Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Man-O-Man, I had a RUPP that I road all over NW Ark when I spent my summers at my Grandparents. There were no police to speak of in the area (Clifty Ark) back in those days. I don't even remember what year that bike was, but I gotta say it held up well as I gave it no mercy. Wish I had a pic to post.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2005 Suzuki Boulevard I bought new. I sold that and bought a 1980 GS750L when I needed to pay some crap off. Back on the good bike saddle again with my Scout Bobber

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know we are all here for the love of our Indian Motorcycles we ride. There was at one point when we got our first motorcycle. I like many others cut their teeth on the mini-bike before graduating to our first motorcycle that really got that fire lit to ride, and eventually end up with our beloved Indian.

Thought it would be interesting to find out what others first motorcycle was.

I rode a mini bike when I was first interested in two wheelers, rode it until I thought the wheels would come off, even after I out grew the mini-bike I continued to ride it. Then one Spring day when I got home after school, my step father took me out to the garage with a big smile on his face, when he opened the door, there sat a gently used 1969 Kawasaki CRT 120 Roadrunner, he handed me the keys and said it's yours and to be careful on it. I thought I had died and went to Heaven lol
All of a sudden I was the coolest kid in my tiny Montana town (at least in my own mind hehe)

I do remember a friend of my step father would come over riding a BSA 441 Victor, the guy always told me, if I could start it, I could ride it, but being so young there was NO way I could get the kick starter to move even the tiniest bit! Few weeks after I got my Kawasaki 120, he did finally start that fire breathing BSA by the steps so I could mount it and ride it around the block a few times, then when I came back I had to stop by the steps again so I could dismount the BSA...any way love walking down memory lane.

What was your first real motorcycle? The picture of the bike is not mine, but exactly like my first one - 1969 Kawasaki CRT 120.

View attachment 581039
1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD, paid $300 bucks for it... it was a POS but it ran and it was mine!!

·
Rider
931 Posts
1969 BSA Lightning. This isn't it, I was young and did not think of getting a picture of it. Looked same. I loved the heavy chromed gas tank and the BSA emblem.
I loved it, but hated it. Handled great. A reliability and parts nightmare. Should have bought a Honda 750 Four. I still trusted the bike magazines and thought the Brit bikes ruled.
I tell people that getting a BSA for a first bike was like losing your virginity to a girl with the clap.

1969 bsa.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
This was my very first bike, i was looking for a small 150cc just to do 18 miles to work and back, one thing lead to another and i finally took this fine lady home, she was with me for the past 4 years and over 25k miles of pure joy and fun. i traded it for my 2019 Chieftain Classic last month.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My first bike was a Honda 110 trail bike that I started riding around the age of 7 or 8. It was great for scooting around the ranch, chasing cows, and taking rough trails to remote lakes and locations above 10,000 ft elevations. I then took a break for about 30 years until I got most of the crazy out of my system and got a S60 as my first street bike and probably my last as it's everything I want in a motorcycle.

1981-honda-ct110-trail-bike-w-current-street-legal-ca-license-reg-americanlisted_71099953.jpg

·
Rider
931 Posts
This was my very first bike, i was looking for a small 150cc just to do 18 miles to work and back, one thing lead to another and i finally took this fine lady home, she was with me for the past 4 years and over 25k miles of pure joy and fun. i traded it for my 2019 Chieftain Classic last month.
View attachment 595504
How did you get the engine to look so nice & black?
This was recommended to me. Thinking about trying it
S100 engine brightener.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
First motorcycle I bought in the summer of 2008. A 1996 Suzuki Intruder with some slip ons that was the best sounding 800cc motor I ever heard. When I sold it I had put some extra halogen lights and mounted them on to the blinker bar. The guy who bought it already had one Intruder, and wanted another. This also inspired my dad to get an Intruder, too.

Then in 2012 I moved on and moved up to a 2005 Honda VTX 1300. Had white walls on it for a while. Then powder coated the rims black to go with the bags and just regular tires. Ended up with 70,500 miles on this Honda. Barely broke in! I put more than 55,000 "me" miles on it

Somewhere in BC Canada on my first long ride I ever did back in 2013.

St. Augustine Pass near Las Cruces NM. The White Sands Missile Range in the backround. This was the year the Seahawks won the Super Bowl. Myself and another guy who rode a 1800 VTX.

And now the 2019 RM. This one is just over 400 now. Guess I'll be calling the dealer to see what we will do about the 500 mile check soon. So far, it's amazing! I have all the things on it I never had before. Quite impressive.

·
Founding member
884 Posts
This is a great thread! I've seen a number of my bikes. So many of us had very similar beginnings. Very cool! :)
My first bike was a 1966 Honda 305 Scrambler:

Man, I loved that bike and I put the miles on it. I rode it from Prescott, Ariz. to Albuquerque one night, about 425 miles, through the rain with just a tee shirt on. Ah, youth. :)
My second bike was a red 1970 Kawasaki Mach III. A 500cc triple that was light and FAST! A great 2 stroke.

Man, do I have stories to tell about that bike! :) I've had quite a few motorcycles over the years but that Mach III stands out. It was a LOT of motorcycle at the time and I have great memories.

·
Bronze member
2,352 Posts
My first brand new bike was a 1966 Honda 305 Dream,white in color.I even have a picture of it with yours truely sitting on it,taken the day after I bought it,but dummy me doesn't know how to post pictures,hence the reason ya never see any posted on here.I mean,I can't be smart and GOOD LOOKIN too!! lol So you guys will just have to settle for the good lookin part and take my word for anything else!! lol lol Anything I had before that was something I picked up for junk and fixed it so I could drive it around the neighborhood,but not on the open road cause I wasn't old enough to do that legally. lol lol Dave!!!

·
Rider
420 Posts
My first brand new bike was a 1966 Honda 305 Dream,white in color.I even have a picture of it with yours truely sitting on it,taken the day after I bought it,but dummy me doesn't know how to post pictures,hence the reason ya never see any posted on here.I mean,I can't be smart and GOOD LOOKIN too!! lol So you guys will just have to settle for the good lookin part and take my word for anything else!! lol lol Anything I had before that was something I picked up for junk and fixed it so I could drive it around the neighborhood,but not on the open road cause I wasn't old enough to do that legally. lol lol Dave!!!
open picture and click on it right click copy, go to post right click paste. or use paperclip below to find picture and save.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My second bike was a red 1970 Kawasaki Mach III. A 500cc triple that was light and FAST! A great 2 stroke.
View attachment 595631
Man, do I have stories to tell about that bike! :) I've had quite a few motorcycles over the years but that Mach III stands out. It was a LOT of motorcycle at the time and I have great memories.
I had a H1 MachIII 500cc triple, I traded my 175 CanAm for it. To me it was all motor, poor brakes and poor handling- the back tire was not in line with the front. It would resist turning one way and drop easy the other way. What a wheelie machine though. 13 mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 152 Posts