Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been getting bombed by folks here telling me to check my goose neck for flaws and posting this pic of a Chief with a snapped mount.
Does anyone know what happened here? or what could cause this to occur. I can see no recalls or warranty claims for such instances here in NZ, and looks rather clear something serious happened.
There aren't more pics that I can find, would certainly be good to know.
1593674503313.png

·
Bronze member
2,013 Posts
The only other pic of a broken steering neck I saw on the forums was from a accident/impact.

Aluminium casting is in comparison to steel (tubes?) more brittle/less elastic. So any impact with enough energy to frame parts is prone to "crack something".

But if it was a systematic and regular fault of Indian frame engineering we would witness in the internet a much "louder outcry"!

Having said that: Of course castings CAN be faulty. So if one or two cases of contamination/micro cracks have slipped through Indians QA that is statistically/theoretically possible!
( as with any othe rmanufacturer!!!)

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
My guess is that he was wheeling it out and slammed the front down.

I can't see any other damage to the forks like he might have hit someone and the surface of the break shows that it wasn't cracked and ridden for some time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I spoke to a harley sales guy yesterday. They are using this as a sales tactic to downplay Indian. It kinda made me angry. As soon as I said I owned an Indian, he pulls out this picture.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,877 Posts
Without knowing the story behind that particular photo, here is my assumption.

It doesn't look like it was a neck failure while riding. No dirt anywhere on the break areas to indicate long term. No other damage on the bike, wheel, motors, bars or fender to show it failed while in motion. There are marks on the side of the fender consistent with it going under the front frame of the trailer. And the body is still upright. It would typically have to be dragged onto the trailer on its side if the front wheel is seperated.

I think it was in the trailer already when it broke. Either tied down way to tight over the neck, or not enough and the bike came forward on the trailer during braking or a separate collision. Or a combination of both.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There appears to be damage to the driving lights and right signal light. Headlight scratched. Windscreen scratched and cracked on the right. Right brake lever and mirror damaged. A result of the break or contributing cause...? Hard to say based on these pictures alone.

·
Bronze member
3,446 Posts
How many threads on this here now????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here is the bottom line. Bikes aren't cracking and falling apart as some of the Facebook posts and other social media sites are insinuating. Basically the bike was wrecked. You can see mud and dirt on the lower crash bars and on the left side of the bike you can see the rubber pad of the floor board was ripped off.

I could see this possibly happening if a rider failed to negotiate a turn and went unintentional off-roading and the bike hit hard. You can't see the left side, but I would not be surprised to see damage.

What's annoying about these posts is that they seem to be trying to insinuate that these bikes are falling apart on the road. Not that the OP intended this but it is plain silly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wondered how long it would take these to show up here. There's been all kinds of Monday morning quarterbacking these pictures. And they're always posted by a guy posting from a friend that he actually knows that sent him the pictures, ya'll! 😂.. The most recent one I saw this morning said the guy was from Alaska.

Whatever it is.. there's evidence in these pictures of a right side impact. My guess, and no, I didn't even stay in a holiday inn last night.. Rider hit something that snapped the front to the right and that's what caused the headlight damage and dents in the tank. That either snapped the neck or it broke completely when it was cinched down too much on that trailer.

That's just my 2 cents. Add another $1.50 to it and you might get a cup of coffee.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Front-End impact... That is it - period. Two things happen, the handlebars get slammed to either side and the stop-tab under the neck spigot takes the impact. Results are almost always a crack traveling up the neck and causing this failure. Second thing, with sufficient force applied to the front forks the neck will fail as in the images posted. I have worked on several dozen such damaged bikes. Polaris will transfer your serial number to a brand new backbone for you if you wish to rebuild the bike.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
That's just my 2 cents. Add another $1.50 to it and you might get a cup of coffee.
Roy, I don't know where you are buying coffee but $1.52 only makes a dent in my tripple shot, Venti White Mocha, no whip, non fat milk...:);):p:coffee:(y)

·
Bronze member
3,446 Posts
Front-End impact... That is it - period. Two things happen, the handlebars get slammed to either side and the stop-tab under the neck spigot takes the impact. Results are almost always a crack traveling up the neck and causing this failure. Second thing, with sufficient force applied to the front forks the neck will fail as in the images posted. I have worked on several dozen such damaged bikes. Polaris will transfer your serial number to a brand new backbone for you if you wish to rebuild the bike.

I was hoping you would chime in and set the record straight

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
These frames are NOT weak at all. The damage shown is from a serious collision accident. This is an inherent failure point in these rigid frames that dissipates energy in a collision. Something has to take up the energy and I would rather it be a piece of aluminum frame than my body. I don't recall where, but I have heard it said that engineering design factors take this into account. These frames are not weak and do not fail without a serious collision accident. We always do a full dismantle and close inspection on our rebuilds to detect any frame trauma or hidden damages. These are excellent strong castings.

·
Bronze member
1,826 Posts
Without more information and without the actual owner's input of what was going on, accident, etc. everything is pure conjecture. Not pretty but almost anything could have happened.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I spoke to a harley sales guy yesterday. They are using this as a sales tactic to downplay Indian. It kinda made me angry. As soon as I said I owned an Indian, he pulls out this picture.
There are about a million legit ways to use people's HD experiences as sales tactics for other manufacturers.

I think this has less to do with HD and more to do with salespeople in general. Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason.

·
Founding member / aka Husky Davidson. 10/09/14
1,680 Posts
I never liked the idea of using aluminum for a frame on bikes this heavy..
It’s like if you hit a Big pot hole you’ll need to have the bike X rayed to know it hasn't cracked.
The aluminum doesn’t bend, it fractures..

·
Silver member
4,674 Posts
To Dieselman G's point something has to give in collision. It is either the neck or the forks. I would guess the neck letting loose will lessen the impact of the force when you hit and probably not throw you as far off the bike.

Here are some crash test on a traditional frame. And no, I am not picking on HD by posting this, but this is the best crash testing I've seen on the internet...

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.