn’t matter, it’s the SMILES per gallon that do. This is pretty common for me though, riding slowly on mountain backroads. I have Indian’s oval air cleaner, V&H classics, and the download that came with the air cleaner.
Couldn’t be more pleased with the way it runs, particularly the smoothness and torque at low rpm.
If I get on the Interstate though, that mpg number goes way down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Same. I get 50+ mpg pretty regularly. But like you if i hit the freeway i drop into the low to mid 40's.
'18 Roadmaster, gutted cat, stock intake, plugs knocked out of stock pipes, and a Fuel Moto tune from CraigB.
Snapped this pic to rub it in with a buddy that rides another brand, and smaller.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
My 2019 Scout hasn't gotten that many miles per gallon yet, maybe mid to high forties but that's it. A lot less motor and a lot less weight so go figure.

·
Rider
1,281 Posts
Yes, for some reason I've always gotten better mileage when at higher altitudes. That and the fact that riding back roads usually means fewer stoplights, I've gotten 50+ mpg as well.

Blasting down I-95 (on my way to Fla.) at very high rates of speed . . . not so much ! ! !

BD

Reactions: KAREN

·
Bronze member
3,393 Posts
I never believed it before... but I put stage II in and yes if I keep it under 60mph I can get 47-52... the minute I creep to a higher speed it drops to 43 pretty quick... and then if you add a nice headwind back to my used to be normal of 35

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
I reckon that the Scout's sixth gear isn't an overdrive being as it's the same ratio as the Sixty's fifth gear. The fact the motor is turning more rpm probably has a lot to do with it. The 2015 Chieftain I had was just loafing along in sixth.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I hold the throttle real tight and twist hard, at least that I what thought the big bore kit was for :).. rarely see anything above 40 mpg unless it is downhill...

·
Bronze member
2,002 Posts
My 2019 Scout hasn't gotten that many miles per gallon yet, maybe mid to high forties
First year or 10000 miles mine was averaging lower than the next couple years.
Added the Dynojet stock tune after the first nine months, didn’t seem to make a difference that I could tell.

The real obvious change comes from riding at speeds below or above 55-60 MPH using 5th or 6th gear depending on which side of that speed threshold I’m on.
So 55-60 is when my scout will attain 50+ miles per gallon.
Going below or above that speed makes for a drastic drop.

·
Bronze member
3,158 Posts
My computer constantly lies to me as well,I filled mine up zeroed my trip meter,then the next fill took pump gal against mileage, wasn't even close.
But my spedo is off 4mph,so maybe that's what's screwing things up.

·
Rider
796 Posts
25-60 mpg depending on several variables. Extreme headwinds being the biggest factor. I’ll average 40-42 below 79mph. 35-39 above 80.

·
Registered
813 Posts
What amazes me is fuel injection. My former Yamaha Roadstar midnight Star Silverado blew through a tank of gas after filling up before the Bear tooth pass run.
My 2014 Indian Chieftain barely used a quarter tank. 50+?

·
Rider
1,139 Posts
I reckon that the Scout's sixth gear isn't an overdrive being as it's the same ratio as the Sixty's fifth gear. The fact the motor is turning more rpm probably has a lot to do with it. The 2015 Chieftain I had was just loafing along in sixth.
It ain't turning that hard. At 80 I'm just hitting about 4100 rpm in 5th gear on my Sixty. I ride a lot of 55-60 country roads so I get good mileage - mid 50s and even 60 a couple of times. But because I don't have that 5 gear of the 69 a lot of times I'm not going fast enough to use 5th (your 6th) gear. I think I actually would benefit from that gear because of my riding speeds.

·
Rider
1,281 Posts
What amazes me is fuel injection. My former Yamaha Roadstar midnight Star Silverado blew through a tank of gas after filling up before the Bear tooth pass run.
My 2014 Indian Chieftain barely used a quarter tank. 50+?
My 2002 Roadie (also a Silverado) got pretty good mileage. Not as good as my DH Chieftain, but I figure that was as much due to a big windshield vs. a fairing.

I had a Strat for little while and, even though it was FI, it was a real hog. At highway speeds I would not even get 100 miles out a full tank ! ! !

BD

Reactions: GreatWhite

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’m a “townie” and only get out on the open road on the weekend. Mainly back and forth to work, seeing 40 or so mpg so far. I am obviously not riding aggressively enough!

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
I'm always between the 48-52 mpg mark,[with a best of 55 mpg] except for yesterday when I only got alittle over 53 mpg.But I do "NOT" drive it hard either cause it's too big and too heavy to take on all comers or play squirrel with.It's a crusier and a dam fine one at that,["NOT A RICE ROCKET"] and that's EXACTLY what I use it for!! If ya wanna go fast in a hurry and or take on all comers,then you bought the WRONG MACHINE!!! Dave!!!

·
Rider
998 Posts
Hahahha yeah.....50mpg non-freeway speed. Probably shifting below 2500 Rpms aren't ya?

Grip it and rip it!

That 10ish mpg difference will be made up with grins ear to ear.

You only live once.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eeyore

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
Actually,my shift points are between 1800 and 2000 rpm and I have no problem,what so ever,with acceleration.WHY?? Cause I use the machine for the purpose it was intended to be used for,not to mention it has good low end torque without being over taxed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I normally shift somewhere between 2800 and 3000 RPM. That's around where peak torque occurs on the TS111 engine IIRC. Seems like shifting is smoother when I do it @ that RPM range.

This is probably the reason I don't get 50 mpg.

·
Rider
1,028 Posts
I was coming back from Sturgis to Montana(2016 Chieftain w/Stage 2 upgrades), hit a bunch of twisties going down hill for miles, I was shocked to see 72mpg on the read out at one time, probably doing around 35 on a downhill tight wide sweeper

Reactions: msklein
1 - 20 of 66 Posts