Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

Registered
I know we are all here for the love of our Indian Motorcycles we ride. There was at one point when we got our first motorcycle. I like many others cut their teeth on the mini-bike before graduating to our first motorcycle that really got that fire lit to ride, and eventually end up with our beloved Indian.

Thought it would be interesting to find out what others first motorcycle was.

I rode a mini bike when I was first interested in two wheelers, rode it until I thought the wheels would come off, even after I out grew the mini-bike I continued to ride it. Then one Spring day when I got home after school, my step father took me out to the garage with a big smile on his face, when he opened the door, there sat a gently used 1969 Kawasaki CRT 120 Roadrunner, he handed me the keys and said it's yours and to be careful on it. I thought I had died and went to Heaven lol
All of a sudden I was the coolest kid in my tiny Montana town (at least in my own mind hehe)

I do remember a friend of my step father would come over riding a BSA 441 Victor, the guy always told me, if I could start it, I could ride it, but being so young there was NO way I could get the kick starter to move even the tiniest bit! Few weeks after I got my Kawasaki 120, he did finally start that fire breathing BSA by the steps so I could mount it and ride it around the block a few times, then when I came back I had to stop by the steps again so I could dismount the BSA...any way love walking down memory lane.

What was your first real motorcycle? The picture of the bike is not mine, but exactly like my first one - 1969 Kawasaki CRT 120.

View attachment 581039

Registered
I know we are all here for the love of our Indian Motorcycles we ride. There was at one point when we got our first motorcycle. I like many others cut their teeth on the mini-bike before graduating to our first motorcycle that really got that fire lit to ride, and eventually end up with our beloved Indian.

I rode a mini bike when I was first interested in two wheelers, rode it until I thought the wheels would come off, even after I out grew the mini-bike I continued to ride it. Then one Spring day when I got home after school, my step father took me out to the garage with a big smile on his face, when he opened the door, there sat a gently used 1969 Kawasaki CRT 120 Roadrunner, he handed me the keys and said it's yours and to be careful on it. I thought I had died and went to Heaven lol
All of a sudden I was the coolest kid in my tiny Montana town (at least in my own mind hehe)

I do remember a friend of my step father would come over riding a BSA 441 Victor, the guy always told me, if I could start it, I could ride it, but being so young there was NO way I could get the kick starter to move even the tiniest bit! Few weeks after I got my Kawasaki 120, he did finally start that fire breathing BSA by the steps so I could mount it and ride it around the block a few times, then when I came back I had to stop by the steps again so I could dismount the BSA...any way love walking down memory lane.

What was your first real motorcycle? The picture of the bike is not mine, but exactly like my first one - 1969 Kawasaki CRT 120.

View attachment 581039

[/

Registered
1972 Triumph Daytona 500

Attachments

Registered
My first bike was a slightly used CB350F 1973 Honda. Boy did it ride nice for its size had lots of power, was very smooth it was the first year that headlight On/Off switches were removed as dads 350 2cyclynder was a year older and still had the On/Off switch. Wish I still had her. Many Hondas and a Yamaha, since then.

Registered
First bike was a 1982 suzuki GS 750 E don't have any Pics of that bike Then went to a 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad and a love for baggers was born. Put 30000 miles on that Kaw.

Registered

View attachment 581039
Hodaka 90

Rider

this was my 1st bike. bought it used in 1973. Had no idea it was stupid fast. learned to ride it on the way home - 84 miles. use to tour with 1585188301436.png it... went to Yellowstone on it. Great bike!

Bronze member

Wish I still had it..

Registered
I also started on a mini bike around the age of 11. Even put a flag on the back of my jean jacket, emulating Peter Fonda in Easy Rider! Fast forward to many years later immediately following my divorce (1st wife was adamantly opposed to motorcycles), I bought my first real motorcycle, a new Honda Shadow 600. Rode that bike for a couple years until I pulled up to a stoplight and a lady on an identical bike pulled along side of me. Went out the next week and purchased a new 2000 Yamaha Road Star Millennium Edition which boosted the CCs from 600 on the Shadow to 1600 (largest production v-twin at that time) on the Road Star. Unfortunately, I wrecked that bike and initially swore off motorcycles. That mindset lasted about two weeks until I began my search for choppers. In 2006, I purchased a new, 2006 Big Dog Motorcycles K9, followed by a Big Bear Chopper Sled Pro Street 300 in 2013. Last October the K9 was wrecked which left me with just the BBC SPS300. Being recently retired, I wanted to take advantage of the additional free time by taking more road trips so I decided to investigate the "Bagger" world which led me to my 2018 Indian Chieftain Limited which was a "Program" bike. I purchased that earlier this month. Pictures of all below, with the exception of the mini bike!
IMG_4899.jpg
IMG_0621 K9 AND RIVER.JPG
2014-08-14 15.45.52 SLED.jpg
2018 Indian Motorcycle Chieftain Limited 1.jpg

Premium Member
I always wanted to ride dirt bikes when I was younger. Long story but it has to be genetics. My father has been riding since he could walk. I didn't meet him until later in life so it wasn't a learned thing and my brothers and sisters didn't have the bug like I had.

