Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,352 Posts
good article.... it will be interesting to see how ATF will change and make everything competitive without killing the "Golden Goose"... Indian jumping back into flat track is really what has jumped AFT's growth.. fine line indeed... I like some of the comments and some are just inter-net horse shit.. kinda like around here on anything HD.. if I had to guess which major MFG is going to do the jump and take on Indian it won't be HD (as stated in the article they were going to quit anyhow).. it would be Yamaha... they are already being a quasi factory team and have won races.. although the next step is the hardest.. but AFT rules have made it damn near impossible to switch brands in the middle of the season

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
good article.... it will be interesting to see how ATF will change and make everything competitive without killing the "Golden Goose"... Indian jumping back into flat track is really what has jumped AFT's growth.. fine line indeed... I like some of the comments and some are just inter-net horse shit.. kinda like around here on anything HD.. if I had to guess which major MFG is going to do the jump and take on Indian it won't be HD (as stated in the article they were going to quit anyhow).. it would be Yamaha... they are already being a quasi factory team and have won races.. although the next step is the hardest.. but AFT rules have made it damn near impossible to switch brands in the middle of the season
But did you see the Yamaha teams were using Kawasaki engines ?
They make an interesting point about the size of the flywheels which explains the new rule change that limits the size of the flywheels for Indians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
5,281 Posts
“The two Yamaha-powered trackers entered for 2020 by Estenson Racing are one example, and trackers using the Kawasaki 650 cc twin have been competitive in recent years, especially on mile tracks with a tacky groove.”

There’s a comma separator after the word example...

·
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
“The two Yamaha-powered trackers entered for 2020 by Estenson Racing are one example, and trackers using the Kawasaki 650 cc twin have been competitive in recent years, especially on mile tracks with a tacky groove.”

There’s a comma separator after the word example...
Yeah I stand corrected
It will be interesting to see if any other OEM manufacturers are going to spend the money to be competitive in the Super Twins ?

·
Bronze member
3,352 Posts
I'm guessing KTM in 2021....
could be... but Yamaha already kinda is... the real interesting part is that for a period of time around 2010 Polaris owned 49% of KTM... that's where that morphodite Sling Shot came from... but I'll bet Swiss Auto is still trying to perfect the first FTR motor.... if they do I wonder what rules they could change?

·
Silver member
5,281 Posts
49%, sure about that? All I can find is at some point they owned 25% for a short period of time (2005 ish). Basically to create RFS 450 and 525 engined ATV.

Anyway, that was 15 years ago...

·
Bronze member
3,352 Posts
it was later than that and quite a bit more... KTM has or had a damn thing like the Sling Shot too developed about the same time... except it had twice the HP... don't know if they even make it or if it made it into construction.. and you're right they don't anymore... but racing for Polaris is more than just their Indian blood..

·
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it was later than that and quite a bit more... KTM has or had a damn thing like the Sling Shot too developed about the same time... except it had twice the HP... don't know if they even make it or if it made it into construction.. and you're right they don't anymore... but racing for Polaris is more than just their Indian blood..
Polaris takes racing seriously, they have won numerous championships in the AVT series racing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze Member
1,657 Posts
KTM may be the one who does it. When KTM decides that they are going to go full in and win a championship they are like a dog on a bone.

They did it with the Paris-Dakar rally and MX\SX championships. If they decide that they want to win an AFT championship they will.

·
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So will Indian ever make a bike for the production Twins series since this will be there 4th year ? IMHO I don’t think they ever planned on it.

·
Bronze member
1,502 Posts
Polaris divested of all KTM shares in 2007 and KTM had nothing to do with the Slingy-Thingy... The original goal of the partnership was to share platforms for off-road and to potentially see about creating two-wheel dirt vehicles for PII. Things didn't work out and the 2 year relationship ended amicably.

·
Bronze member
3,352 Posts
Developed at about the same time as Polaris was involved... like I said I have no idea if it ever made production... KTM had the first right to leave in the original contract and they did... and you're right it was friendly...

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Unless more money is brought into the series I don't think anything drastic like new MFGs coming in will happen until that changes. And I am also one that think the biggest move will be made by Yamaha. They are already knocking on the door. I venture to say flat track is yet to small and regional with too few cameras and butts in the bleachers to justify to cost of developing a team and machine to go hang out with drunken fair goers that accidently stumbled upon a race while blinded by their giant spool of cotton candy....
Even fairs are dying for all but hardcore mini donut fans...

·
Silver member
5,281 Posts
No I don’t think Polaris had anything to do with the KTM X-bow. The chassis was developed with Dallara, the drivetrain with Audi and the general design was done by Kiska. And yes it did go into production and is street legal in Europe.

And yes I want one...

That deal was mainly centered around sharing the RFS450/525 engine in quads afaik. And whatever the future may have held (which appeared to be not much)

·
Bronze member
3,352 Posts
No I don’t think Polaris had anything to do with the KTM X-bow. The chassis was developed with Dallara, the drivetrain with Audi and the general design was done by Kiska. And yes it did go into production and is street legal in Europe.

And yes I want one...

That deal was mainly centered around sharing the RFS450/525 engine in quads afaik. And whatever the future may have held (which appeared to be not much)
you're right... but do you think Polaris designed the Sling Shot?... it was reported at the time that the design came from Euro land... and at that time they were in cahoots with KTM... when it was developed Polaris couldn't even sell it in all 50 states...that is under a motorcycle...

Reactions: Max Kool
1 - 19 of 19 Posts