Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Silver member
4,513 Posts
Does a mini-bike count? My first "real" bike was a Kawasaki 175 enduro IIRC when I was 13. A lot of bikes followed. My favorites were my '68 Triumph Bonneville, 76' FXE Harley Shovelhead, and my current 2016 Indian Roadmaster.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine was a 1971 Suzuki T500 - the Titan. Twin cylinder, 2-stroke, sprayed for mosquitoes most of the time. Great fun. Rode that thing from Central Illinois to Cherokee, NC one weekend. Left at lunch on Friday and got back Sunday evening. I was tougher (and dumber) back then. My pictures are in storage but here's a reasonable representation:
2.jpg

·
Registered
210 Posts
1978 Jawa 50 - same as pictured below - lots of fun riding especially when you are 12-13 years old...
View attachment 581064
How cool! My first bike was a Jawa 50. I had plenty of fun but then came high school which took my on a 35 year journey before I got back on a motorbike: a 1986 Yamaha Virago 1100.
I had a lot of fun on that too!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mine was a 1977 KZ 400 bought new in 1978. My parents would not let me have a bike. I enlisted in the USAF and was stationed in Oregon, 3000 miles from home when I bought it. Taught myself to ride on the streets of base housing. 3 months later I sold it and bought a 79 Sportster. Also had an 81 Wide Glide, 84 Sportster, 85 Softail, 93 FLHTCU(Still have this one), 17 Vic Gunner and the 18 Springfield Dark Horse.

·
Bronze member
1,639 Posts
A Honda 90SS
1st was Honda 90.
Still had it after graduating high school, which was across a ‘canyon’ from home and I took it through there to see my girlfriend.
When I got to the school I went through the front doors for the fun of it, up the stairs to the second floor where I met up with a former math teacher and back down the smaller stairs on the opposite side. Was a tight fit but I got down and back outside.

Not sure what made me do it but I always figured it was probably because the canyon wasn’t an easy task with its steep sides... and being a little “90”. Adrenaline overload.

@Neosmith:
“had plenty of fun but then came high school which took me on a 35 year journey before I got back on a motorbike: a 1986 Yamaha Virago 1100.”

Yamaha Virago 750 before the Scout, and was only my 4th.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First bike I rode was a Yamaha 125 Enduro in 71. Wasn't quite tall enough for my feet to touch the ground so I would lean it against the barn or a tree and climb on and then take off. If I made it back to the barn I could roll to a stop and lean against the wall.. If not.. well.. ask me how I broke my collar bone.

First bike I owned myself was a GPZ 1100. I can neither confirm or deny that I used to take it out on the taxiway at the airport I worked at while on night shifts and do speed runs. That thing was a beast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 52 years old, and just started with motorcycles about 6 weeks ago.
My first one was Suzuki Burgman 650 - a large automatic scooter.
I had it for 2 weeks, but it did not feel like riding an actual motorcycle, so I exchanged it for Kawasaki Vulcan s 650.
I had this one for another 2 weeks (until 3 days ago), but it was not to my liking - the wind and road imperfections were too much of a distraction. Finally, 4 days ago I had an opportunity to test-ride Indian Chief Dark Horse, and I immediately decided that this one is for me. It was delivered yesterday. My first impression - this one has all the handling and all the stability I could wish for. For someone who is brand-new to riding, this might seem like an unlikely choice (given the very large engine and high weight), but it feels right to me. I think, this one really is a keeper.

Eugene.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a bike just like this one. 1988 Suzuki Katana. I just got in the Marine Corps and was at my first duty station Guard company West Loch in Oahu Hawaii. All I had was a permit for motorcycle license and the dealer sold me a brand new motorcycle. Didn’t know what the hell I was doing. I Must have stalled the bike 10 times on the way back to base. Good memories.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A Honda 90SS, I fell off it on my first ride.

View attachment 595837
What a great bike, I love these things! Wish I still had mine!

My first bike was an ex-Swiss army Condor A350. Picture a dirt bike with a re-badged Ducati engine and BMW everything else. I picked it up when they were importing them as surplus. Used to ride around the condo association and have the old folks call the cops on me. Huzzah!

141 - 152 of 152 Posts