My mother was always afraid to get me anything so I never had that opportunity as a kid. Unfortunate since I grew up on a farm and have been operating tractors and pickups since I was 8.

Anyway... Fast forward to 2002 and I'm in the Marine Corps stationed in Iwakuni Japan. I'm 21 and my headmate (guy who shared the head with me... 1 bathroom connected 2 rooms) bought a new Harley Fat Boy from Australia. Before he took possession of it, we go to Hiroshima to look at accessories for the bike. The dealer was Balcome Motorsports and they sold Harley Davidson, BMW and Ducati. We happened to walk into the side where Ducati was and my jaw dropped. Holy shit what beautiful bikes.

I do my research and I come to the decision that I want a Ducati 748 Biposto in yellow. Only issue, Ducati Japan doesn't import the 748 Biposto (two seats). Fortunately, there's a shop called Red Baron that has hundreds of locations throughout Japan and they get bikes from all over the world. My other buddy is now interested in getting a US only version Yamaha R1 World Championship Edition. We go to Red Baron in Hiroshima and they have all dealers linked so you can see inventory. Wouldn't you know it, they had a 2001 Ducati Biposto in yellow and a R1 Championship Edition.

Best part of this story: My bike was around 楼1,400,000. Roughly $11,000 at the time. On base, yen could be obtained through 1 ATM or any cash cage in the club where the slot machines were. If you needed a large amount of yen, you needed to contact the bank (only 1 bank carried yen) and arrange the exchange. Monday I find out my loan was approved and I call the bank. I let the person know I will be exchanging around $11,000 for yen on Friday... "Ok, we'll have it ready for you".

Friday comes around and I run to the bank with my check and the teller looks at me as if I have 3 heads. She says, "we can't do this, we don't have enough yen. You should have called earlier so we could have ensured that we had enough". Oh, but I did call... on Monday. She leaves and comes back and says "we can cover it, just be aware that it won't leave much for everyone else". Not really understanding what that meant, I said, I'll take it.

I go to Hiroshima and buy the bike. The dealer didn't realize I didn't have a license and weren't expecting to need to deliver it down to the base. They were super accommodating and loaded the bikes and drove them down to the base for us. It was pretty late by the time they got the bikes unloaded and stored away in the garage we were sharing with a buddy. I walk across the street to the barracks and am hanging out in the smoking pit. EVERYONE there is bitching about not being able to get yen to go out in town. Next day, everyone is still talking about the base wide shortage of yen. It finally hits me that I'm the reason that NO ONE can go out in town that weekend. "huh, crazy". I don't think I ever fessed up to that... haha.

The night before the MSF course, I rode my bike for the first time. We took the long way around base so as not to get caught without a license plate and get pulled over. It was such a rush doing 25mph. We took the MSF safety course on base and while everyone drooled over my bike, I was urged to not kill myself. Man we tore up the roads in the mountains of Japan. We'd go on 6 and 8 hour rides all over the place. "They" say when you're at Iwakuni, you'll become a bible thumper, alcoholic or barracks rat. Instead, my buddies and I rode and drove all over Japan exploring. Definitely the best time of my life.

Ended up being hit once I got out of the USMC and moved to Beaufort SC to work at the Air Station here as a contractor. The bike wasn't damaged too bad but bad enough to be totaled. I had thousands and thousands in aftermarket parts on the bike. I met a guy who had more money than he knew what do do with and he had a 998S that he was making into a R. When he swapped out his 56mm carbon Terminigoni race exhaust for a titanium 60mm system, I got his take off for super cheap. He swapped out his magnesium Marcinisi rims for carbon fiber rims, got them for super cheap. etc, etc, etc. I was supposed to get the bike back as part of my settlement and was going to turn it into a race bike. The storage facility that was holding onto the bike "accidentally" sold it. I settled and got a whopping $2400 for the bike... the exhaust cost more than that.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts