Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a set of brand new Metzeler tires from J&P Cycle and the front (110/80-R19) was manufactured in April of 2016 (week 16 in 2016 = 1616), more than 4-1/4 years ago :eek:, and the rear (150/70-R17) was made in week 35 of 2016 (3516) :oops:and will have it’s 4th B-Day next week or in 2. SMH. I feel like robbed of 4 years of possible riding....... :mad:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I would try to return them. Tire shops will tell you 5 years old need replacing and they won’t mount them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Founding member
1,505 Posts
J&P can often beat the price of a local dealer on the same tire. You just found out one of the reasons why. They are notorious for having older tires in stack. But on the other hand - a 4 year old tire kept in a warehouse is probably still good for 4 more years or so. Depends a lot on what kind of mileage you put on per year. If you put at least 10.000 a year I really wouldn't worry about them. A Metzler is so soft they're only going to last about 60% of the life of a Dunlop anyway.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just had a rear tire put on at a shop about a month ago and didn't bother to check until now because they are very reputable shop. Date stamp was 1619, so only made slightly over a year ago.
I think I would send the tires back unless you put so many miles on your bike that you will go thru the tread life within a year.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just received a set of brand new Metzeler tires from J&P Cycle and the front (110/80-R19) was manufactured in April of 2016 (week 16 in 2016 = 1616), more than 4-1/4 years ago :eek:, and the rear (150/70-R17) was made in week 35 of 2016 (3516) :oops:and will have it’s 4th B-Day next week or in 2. SMH. I feel like robbed of 4 years of possible riding....... :mad:

View attachment 598586 View attachment 598587

·
Rider
442 Posts
I ordered a tire a couple of years ago from JP specifically requesting nothing more than 6 months old when I placed the oder and they assured me it would not be a problem {for them}. The tire arrived more than one year old and when I complained they just blew me off. I will never do business with those idiots again. Fortunately I ride 12 - 15,000 miles a year so though I was stuck with a stale tire I made the best of it. If I rode far less like most folks that tire would have timed out before wearing out.

This kind of nonsense demonstrates clearly why they can not be trusted... 4 years old? seriously???

o_Oo_Oo_O

·
Rider
1,180 Posts
I would try to return and if they didnt take them back I would send them back anyways then next step call the bank and have them pull the money back for inferior product.
F- Them!
The way things are today with everything that kind of BS will not be tolerated.
And that there is my .02 cents.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Send them back, cancel the transaction. The card company will want to know who has physical possession of the tires. Make sure you have proof you returned them, your word isn’t enough.

·
Rider
944 Posts
I feel like robbed of 4 years of possible riding......
Sounds as if you ride 2000 miles a year if you are thinking that you have been robbed of 4 years. Might consider exchanging them if you can.

But mount them if you ride that much it won't be a problem. If it takes two years well one year over isn't that bad.

Hell, I have tires on my car that are 8 years old and they are fine.

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
lesson learned... shop local... put hands and eyes on product.. you get what you get on the internet...

Reactions: Jarhead65

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys for all your input. They already offered to take them back and told me this: "According to U.S. standards tires have a shelf life of 5 years in a climate controlled setting and is recommended to replace them at 7 years regardless of the condition of the tire at that time."
They also told me: "We cannot guarantee you would be sent younger tires, because we cannot pick a specific tire to ship directly to you."
I get it, besides picking a tire locally, which one of the online guys ships fresh tires?
How do you guys make sure (when buying online) you're not getting ripped off here with the manufacturing date?
Last one: What would be an acceptable age for a brand-new tire? My feeling is maybe 1 year or up to 1-1/2 years considering some are made overseas......

Reactions: Hatt
1 - 20 of 42 Posts